Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Which is the best alarm to Fit?????

Looking to get one installed to my C Vr6 1995. What would you all advise... I want a pretty good one that has total closure and also i fancy that remote engine start!!!!

What do you all reckon????

I'd definately get one with proximity sensors.

"GET BACK YER BASTARDS OR I"LL BREK YER LEGS" as the warning would be good.

r32

nick r storm has a really good one like that i think it was the clifford avantguard or something but which ever one it was the top end cliffords are prob the best you can get imo

only have a toad full closure and its fine! but doesnt have remote engine start

I had a toad a1606 or somthing put on and it's good, think you can get a remote start add on for it too, but the full closure wont do the sun roof for som reason.

100% get the sigma s30, full closure cat1 approved, ive had this alarm fitted to my last 3 cars with no problems ever, i have recommended these alarms to about 10 people, they have had them fitted with no problems also. i can get it fitted for you for £250, as i have had so many fitted with a local company :)

http://affilate.potn.com/product_info.p ... 66159e452d

Autowatch 160 RLi gets my vote..... smallest keyfob of all alarms and utterly reliable. They're South African, so no strangers to car break ins and jacking. As with all alarms, it's all in the install quality. Small details such as waterproof BMW bonnet switches make all the difference.....

Audioscape did mine and the main alarm unit is the smallest I've seen and they bolted it to dash with security screws, instead of shoving it behind the centre console like most fitters (or should that be sh1tters?) do. All wires soldered and heat shrunk and remnants of old cr@ppy clifford completely removed and factory wiring restored before wiring in the Autowatch. It took them 8 hours to correct old shoddily fitted Clifford wiring and install the Autowatch.....it's been perfect ever since. No false alarms at all.....well, apart from the time a crane fly got in the car one evening and set the ultrasonics off as it flew around the car at 3am :-)

I've got the Autowatch as well and it has been good, never gone off when it wasn't supposed to.

As kevHaywire says, at least 80% of "it's a good alarm" is the skill & care of the installer. I have used various Clifford alarms on my cars for years, but my local installer is superb (and are fellow VW nuts!) & I doubt it would make much difference what make they used, it's just that their high-end alarm offering is Clifford. They take most of a day to fit the alarm & you'd never know they'd taken the interior apart to fit it after they're finished.

For the record mine is a Concept 650 G5 and has proximity sensors, anti-carjacking and all sorts! I just like the fact that it's super-reliable & the install company will stand behind it for as long as I own the car.

Where is audioscape? Im interested in getting a simple alarm which is Cat 1 approved, but i also want the old alarm removed. Its currently disconnected and there are wires everywhere under the dash and in the engine bay.

Any idea on a cost?

Heard good stuff about Autowatch.

Had a Clifford concept 650 fitted last year with no bother. Just make sure you trust then installer as thats where things can go a bit Pete Tong.

Intellistart can be added but may affect the Thatchem catagory, check yourselff etc...............

I had a toad a1606 or somthing put on and it's good, think you can get a remote start add on for it too, but the full closure wont do the sun roof for som reason.

That's because your G60 is 92 or older, I expect it doesn't close the sunroof when you lock the car with the key either? My g60's have been the same but the newer valver I had both closed the roof aswell as the windows.

I've had 3 Autowatch 160's fitted to different cars and each time they were excellent ( hence buying 3! )

One thing i'd say is that an alarm can be only as good as the guy that fits it. Try and find a recomended fitter.

I'm pretty certain they don't have a remote start feature.

wouldn't you need an automatic transmission to have the remote engine start feature? Otherwise you could never put it in gear when you park it.

you leave the car in neutral with the handbrake up in the uk,,, as quite a lot of europeans tend to leave the car in-gear

I'm pretty certain they don't have a remote start feature.

No you can't add extra features to that one. I have a feeling that remote start invalidates the CAT1 and therefor your insurance though.