Sign in to follow this  
Adam Darby

VR6 tapping noise

hi all my mate has just bought a VR6 corrado body is mint but engine has done 160k which is tapping (or rattling). i know these engines have cam chains, he said he doesnt no if its had the cam chain done or not but the guy just said it needs a service lol. It didnt have any oil in it at all off the dipstick when i looked and he drove it home and has been thrashing it about a bit like that. does it sound like the cam chains or something else, and how much will it cost for him to have the chains done. cheers

Could well be the timing chain & tensioner although thrashing it about with no oil wont do any favours to the engine or the way it sounds. The chain rattling noise is usually most noticeable around 1200revs and sounds a bit like a marble in a can! It could just be tappet noise.

Chains/tensioner job usually costs £400-£600 but lots of people get the clutch done at the same time because it's easily accessable at the time and wont cost much extra.

cheers what about the head what kind of valves does it have could it be them. dont forget the engine has done 160k what mileage should the chains be done

Most people get the chains done at around 100k or a little above. Mine is on almost 130k with original chains Andi the CF admin has done over 200k on original chains & tensioner.

The actual cause of the noise is friction from the chain on a worn tensioner, it is the tensioner that causes the problem.

right ok but whils its down that far he should get the chains done any other problems to look out for on a high milage vr cos he is not sure if its been looked after

Get some decent oil in it, if its been run low I'd change it anyway. See how it sounds then.

If there is no or little OIL in there the tappets will be making a right old noise. A top up to the correct level will quieten them down.

Yes it could of. I wouldn't drive any car at all if it is very low on oil. Even if he has to drive it to the garage to get serviced I would top it up with oil before anyway. Id rather spend £20 on some good oil than a few hundred quid on engine parts.

Erm.. driving VR6s (or any engine) hard without oil is gonna cost you one engine in pretty short time. Fix it, quick.

VR tappets are hydraulic so they are gonna be noisy without any oil in there. Stick some oil in straight away and see if it stops. Running the engine without oil is gonna wreck the bearings!

Did the oil light come on at any time?

Was this a serious question Adam ??

LOL i ment any other damage, it was very low the oil light came on it took 2 liters before it showed on the dip stick and he had been driving it for a couple of days like taht had giving it some too stuipd realy what you wreckon. its already done 160k so it will be i bit worn as it is???