Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

I am the only one who thinks the Corrado looks stupid.......

......When the spoiler is up......

I hate that stupid little thing, and I truly despite seeing corrado's parked up with it intentionally left "erect".

I have heard the same elsewhere, but I like it. Probably more for what it does than how it looks, if it was a touch deeper and more substantial at the sides it would look ace. But I still love watchin people watch it go down and point to their passengers.

i only put mine up manually to clean it these days.............when i first bought the car in 2001 i used to now and again leave it up at shows/meets etc

I wind mine back down whenever it'll let me! I hate the blasted thing.

does it affect the stability much if it's down all the time?

In short, "no".

You can't wind it down over 45mph for a start.

And it isn't actually useful until 75mph - hence the original cars popping their spoilers up at 75mph. VAG UK thought it might get bad press for selling a car that "encourages" the driver to exceed the national speed limit, so it (the activation speed) was lowered to 45mph.

I like it. It's cool.

Phat - get yourself a German import, and just make sure you never exceed the speed limit. Then it'll never get on your t*ts ;)

I think it's ok as long as you're are moving, not keen on pictures of the car with the spoiler stuck up, phallus/erection anyone?! I would imagine at high speeds it would have a purpose.

I love the spoiler. Its one of the defining features of the Corrado, and regardless of whether its a gimmick, I love it for what it is!

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the spolier actually to reduce the drag Co and hence improve speed and fuel consumption?

I don't think it was ever designed to perform any kindly of downforce/stability.

Look at the wind tunnel pictures on the Corrado Club website

http://www.corradoclub.org

it does look a bit odd and out of place when its up, someone (biggerbighugemassiveben?) was talking about getting theirs disabled and smoothed in, which would look well smart. Its a bit of a gimick and 'is' fun to pop up at traffic lights to see the reaction of people behind for the first few months of ownership but after the novelty wears off I found I hardly even noticed it going up/down and I deffinatly prefer the lines of the car with it down.

The spoiler moves up and into the airflow. I'm pretty sure you've got your facts backwards. I have seen the figure for spoiler-assisted downforce quoted somewhere but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I can remember it being higher than I expected though.

I've never really viewed the spoiler as anything other than a marketing gimmick myself...but it worked on me.

In short, "no".

...And it isn't actually useful until 75mph - hence the original cars popping their spoilers up at 75mph. VAG UK thought it might get bad press for selling a car that "encourages" the driver to exceed the national speed limit, so it (the activation speed) was lowered to 45mph.

55mph actually :wink:

unless my speedo is seriously overreading, I think it's the later cars that had a 45mph setting.

Also, it's probably been discussed in loads of places before, but I'm pretty sure the spoiler is intended to reduce the aerofoil effect of the car body shape at speed, which will make the car feel light and unstable, admittedly you'll need to be doing well over the UK speed limit to get that effect, but the C was intended for the autobahn and not British roads, and don't forget what happened to the spoiler-less TT's when they first came out.

David.

Early cars are 45 and the later ones are 55... I have a feeling that Kev has dissabled his as he too didn't like it.

tbh I like it and think it's a nice feature although it does look a bit too skinny from behind :?

I've a feeling the whole useful/usless spoiler issue has been talked about before and the outcome was that it provides no downforce, instead it modifies the airflow over the back of the car at higher speeds to reduce drag. A spoiler that size is never going to produce enough downforce, even at 100MPH, to make a useful difference.

Early cars are 45 and the later ones are 55... I have a feeling that Kev has dissabled his as he too didn't like it.

tbh I like it and think it's a nice feature although it does look a bit too skinny from behind :?

yeah, but my 1990 raises at 55 and it hasn't had any replacement spoiler units or anything, all original bits :?

David.

jay has disabled his , he says it makes the car look untidy

it doesnt bother me , nickVR6 covered this mentioning all the pics are with spoilers up and i reckon thats because people take pics when they have just cleaned the car

Well mines a German import.... and even going up at 75mpg it's annoying. It just reminds you that you've broken the speed limit somewhere on your journey.....