Sign in to follow this  
corrado g

CORRADO THIRD BRAKE LIGHT

you dont want a US spec brake light IMO

too low on looks `stuck on`

have a look at haywires gallery for a good alternative

ben

What I did was get a generic Hella light from Halfords, took the necessary bits out of it and grafted it into the upper tailgate trim. TBH I like mucking about and experimenting with things so gave it ago when I was bored one evening :-) The American 3rd light didn't really appeal as it just looks unsightly imo and is a bit of work to fit. Not really what I'd call a "high level" brake light either, especially when viewed from a HGV.

But here's mine anyway in a bit more detail. Excuse the filth on the 3rd pic, she's a daily runner :-)

EDIT: Trigger snuck in there whilst typing this, LOL!

off.JPG

Dscf0117.jpg

night.JPG

I gave that a go but the Hella ones were actually brighter in the end. I did play with ballast resistors though, you need a hefty one (5W IIRC) to prevent them from blowing.

It's been on there for over 2 years and been perfectly reliable. I often see vectras etc with an LED or 3 blown, but my home made effort has not suffered from that...touch wood.

imoressive yeah, but I really dont like the led's driled into the spoiler like that.

I actually really like the US 3rd light. The size and ugliness of it actually makes me want one.

But on the other hand a homemade high level light like Kevs would do the trick nicely!

corrado g, take some pictures as you go & maybe you could write a guide for whe wiki... :)

My method could do with some minor improvments.....

1) The whole upper trim post fitment would benefit from a retrim in vinyl to 'cover up' the work and give a consistent OE look.

2) A deflector plate is needed to prevent the tailgate glass bouncing the red light into the back of the car.....but that doesn't bother me as I know it's working but you don't even notice after a few days anyway.

The spoiler mounting method was what I wanted to do originally but I didn't want to touch the bodywork for the sake of a minor mod like that.

I managed to fit all if the wiring in and connected it up to the light cluster and got it working. Just need to screw the light to the upper tailgate trim to make it more secure. I have the same problem with the light making the rear screem turn red, I notice it even more at night. Will have to think of something. I think that this brake lamp is way better than the US spec one which you can't see unless the spoilers up by that time it would have gone back down again and the HGV drivers can now see when the brakes are on. Thanks for sharing your idea it was much appreciated.

Kev, do you have any other pics you cold post up? BTW, where's Henny, not seen him on the forum for a while?

After reading this have just completed my own high level light. Using one from Ebay (for about £10) and grafting it into the trim on the tail gate. Plenty of filler, sanding primer and paint and quite happy with how it's turned out. Hopefully some of the local Chelsea tractors may actually see me braking now :lol: :lol: