Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Standard Ride Height?

After much searching/reading etc about lowering the C, someone at some point said that after 13 years, chances are its 20mm lower than it was from day 1 anyway.

What should a standard C be? And how/where from should I measure the height of it from the ground?

The springs sag slightly over time, and the top mounts compress too, so yes it probably is a good few mm lower than originally...

also it depends which side you measure!

the drivers side is almost always lower (the ones i've seen anyway) due to the cars being RHD.

the engine and driver are both on, or biased towards, the right hand side, so that side's suspension tends to sag more over the years.

The springs sag slightly over time, and the top mounts compress too, so yes it probably is a good few mm lower than originally...

the top mounts can also 'stretch'! my passenger side mount has stretched by about 10mm!!

or perhaps i should say its been pushed up?

id say the engine is more over towards the passenger side,plus you have the gearbox,battery,washer bottle,abs pump etc on the passeger side,plus roads tend to slope towards the left so there is more strain on the passenger side

er.....

not in mine.

the engine is definately towards the driver's side mate. and apart from the g/box those ancilleries you list weigh fek all.

i have never seen a vr sagging more on the passenger side.

Like a fine whiskey, my VR6 has been lowered carefully over 13 years, for that authentic driving experience.

mine seems to be a completely different height at each corner!

i can also feel my front left shocker moving on full lock! nice

around 66cm from the ground to the centre of the arch,going through the centre of the wheel,thats when its on standard wheels

er.....

not in mine.

the engine is definately towards the driver's side mate. and apart from the g/box those ancilleries you list weigh fek all.

i have never seen a vr sagging more on the passenger side.

i meant the weight of the engine is mainly towards the passenger side,and those ancilleries do weigh quite a lot actually

how is the weight of the engine, that is sat towards the driver's side, mainly toward the passenger side?

and in relation to the engine, those ancilleries just don't weigh alot at all. sod all.

Incorrect. The VR has a natural tilt on the driver's side due to the weight of the engine block. The Gearbox and such weigh very little in comparison.

If the weight was more concentrated on the passenger side, then the gearbox mount would be a lot beefier than it is now.

Incorrect. The VR has a natural tilt on the driver's side due to the weight of the engine block. The Gearbox and such weigh very little in comparison.

If the weight was more concentrated on the passenger side, then the gearbox mount would be a lot beefier than it is now.

Exactly.

I have always assumed that it is a compromise due to the car being designed as a left-hooker? It would be more balanced as a LHD with the drivers weight cancelling out the engine weight bias.

well do you think vw just dropped an engine and said ok that will do there?they work the weight out so it evenly distributed,when i took the engine and gear box out of my car,guess what happened,the gearbox end dropped even though i thought the weight was even,and i used an egine stabiliser bar..oh and i forgot 25 litres of water doesnt weigh anything :lol: and neither does a battery

yep they do (work out the weight distribution, not just drop it in!)

on a left hand drive car.

the conversion to RHD compromises that balance i would think.

just my opinion though.

you have a 25 litre washer bottle? fek me.

sorry, seriously hijacking your thread mate :(

just for a laugh, i'm going to measure all four corners on mine in a minute - should get a good spread of results!

well do you think vw just dropped an engine and said ok that will do there?they work the weight out so it evenly distributed,when i took the engine and gear box out of my car,guess what happened,the gearbox end dropped even though i thought the weight was even,and i used an egine stabiliser bar..oh and i forgot 25 litres of water doesnt weigh anything :lol: and neither does a battery

The engine weighs 170ish Kilos and the gearbox weighs about 45-50 I'd say. Most able bodied men can remove a gearbox themselves when doing a clutch, so you can lift an engine block aswell can you?

If the engine block is biased to the offside of the engine bay, where do you think the weight is going to be concentrated - durrgh, the offside of course. It's not freakin rocket science is it, no matter how hard you try and defend your argument with silly comparisons to washer bottle and battery weight :roll: