Sign in to follow this  
markievw

WAXOYL

hi

Have heard about people waxoling_(not sure about spelling1) there car. They inject wax into all door cavities, chassis members etc.. To help prevent rust!

Anyone done this to their car and how is it done?

cheers

mark

Great stuff for keeping the rust and rot away and preserving the brake pipes. I plaster mine in it before the winter sets in. I use a pump type garden spray after heating up the waxoyl by standing it in a bowl of boiling water.

Yeah - it's a classic.

Been using it for over 30 years and knew of it before that.

Getting too decrepit now for crawling under cars, though.

Uncomfortable and messy to do and I never kept any car long enough to see whether it rotted away or not - somebody else always benefits from my car care. (Will apply to better men than me, too, on this forum.)

The theory of it seems convincing, though, and it has stood the test of time.

Best to inspect your car each year and add more of the goo as required.

Bet you dont keep the car long enough to know if it does any good!

I bought an aerosol can of waxoyl and sprayed inside doors, inside rear seat cavity, under the battery and under the boot carpet/spare wheel.

Only took a few minutes, only down side was that the car stank for days :roll:

Might be worth speaking to your friedly local mechanic they may well apply if for you for a couple of hours labour.

Bought myself the starte kit recently, consisting of a 2.5 liter can full of Waxoyl, a spray gun, pump trigger and extension lead to get into awkward sections of a car. Will try this in the summer, it's too cold now.

Regarding not keeping cars long enough: My 3 Karmanns certainly all are classics: 25, 22, and 15 years respectively, owned 4, 3, 2 years respectively, no intention on selling them, so it's Waxoyl-time :-)

Tempest

Tempest said

My 3 Karmanns certainly all are classics: 25, 22, and 15 years respectively, owned 4, 3, 2 years respectively, no intention on selling them, so it's Waxoyl-time

Clearly, you're a bit more special than the average bear, Tempest!

one of the first things i did was all the arches and underside of the car. get the stuff you can brush on. On a nice warm day its quite fun in a strange way :lol:

Ive done most parts of the car,it looks a bit grotty in the engine bay as the car is yellow,but I know its sealing all the rubbish out :-)