Sign in to follow this  
Will

VR6 Handling issues

just one thing, the best handling cars (IMO) do often seem to be the ones that bite back really badly past the limit, and deposit you in a hedge (a la pug) (IMO)

Definitely. Less body roll, so rather than leaning more you lose the back. 205s only a problem if you lift off or brake mid corner though. Keep your right foot planted and it'll pull you out of most things.

Like you say though Double-6, you need a lot of balls and the older I get, the smaller mine are becoming!!

I suspect both cars would be trounced on the "twisty b-road test" by a 1970 Mini Cooper S, regardless of how well endowed the driver is.

Does that prove the pointlessness of this off-topic section of the thread? ;)

nope :)

but you're right, because minis (proper ones) don't actually have to slow down for corners at all! i have recntly been thinking of getting one again actually

But hey, like I said it's possible I have a prob with my VR!

And going back to that - LOL! - doesn't sound like there's anything significantly wrong, sounds like the key areas have been addressed. It's just that time of year where you get a slimey sheen on roundabouts and even my mate's normally limpet like impreza runs wide in these conditions :lol:

The factory camber is -1.2 degrees. That's a bit too much imo, try dialling it back out to -1 degree. I've tried -0.8 and that's good too. That much negative camber can prevent the tyres leaning over and biting, it's one reason why the VR has 50 profile 15s, to try and counter the neg camber a bit. If you run 17s, then things just get worse if sticking to the -1.2 camber and obviously the lower you go, then again, just makes matters worse. The pug and Golf run positive camber, so have slightly less turn-in reaction speed, but more grip as the outer tread blocks are doing more work.

Obviously the VR will run wide initially because the bulk of the frontal weight is forward of the axle line, but you can reduce it significantly with an uprated rear ARB and a rear brace. Engine mounts too..... Vibratechnics mounts will keep that heavy lump still mid bend whilst not allowing any additional vibes into the cabin.

Plenty of things you can do to kill that understeer.....and get a quaife ;-)

And on 205s again, I've been in a Dimma Mi16 converted jobbie and that thing was crazy, if a little hard i.e. rock, in the suspension department!

To totally counter what Kev just said mine grips amazingly with 1.7 camber on the front, even at this time of year. :D

I owned a 1.9 Gti 205 for six years, excellent car. I've now owned 3 VR6s in both Golf and Corrado format. The thing with the Corrado is that its much more of an all round package, its not tiring to drive, its effortless in comparison to the pug. I have an awesome set of roads to get to work, 20 miles of fast A/B roads and 10 miles of mega twisty/cambered lanes. The pug was in its element on the narrow stuff, so chuckable, lightning fast response, steering feel that the Corrado can never dream of. You can feel everything, you know when things are getting hairy, every imperfection of the road...you know about it. The Corrado is no where near as chuckable round those lanes and it feels big, you can fit a pug past anything when you meet another car! However get the Corrado on one of the straights or a high speed sweeping bend and it amazes me every time how much speed it can carry. Thats the thing, the Corrados high speed handling and stability is as impressive as the Pugs B-road prowess, its horses for courses. All this talk of power/weight and no-ones mentioned gearing and feel!