Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Forgot about petrol cars & their fuel consumption!

A friend of mine just picked up a Golf V5 (the later 20V, 170BHP one) - and we drove into Nottingham yesterday for a football match.

Few things. Firstly, that V5 engine sounds fantastic. Matches the noise of the VR6 for me - I reckon with a BMC CDA on it, it would sound superb. I don't know if thats just because i've been stuck with diesel for so long but really really good soundtrack.

Secondly you forget how smooth a petrol engine is. It sort of helped put it into context really as it was very similar to my car inside but obviously the power plant totally changed the way the car behaved - I can see why Kevhaywire berates the diesels as agricultural and unrefined now.. the V5 felt like it was, to borrow a Clarkson phrase, powered by double cream!

Lastly though.. talk about dire fuel consumption! It averaged 20MPG on light urban traffic and struggled to get above 32MPG on motorway driving - though that was with 4 blokes in the car at a steady 80MPH down the M1.. I hit nearly 40MPG driving home from my mates yesterday on what was all of a 2 mile drive!

Going out in that car has really got me thinking about getting a petrol car again but my word that fuel consumption just reminds me of the reasons why I got out of it in the first place! :|

Why is it taking Jim so long to figure out something that we've been telling him for the past 2 or 3 years? :lol: ;)

Because of my healthier bank balance thanks to not owning a petrol guzzling, parts swallowing, insurance company christmas party funding retro dub ;)

*tinglingsoundofRadokeyson Tempest'skeychain* :lol:

Sod the fuel consumption: My business partner also complains and complains about the high fuel consumption of his Audi S4 (Turbo Quattro 230 bhp 20V engine, that's the start of it, can take this much higher, if his wife let's him :lol:), but then when you do plant your foot down, yes, that roar, that thrust, lovely :-)

Tempest

I have to say , that me and wifey were discussing the derv this morning and saying how difficult it will be to sell it if someone expressed interest in it, the running costs are next to nothing, i'm thinking of maybe keeping it.

Live for today, you cant take you money with you!

If you can get a C instead of the diesel where it wont affect your financial security then do it. Whats the point of playing it safe when you can have fun.

Ah but Jim, if you don't have the money in the first place because it's been spent on petrol then you don't worry about it :D

Because of my healthier bank balance thanks to not owning a petrol guzzling, parts swallowing, insurance company christmas party funding retro dub ;)

:lol: :lol:

That should be the Corrado's tag-line!!!

I see what ya saying Jim, it's all about whether you mind chucking a load of money at your car and having a good time in it, or if you'd rather spend less and not have quite the enjoyment...

Thats the dilemma. Cars are, in my opinion, my hobby and i'd like to spend money on them as such and enjoy them rather than use them as a tool.

But i'm hopefully about to be moving out soon and just want a reliable daily hack and one thats not going to break the bank. I'm just afraid of Rado ownership again though must admit i'd still consider a nice tidy early valver!

16v, he said he wants a tidy one :lol: :wink:

Is keeping the derv aswell as a cheapish valver out of the question jim? sorta the best of both worlds?

Did I read "valver"? What happened to VR6-plans? :lol:

Could always just go up that incremental step and go for a G60, now there's fun :-)

The German TDI is still available, Zoran chip awaiting, too :-)

Tempest

I have the exact opposite dilemma, I am doing 300+ miles per week and could be saving myself a fortune by getting a diesel, but just cant get rid of the G.

I enjoy my 35 mile drive to work, but know i'd hate it in a diesel. Driving the mrs mk2 GTi is bad enough!

That German derv one looks cracking! Lovely colour. LHD though...

Jim, why don't you get hold of a tidy valver and drop a chipped 130 or 150 diesel lump into it? Early valvers are cheap as chips at the mo'. Would be a nice little project. I'm sure Steve would help ya out. Best of both worlds!

the best thing about going to work is driving there and back , i've tried the route your on jim and i hated it ,i couldnt even be bothered to wash the car , i enjoyed the economy and the park it where you like without a glance back but that isnt what its about for me, to own a corrado it has to be a hobby and for me cars always have been and i missed that :-(

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice...... very nice....

We know of a 1.8 valver in black for sale (not on here obviously) for £1200... you just cant go wrong at that price...!

take a trip to the lakes buy this , i dont see how you could lose

Steering wheel's on the wrong side :lol:. Corrado's were meant to be LHD, as they were designed and built in Germany for primarily the German market :-)

Nice alloys on that valver, almost thought for a minute it was my C, as mine's got the same alloys (Momo Arrows) and the same colour (alpine white). 1000 quid? Gosh, tempted for a daily driver (as so far I've not been successful with buying bulk standard cars for daily use :lol:).

Jim, go for it, I would even look after it for you, as my hands are itching again to do some work (running out on my 3 :-) ).

Tempest