Sign in to follow this  
sharlie1982

MOT Failure

Hello to all. :D

My K plate Rado G60 had its MOT today. It Failed becuase the lad who took the test said "It won't pass an emissions test without a CAT mate" :(

When I bought the car last May with an MOT certificate, the car was not fitted with a CAT. There is just a pipe with an O2 sensor plugged into it.

I have a Magnex CAT back system fitted.

I cant believe that I am gonna have to buy a CAT at around £400+ just to pass the MOT. :mad:

The car was registered on 11/08/1992

I have lots of receipts for work done prior to my ownership at Jabbasport. On one invoice even they recommend a new exhaust with CAT bypass to be fitted. :?

Sorry to drag on, but I need to sort this out.

HELP :?

either look in the for sale thread for a 2nd hand one or try taking it to where it was mot'd last time, post in the wanted thread

have you tried pricing a sports cat , milltek or supersprint ?

I thought the cat requirement came in sometime in 1993?

you need an MOT tester to look it up.

Catalytic Converter Replacements

For vehicles registered before August 1992 catalytic converters are not a legal requirement for MOT testing. They can be removed and replaced with straight through pipes. Benefits are up to 2mpg saving at cruising speed, small increased mid range power,any garage can check emissions, no more rotten egg smells, standard mild steel exhausts will last longer due to reduced sulphur which is a by-product of the catalytic converters.

http://www.senator24v.co.uk/cats.htm

To decide whether or not a vehicle should have a catalytic test the MOT garage will have an official booklet which clearly states not only which vehicles should be so tested but also what the limits should be for that specific vehicle.

Certainly most ‘K’ registered vehicles would need a cat test. I suggest you go to the garage and ask them to again check in their emissions booklet with respect to your vehicle.

http://www.motester.co.uk/qanda2.html

clear as mud :(

Your final alternative is to telephone the VOSA ‘hotline’ the number will be on the reverse of the MOT failure certificate, and ask their advice.

For vehicles registered before August 1992 catalytic converters are not a legal requirement

Sounds like you're 11 days late then.

Did they actually test it or just said it wouldn't pass without a cat?

On the new computerised test, you get two fast idle tests (~ 3000rpm) and a natural idle test (600-800rpm).

On the fast idle, CO needs to be 0.30% or less to pass on both runs.

On the natural idle test, CO needs to be 0.50% or less to pass.

HC (hydrocarbons) needs to be 200ppm or less to pass

They also monitor lambda probe activity too now - must be within 0.97 to 1.03

If you're within the acceptable limits, it should pass, with or without a cat.