Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

car stopped... again

ok, this is how it went down:

I was just sliding around a bit, since it has fell about 20cms of snow today, when the car just kind of slowly choked when I was idling in a slight uphill waiting to cross the road. It sounded like it didn't get gas, but that's not for certain. I tried to re-ignite it again, but the car only turned over three or four slow times, like the battery was dead. Then me and my friends tried to push it, but the passenger side (right hand) back wheel didn't turn. So we had to get a car or two to pull it to the side of the road, and that was barely possible because of all the snow and ice. I then got a hold of a flat bed truck and got it home. The wheel turned slowly, but it looked like it had the hand break all the way up or something, if you know what I mean. Once it hit ice, it just slid.

so now it's sitting outside in a parking lot freezing. Right before it went out, I heard something I thought was the wind blowing hard (it really is blowing outside), the noise came from the right side, mainly from the back. It came and went away twice. Could this be the fuel pump? They were changed for not too long ago, both of them. When I stopped, it sounded like there was a big chunk of ice going back and forth in my gas tank. It really slammed into the sides, so you could hear it very well.

that was kind of all of the facts. any ideas? This car seems to like to go completely bananas when it's the worst time possible for it to do so, and it usually f*cks up a lot of things at the same time whenever it has the chance. My car is evil.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, probably not the technical support your looking for but

My car is evil.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your car would maybe like one of those Bad Boy Bonnets :lol:

Hope you get it sorted :)

haha, nah i'm not stressed, I just hate my car, that's all. :p seriously though, I just feel so screwed over every time it does that. a friend of mine has a g60, which hasn't given him any trouble yet.

oh well :) any help would still be appreciated.

How actually *cold* is it there right now?

I mean it's pretty bloody cold right here in the south of England 52 degrees latitude...

I drove it okay to school and back though? It's about -6 out right now, but there has been anything from -25 to +7 back to -5ish the last week.

dont know about the starting maybe your emobilizer is draning the battery or some thing but sounds like the return sprong on the caliper has made a bid for freedome my rears did it a little while ago not to bad to fix about £60have you got a leak on your fulle cap might have watter in there freezing up. hope this is some help.

vwsam20, I do not have an immobilizer, but I do have a turbo timer which is draining a wee bit, and the stereo might too (a tiny bit, that is.). I am going to buy a new north star g2200 or g2700 battery in a few days / weeks. I'm sure I'll get it started again. The major problem is the rear wheel. Could it just be the parking brake wire that's fecked?

cheers, kris. sorry for dragging on about this, but I really want the car back to at least driveable shape! Could it just be ice and snow that's blocking the brakes?

haha, I hate my car too!

Maybe cos there was heavy snow some might have got under the bonnet and froze the whole engine

my car didnt like the temp the other night -6 , went out in the morning car wouldnt start so i pushed it out the way to get me other car and there were 2 core plugs sitting in the icy puddle looking at me all sad :lol!: , not impressed with the previous owner or my self for not checking the bloody antifreeze ,sorry selbekk not much help to you though buddy :shock:

the car has never been driven in the winter before, but it has been in norway since 02, so I'm sure the guy before me used a sensible amount of anti freeze. It usually starts up all right, it has just cut out on me twice now, which is starting to pizzle my nizzle off, naa mean?

the brake sounds like a frozen caliper it might free its self but a mk4 rear caliper will be a permanent fix. dying engine could be a dead battery due to extereme temps slipping serpentine belt,, failing that the forces of evil are strong with you you young selbekk :turn-l:

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (I think that's the right term), meaning it absorbs water from the atmosphere. If it hasn't been changed within the last couple of years, there could well be enough there to freeze in the conditions you have. However, surely this would affect all the brakes to some extent.

Another possibility is that one of your rubber brake hoses has perished and internally collapsed. This makes it act as a one way valve, the brake will come on, but not release properly.

Third option, your brake caliper needs overhauling.

the forces of evil are strong with you you young selbekk :turn-l:

haha you make me sound like skywalker :lol:

I'll get out and take the battery home today and charge it. If I just get it inside my garage (200m away on public road), it would be ok, since i'm going to dublin all next week and I'd hate for it to sit out in the snow and freeze all up. Even with a locked up back wheel, would it be safe to drive it slowly for that distance? The roads are very snowy, so it won't be a major disaster for the tire. The wheel turned very hesitantly when dragged up on the flat bed (nose first, since the old owner had removed the rear tow eye, which I didn't even know was done).

Thanks for the advice so far, but don't you think the wheel could be the hand brake? I think it happened when I stopped in the intersection, not before that. Or perhaps a bearing?

cheers, kris.

Water in the handbrake cable may stop the cable from moving after you pull it up.

If you can push the arm through the wheel, it'll probably release the brake.

TBH I rarely use a handbrake for fear of the bloody things sticking. In the extremes of Norway I'd just leave it in gear.

If you get it in the garage you may find the slightly warmer temps allow the brake to free off, if it is the cable frozen.

Gavin