Sign in to follow this  
17corrado16v

tappet troubles

try some engine cleaner before paying to have them swapped, it can sometimes dislodge muck around the tappets and allow them to adjust properly.

depends which engine! I'm having mine done at stealth soon on my 2.0 valver when kr cam goes in. I think vince said approx £80-90 for 16 new followers.

haha we have a comedian!!!

im mean how much to repair them?

Depends on if you can do it yourself.

Depending on which ones you need they are between £4.50 and £6.50 + VAT each from GSF

try some engine cleaner before paying to have them swapped, it can sometimes dislodge muck around the tappets and allow them to adjust properly.

where can i get this cleaner?

Cleaner... Depends on the age of your car...

I went to a local shop and was told the more extreme ones (like STP) aren't too nice for older engines. So went for a more gentle option. can't for the life of me rember the name of it though. Sorry...

Just pop to a local car shop and see what they have.

17corrado16v, try sending This guy a PM , he'll be able to tell you the best oil to suit your needs, and can also supply it at a good price :lol:

Step 1. Buy Wynns Hydraulic Lifter Treatment and try that. Probably a good idea to do an oil change as well if it hasn't been done for a while. Which leads us to:

Step 2. Try a different oil. Sometimes with an old 16v engine a 15W/40 grade oil is better than a 10W/40.

Step 3. If the tappets are only noisy when the engine is hot then do an oil pressure test, sometimes the tappet noise is caused by not enough oil pressure getting to them rather than a problem with the tappets themselves. And then if that checks out ok:

Step 4. Replace the tappets.

Have a look in the engine section on Club GTI's forum, there is a thread about rebuilding them, and people seem to be getting good results.

Step 3. If the tappets are only noisy when the engine is hot then do an oil pressure test, sometimes the tappet noise is caused by not enough oil pressure getting to them rather than a problem with the tappets themselves. And then if that checks out ok:.

how would you go about doing this?

You need an oil pressure tester gauge, either buy one yourself on ebay (pretty cheap) or get a garage to do it for you.

Basically you unscrew the low pressure sender, screw in the gauge and read the pressure (should be 2 bar @ 2000rpm with the oil @ 80deg)