Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

REALLY BAD DAY!

Started mine up today and it was very lumpy due to it being wet and misrable the last two days its been standing. The rpm was up and down a little,and was miss firing like mad ! This was the effect we got when steam cleaning cars at my dads old garage.We used to have to blow out the dizzy and leads to get the moisture out. The car would hardly drive down the road it was embaressing ! After a while it got better and better intill I got to a roundabout and noticed a groan from the rear,pulled into the petrol station,Ive only got a f ing flat tyre aswell!! After putting the spacesaver on for the first time of its life in the p ing rain, I drove home and forgot about the shopping I had to do I just wanted to go home!!

Anyway by the time I got back it was running its normal self again,and I do hope it was just the damp and nothing else! If anyone can think of anything else it could be please let me know!

VRT

Sounds like the good old Coilpack is on it's way out. Best way to find out is spray it with water at night with the engine running and watch for the fireworks!

I think the coilpack is around £130. Pretty reasonable by VW standards!

* EDIT * Bah, beaten to it. Incidentally, the GSF online shop says £120 + VAT.

Yeah try that..... you can tell when the pack has gone as it will stutter and misfire when you put your foot down in the wet.

There's enough current to sustain idle usually, but when needing some chunky spark at higher loads, it leaks out of the dud pack.

If not that, it's usually MAF related, and that *is* expensive from VW, about £300!

can i just point out that doesn't really qualify as a 'really bad day' when the wider picture is considered!

thats a fairly ok day for my C :(

A starter motor isn't a bad day! Mine went and it was replaced instantly!

Slashed tyres are more of a git, but easily sorted.

A real crimp on your day is snapped cambelts and chains, and I know all about snapped belts at 145mph.....

Didn't VrTrickster say that he had a Distributor?.....No coil pack springs to mind...

pah... snapped belts. i eat snapped belts for breakfast :)

you're not a real man until you've punched a hole in your block and carried on driving cos your music was so loud you didn't notice!

I have got a coil pack, and this is the only time this has happened and I did see condensation on the leads by the pack! I took each one off one by one and blew them out and wiped with kitchen cloth and it was better and after driving a while it cleared. I did do a jet wash on the friday with the engine running cleaning the under side of the body,not the engine bay! It drove fine for a 120 mile round trip ,it was two days after sitting out in the rain it decided it didnt want to run properly! I was just hoping it was condensation?

As for the tyre Idid originally think someone had stabbed it ,may be the same f**kers that kicked my wing mirror off? I did drive up a kerb on that friday so maybe that could have caused it to spilt? There is a quarter inch slit just below one of the letters on the side wall when I filled it up,and it just hissed out rather quick! I had only just put a brand new set off four on a couple off weeks ago so I was pretty p***ed off!! I cant get a replacement till MOn now so Ive now got to travel 120 miles again on the spacesaver!

too bad to hear about your car f**king you over. Mine does that on occasion too (like here). And when it does, at least three totally unrelated things happen.

I'm sure your car will be alright. corrados are sound machines, they usually recover from anything, as long as you throw enough money at them.