Sign in to follow this  
StormchargedVR6

Schrick & charger

Not based on actual experience but I think the charger outweighs most of the Schrick benefit.

I don't think it will do any harm, but for the £900 or so that you can get for the Schrick, I guess people prefer to recoup some of the charger outlay!

If one comes up cheap enough, I'll consider fitting one again :)

I have seen a few people running both, and from what I hear, it's still worthwhile (it still evens out the torque curve), but the charger bumps up the low rev torque enough to make the Schrick a "maybe" rather than a "must have", from wat I've seen.

If you've got a Schrick already it's worth using with a charger but careful mapping is required in the 3000rpm region where both the charger and schrick are working. Also, offside turret clearance for the charger outlet pipe with the schrick will be fun. The VF kits have a plastic outlet pipe, which can be heated up and 'dented' to create more clearance, but you might end up playing with bits of samco and various pipe to get it to fit properly.

If you've got a charger and no schrick and thinking of getting one, imo the money would be better spent on a short runner intake and charge/inter cooler.

Spoke to Vince today and he did say the mapping would be tricky, but said he would do it about £300, as for the pipe work he said go for the metal type pipe. So if the GB goes ahead, which im hoping it does, spoke to Raj to this morning and he said three of us have giving our card numbers, so hope the rest come forward, who put there names down.

Kev, where do you get these short runner in take manifolds. May be a GB

Yeah the mapping is tricky with the Schrick because of pinking, but Vince knows how to iron it out. If you want the metal intake pipe, you'll need to ask Raj for it. I'd also get the metal intake pipe aswell.

SRIs (Short Runner Intakes) can come from C2 motorsports or Bill schimmel (http://www.spturbo.com). The manifold from Schimmel looks best and comes in at about £750 ish imported. I emailed him for prices but he hasn't come back with any info yet. H8RRA has been in contact with him tho and got his manifold through OK.

May be sell my schrick, and get the schimmel manifold. as im taking the 268 cams out anyway, as there to wild for the charger, was going for 248, but vince says for what you gain just put standard cams back.

There no rush as the charger not going on till the summer.

I meant metal outlet and intake pipes from my previous post, not two metal intakes, LOL! The metal one rubs on the turret though and will need clearancing.

268s are wild but with careful mapping they can work, allegedly.

Standard cams are slightly restrictive at the top end. My power curve drops off at around 6100rpm and the charger doesn't deliver 8psi until 7000! The 248s will allow the engine to spin onto 7000 OK, but you'll seldom find yourself up there, so save some money and use the standards ;-)

more popular in the states. You need to bolt the flapper open so it doesnt get sucked into the engine. It's a bit overkill, but the Schrick is better flowing than the stock manifold.

I have the VGi with a VF charger. Its a difference I felt right away. The car used to pull at 4k...with the VGi...the car picks up at 3k. At least for me...there was no reprogramming of the chip requred. If you can pick one up used for a good price, then its worth it.

Corrado_077.sized.jpg

The flapper cannot be "bolted" open...or else you defeat the purpose of running the VGi.

I asked Ron at Denon about the flapper coming loose, and he said that it only happened once in all the years he's been selling Schrick in the U.S.. The reason it did was the guy didn't tighten the bolts when he put the flapper back on.

Yeah it's great isn't it. Looks like you spend a lot of time under the hood with a cloth RS VR6 :-)

Agreed on the Schrick flap, no point bolting it open, you may aswell use the standard one.

Mine picks up at 3K too, due to the shorter diff, with a schrick it would probably be quite something low down.

I ran a Schrick and charger for a while but found the Scrick did not do enough to justify keeping it. The peak power and torque was vertually identical with the charger on its own and the schrick and charger combo (with the same map) but you did get that nice kick at around 3500 rpm with the schrick. If you get rid of the vgi, you might find that the lightened flywheel compensates for its loss, as the engine revs faster and the charger will be producing a good amount of torque anyway in the mid-range where the vgi did it's best work.

RS VR6 what cams you running

I not running cams...yet. I'll be installing a pair of DSR 256 FI cams in the very near future.

Mine picks up at 3K too, due to the shorter diff, with a schrick it would probably be quite something low down.

What are you talking about, Haywire? Surely your car picks up at what *would be* 3k rpm, if you weren't running a shorter diff .. ??!

The diff itself can't alter the torque curve mate, unless I missed a lesson on physics back at school!

Radostormvr6, your car is going to be quite a machine mate! And still less than 20k miles! :shock:

Radostormvr6, your car is going to be quite a machine mate! And still less than 20k miles! :shock:

Its getting there, got a few more things would like to do. Was going for a diff this year, but can't turn down this GB. :)

What are you talking about, Haywire? Surely your car picks up at what *would be* 3k rpm, if you weren't running a shorter diff .. ??!

The diff itself can't alter the torque curve mate, unless I missed a lesson on physics back at school!

OK, I'll revise my statement just for you. My car picks up *better* at 3000rpm than it did with the standard diff. I didn't say I've got loads more engine torque because of the diff, did I? The quicker the engine is allowed to spin up in any particular gear, then the quicker you get round to the charger's effective power band.

Ah, so you mean that, for a given gear, you get more pickup because the final drive is lower and the engine has more mechanical advantage over the wheels?

Well why didn't you just say that?? ;)