Sign in to follow this  
GRINGOG60

Late Heater Controls?

Hi

Probably waondering why id want to do this but.. My mates keep

taking the Pxss saying that the dash on my c is the same as that on a Mk2 Astra, and i can kinda see their point- the heater controils are exactly the same and situated in the same place . Does anyone no what's invovled in changing to later spec ones- i.e from the sliding one to the round "knob" ones? It also makes the car a little more modern i think :?

Someone help or i'll have to start knee capping them! :twisted:

Don't do it!

The later ones are crap - keep breaking. The early ones might look a little "functional", but they're cheap and cheerful and strong by comparison...

... is my observation!! :)

Sadly I have no idea how much work it might be, so can't really help, sorry.

I agree with dr_mat - take it from me, the later style controls are very flimsy (mine broke about a year ago). They are made of plastic, and not very good quality plastic at that!

If you really want to do it I would guess you would need the complete dash as that would make the fitment easier (you would also have the updated vents and switches then).

Why not try something even better - climatronic from a MK4 Golf or even a TT dash like James Renshaw :?:

You will need the centre panel for the dash along with all the vents, plus the ashtray/lighter and the heater controls themselves.

They are a bit fragile as has already been mentioned, but are the same as that found in the 1992-94 Passat.

If you're going to do it, you also need to consider changing the door cards for the later type

All of the above means that you'll need later-type switches (the light switches are also pretty poor) which in turn means you need to replace the looms in the door and behind the dash.

Not a small job!

The late controls are fine so long as the heater cables aren't stiff/jammed.

Some Passat ones have an extra lever which can be deleted if desired. The Passat one also has a 5 pin fan connector, Corrados have 6 pin connectors but the 6th pin is inactive, so don't be put off by that upon initial inspection. You also need to swap the passat optics over with the Corrado ones and the fan swich. But these steps are only strictly necessary if you want to maintain the original corrado look and feel.

I paid £10 for two good passat controls, so they are very cheap but many Passat ones in the scrappers are busted also, which is a pain. I had to look through 8 passats to get mine.

Kev