Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

G60 to VR6

I'm getting to a point now where my g60 just won't give me much more power for my bucks. So I've been thinking of either having a VR6/1.8T conversion or buy a VR6 and start again.

What's the best route to take? Is it cheaper to start again with VR6 or have a conversion done.

If I was to go down the conversion route what else needs changing on the G60 and does anyone know a rough cost?

Cheers

What sort of power are you after? Are you thinking of charging the VR6? Think I'd go down that route rather than the 1.8T. The sound of a supercharged VR is special!

ooooo if ya charged the VR mmmmm

Only thing is mate your have to be best friends with the man at the tyre shop :D

AndyvRS, If I was to go down the VR6 route I'd definitley supercharger it. I want around 280-300bhp as I think thats plenty for 2 wheels!!!

G60Dub, I got some F1 for £50 each last year which I think is ok, so superchargering it is!

Don't do I have conversion or buy a VR6 Corado?

buy a VR and start from scratch.... yes if you just swap the engine you'll be able to keep your wheels, exerior styling, interior etc but the engine swap would be more pricey and more hassle... especially as there are some lovely VR's about at the mo (our mate just bought a minter for £2900)...

good luck whatever you do....!

scarlett, Most people I've spoke to say just start again. You'll have a nice soild car instead of an issues with that and this from the engine swap.

Then all I need to do is supercharge it and away I go....happy again.....hopefully.

your cars a beauty thou will see henny he and blue joe and pulling nearly 300bhp i think from there g60! i dont hink that would cost anymore to do that than start again and charge your vr! andy

This may be considered sacrilege, but you can get 300bhp from the G60 engine relatively easily by ditching the charger and going for a turbo... couple of guys on here are running G60 Turbos, but I can't for the life of me remember who!

Just searched and it's IHIG60 and g60dave :)

If you're thinking of going VR then definately just buy the whole car! Sell your G60 whack a supercharger in there.. :)

will i got an idea get both but but keep the G Hidden for weekends! as its much more fun!

just thinking 300bhp in G60 and 300bhp in VR both with LSD's surely g60 would win as gonna be quiet a bit lighter isnt it

Wow just read the posts by g60dave & IHIG60 can't believe they're get 300+bhp from this mod! :-)

Now I'm really confused, whether to stay with the 1.8 1H block or just sod it all and go for a VR6.

Does anyone know what figures you can expect from a tuned VR6 with a supercharger? Plus does the engine need upgrading in anyway?

c

Just remember the Vrs "can" be expensive as they get older especially if they need any standard engine work doing on them - the chains, if bores are shagged new pistons, etc etc etc etc etc!!

^^^^^

What he said! Besides, if you've spent all this time and effort getting yout G to look and drive the way you want it, swapping the G-Lader for a turbo will be the easiest, quickest, and probably most reliable way to get the power you want, as those 1.8 8V blocks are pretty indestructible!!!

the PG engine is strong but it isn't a G60 when the chargers gone. its not a G60 turbo or anythnig like thAT. ITS A TURBO 8V. it will provide better power than a G60 but its a bit of a pita on the counter-flow head. its all about flow.

look at some of the US spec G60's there are some very high spec ones and not many make 200whp let alone 300. id have a tenner with you neither joe or henny have 300hp from thier G60. no offence guys, youve both stuck with the G60 and made the best of it. they will be fast but not 300hp. my G60 is pretty fast, it wont be in their league, probly 30 hp down but i can still keep with a 280hp-300hp subaru mid range.

From doing my conversion which is coming along im quickly learning that a corrado isn't the best place to start for a fast car if you want easy mods.

Yeah id agree with turbocharging or tuning your G60, it looks like youve spent/done a fair bit to your g60 as it is,think it'd be daft to sell it to get a standard vr6 and start again, but if thats what you'd do?

All depends on budgets aswell mate?

The thing is I have a few things which need sorting like the heating as the matrixs has gone and the sun roof is not sliding back. All of which are time and money.

Also I was thinking upgrading to a VR6 means ABS, air con heated seats etc.

The only way to work this out is going to be the cost of both ooption I think.

You can do the sunroof and matrix together in a day, and neither will cost more than £40 each to do...

Do some of the US guys run the later 8V crossflow heads on turbo'd 8V engines to improve the flow...?