Sign in to follow this  
tarche2

Suspension Preferences and reccomendations!

High guys,

Corrado gonna be on the road next month so looking into sorting bits out.

Can you guys help me with a suspension situation.

its 1990 1.8 16v. I want to put it on 7.5" x 16" alloys running 195/45/16 tyres and lower it. I dont want to cut the arches of have them rolled.

Do I:

A) Lower 40mm on Gmax shocks and springs to be safe and then uprate Antiroll bars to stigg up a bit.

B) Lower 60mm on Gmax Shocks and springs risk it and uprate antiroll bars.

or

C) Just buy coilovers and be able to adjust it all round???? :?:

Anyone running any of these setups? Rubbing probs? Pics??

Also what coilovers do I go for??? Baring in mind this is gonna be my only car and has to be fairly practicle but still fun! Oh and G60 brak and engine setup are future plans so reply away please :D

You'll get hundreds of recommendations as suspension is purely subjective, but it all boils down to personal preference and budget.

I agree with Kev, from my experiece either coilovers or a good quality shock spring combination(koni or bilstien shocks and H&R or Eibach springs)

if you get cheap suspension your car will be a pig to drive

i have heard good things about gmax but on golfs not rados. don't know on rados.

supposed to be very good for the money though.

drop it 60mm and see what happens. if it's poo sell the kit for 150 and you've only lost 50 squid :)

then again, you can get highsports for 350 and konigsports for 450 now, so you pays your money..........

Totally agree with the above get the best you can afford and if you dont need coilovers (ie you dont want to play with the ride height) go for a better quailty non coilover set up. KW and HR do some well priced non coilover set-ups with the added bonus of the heretage in all things suspension wise.

As everyone has said - suspension is very much a case of you get what you pay for.

The two most popular setups on the forum seem to be Koni TAs with H&R springs or FK Konigsports.

That doesn't mean by any stretch that they're the only two setups worth having, that you'll like those setups or that there aren't better ones available tho.

Anyone here using fk highsports?? Is the ride anygood? Would u need spacers with the setup I stated at the beginning?

tarche2, if you do a search on G-Max springs you'll find quite a couple of bad reports on them. I had a set and wouldn't buy them again.

tarche2, if you do a search on G-Max springs you'll find quite a couple of bad reports on them. I had a set and wouldn't buy them again.

See I have had 4 sets but never on a raddo only golfs and fiestas so thats why I am asking peoples opinions now its all very confusing!

i had a set of gmax in a car before, shocks and spring setup, it was way too hard for road use and too soft for track, just my experiece though

tarche2, i tried dirtysouth's valver on highsports and was suprised at how good they are. he has them wound right down so it's pretty darn solid, but not uncomfortable at all. not harsh or crashy, just very solid with excellent body control etc :)

Yeah, it is all a bit confuddling, perhaps it would be a good idea for us to have a deffinitive 'what suspension' thread for people to air their views?

I dont know I just want my raddo to be perfect!!!! Oh Walesy not kissing arse but f**king love those wheels on ur car in sig! A++++

Aye, she's gone, and so are the wheels :cry:

That particular rado was lowered 40mm with Apex springs , I found them to be pretty good for the money.

I dont know I just want my raddo to be perfect!!!! Oh Walesy not kissing arse but f**king love those wheels on ur car in sig! A++++

please, no mod-licking on here mate ;)

Ill get my coat! lol! I have no idea what to do now! Think I may get some Highsports £401 inc del! Does that sound good?

Personally, I would only ever buy a "Big Name" if I were doing something as important as suspension: -

FK

KW

Koni

Bilstein

Eibach

H&R

(possibly some others)

You might as well buy stainless steel if your planning on keeping the car along time. KW and Koni do these along with others. I wouldn't buy Spax, Gmax, Avo or anything like that. Big companies have done the R&D

Leave it standard until you can afford a good setup.

No point buying coilovers unless you intend to alter the height now and again as some good shocks and springs will be cheaper and you'll probably prefer them on normal road conditions.

You pays ya moneys......

Anothewr thought was some eibach springs 35-25mm drop on standard shocks! Just to sort the hieght out! Has anyone done this before?

If you put lowering springs on standard shocks it will ride terribly because the shocks will be continually bottoming out.

I had Eibach springs with Koni TAs on my VR when I bought it and the ride was very stiff and crashy. They might be better on the valvers, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

You should really uprate the shocks if you are doing springs.

Eibach are a good make of springs however and aslong as you don't lower more than 30mm you might get away with it on standard shocks. It will decrease the life of your standard shocks though

Eighbach springs are desing to be used with standard shocks accoding to the site!

"Eibach Springs

Sporty look by lowering the vehicle.

A progressively firmer spring characteristic than the factory springs.

Comfortable ride quality.

Designed to be fitted with standard factory dampers."

:?