Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Minimum Useage

I'm hoping to evetually get the C to the point where it'd be not used for work and would turn into a weekend/holiday/show type car. I was just wondering whats the longest you would leave a VR just sat, ie, not turned over or anything. I've always assumed cars don't like to just sit in storage.

Well the battery wont have enough charge to start it after 10-15 days (depending on condition of battery), so you'd have to charge it if you left it longer. I drive mine once every 10 days at the moment and it starts first time but turns over a few times.

Most important thing when storing it is to keep it dry, use a dehumidifier or a load of salt.

Mine lives in my garage - gets started and run up to temp at least every 10days/2 weeks.Had a golf before my C and the only issue i had with it standing was the bushes and rubbers perishin - At the end of last summer i went over my C and greased all bushes etc in an attempt to stop it - can only try. Havent driven it since mid of DEC tho :( - its undergoing some heavy TLC in prep for the summer :D

>triggermyson - just realised ure from cornwall ~ u usally at RTTS? remember a C like ures.

ast0311, not usually but I will be this year!

When I do drive mine I take it out for a good 20mins and make sure I warm the whole car up properly, don't take it out if its wet either.

don't take it out if its wet

Roll on summer!

triggermyson, sweet - defo see ya ~ feelin old tho, this'll be my 10th year. Know if any 1 else from here is goin?

No but there are a few members who live in Newquay & quite a few from SW not to mention others who will travel further afield.

I'll open an Event Announcement thread closer to the time.. :)

triggermyson, i might be making the long trip down this year to rtts, looks a really good event, plus a nice long run for the rado.

Ok i'm probably way off, I thoguht you'd require a substantial amount of charge to run the starter motor etc.

Good stuff g60griff :)

Leave both my Roccos on Sorn, garaged up for 6-7 months (during the winter and wet months), handturn the engine before first time firing them up, keep the battery charged (so that the immobiliser and alarm are always active), and that seems to be fine. I do have dehumidifiers inside to get the moisture out.

The Rado in the meantime only gets driven during the winter when it's dry (like today), and preferably on days, when the gritters finally decide to stay off the road. Pretty rare then that I take my Rado out during the winter :lol:

It could do with a waterproof car cover, I reckon, as it doesn't have a garage, and it seems to suffer a bit, as it never dries up fully (as opposed to when you drive it, and the wind dries up the car) after rain showers or cold nights (mildew, frost).

I just hate winter :-(

Tempest

I keep the Rado in the garage and just have it under a Tyvek Car Cover (Med), I do try to take on a long drive at least once a week, and have had no problems with a flat battery etc. yet (might invest in a battery charger though just in case)

Oh, and leave the handbrake off as if you leave it too long pads will bind to the disks, happened on my old Golf.... :?

Was going to ask: does a de-humidifier make all that much difference??

started mine for the first time for about 2 weeks and there wasnt enough power in the battery to start it, quick jump fired up straight away

What the hells drawing the power when its off?

Is it worth getting one of those solar powered trickle chargers when left?

mine also lives in the garage at the moment as its sorn etc, when its back legalised though it will be a weekend only, track car type thing. got my volvo bus for everyday running

I disconect my battery if it stands for long,last months instead of days.

I don't have a garage so couldn't do that. Would like to keep it alarmed.