gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Storm Monkey, you didn't get many replies to that eh? ;)

I have the Koni TA/H&R setup on my VR I think it's great but you will notice it to be less comfrotable then you standard soft 10yo suspension. So, i'd go for the sport one as the fronts and rears are adjustable you should be able to get your perfect balance between firmness and ride comfort.

Mark_Storm, AFAIK it is a different damper, but i've not had any experience with either.

I have just put on my Weitec GT's and i am very impressed with them so far. The ride is fairly comfortable as coilovers go and the car feels so much more stable and responsive. Overall very very happy with them so a BIG thanks to Darren at G-Werks for sorting them out for me :D

Oh and they go LOW 8) :lol:

Rob.

Thanks Trig. I'm not that bothered about having rebound adjustment so can't really justify another £150 just for that, but if it is a better unit then maybe its worth it. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

I've got Koni TA/H&R springs as well on 15's. Lowered 30-40mm.

Same here, but since they have now done 60k-odd miles and were fitted over 6 years ago they're pretty much shagged out. I also find them rather crashy at low speeds.

Having looked around I've found that Kev and I have very similar opinions on many aspects of the Corrado including the suspension, so I'm going for the Gaz Gold setup like he is currently running and hoping that gives me the handling I want whilst improving comfort and ride.

has any-one used the jamex height adjustable kit on there corrado , it looks a well built bit of kit , finished in stainless and i was under the impression jamex was a good make :?: i'm in the market for a kit at the mo and seen this kit , think it was volksworld can't be 100% tho looked at so many different ones . :lol:

has any-one used the jamex height adjustable kit on there corrado , it looks a well built bit of kit , finished in stainless and i was under the impression jamex was a good make :?: i'm in the market for a kit at the mo and seen this kit , think it was volksworld can't be 100% tho looked at so many different ones . :lol:

Do a search mate as i believe these have been discussed before not so long ago. IIRC they are ok but a very hard ride.

Ok so ive been reading this and thinking about what to do...

Basially i want to lower my C for two reasons, i suppose without sounds stupid, one is for looks, and two for handling.

I only Use my car at weekends so i thought if i really lower it i will enjoy it more and not get fed up as its not a daily driver.

So if i was to spend around £600 on a set of coilovers, what make would people buy, all i want is a name of the kit, i have read alot of reviews, all i really need is some names.

I would like a nice firm ride with good hadling and to go really low.

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction...

I think i am going to for a set of H&Rs, how low can these go?

But then after reading this..

We are also doing an offer at the moment for £499.99 (including your forum discount) you get a set of Weitec GT's and also a full set of Genuine Top Mounts Front/Rear.'

Im very tempted by that, but what do you think?

I would like [...] good handling and to go really low.

You can have one or the other. Which is more important to you? :)

Low then, what do people think?

H&R

or

Weitec GT's and also a full set of Genuine Top Mounts Front/Rear

??????

please anyone, i want to get these ordered this week, im stuck between the two choices and where to buy them from..

I've seen infor about H&R's...

-----------------

H&R Coilovers Ride Height Adjustavble Kit Front 30 - 70mm...

VW Corrado, Models with Basic susp.

ONLY £726.68 (inc VAT)

Delivery on this item is £12.00

-----------------

H&R Coilovers Ride Height Adjustavble Kit Front 30 - 70mm...

VW Corrado, Models with Plus susp.

ONLY £726.68 (inc VAT)

Delivery on this item is £12.00

-----------------

Whats the difference with the 'Plus supspension'???

or

Weitec GT's

?

No idea. Sounds a bit strange to me.

The H&R Coilovers are, from memory, only adjustable for ride height. You have no control over damping firmness, bound, rebound, or whatever. They'll also be a lot firmer and less compliant than, say, separate H&R springs and Koni TA dampers (which is what I've got on at the moment and have done for the past 6 years, but currently replacing with a Gaz Gold custom setup).

I did a fair bit of research and have just ordered a set of FK Silverline X coilovers. Koni dampers designed for FK, height and rebound adjustable with all stainless components. Got them for £620 inc delivery from Venommotorsport. Seemed like a pretty good deal, will let you know what they're like when I get round to fitting them.

I did a fair bit of research and have just ordered a set of FK Silverline X coilovers. Koni dampers designed for FK, height and rebound adjustable with all stainless components. Got them for £620 inc delivery from Venommotorsport. Seemed like a pretty good deal, will let you know what they're like when I get round to fitting them.

That's what I've got, and I like them :D

Mine were slighly cheaper - £565 including VAT+delivery :lol:

I think the first H&Rs listed are for non-VR6 and the Plus ones are for the VR6, though I might be making that up. Fwiw I have H&R coilovers fitted and they feel spot on to me with about 40mm lower than standard, or more given that standard on later VR6s looks like comedy stilts. The ride feels pretty good to me, much more controlled than the Koni/Eibach combo that was on the car when I got it - that was probably a bit tired mind - and not crashy over bumps etc.

I don't have a lot of Corrado experience to compare with, but it's a lot more supple than my Mk 2 GTi which has Koni / Eibachs and poly bushes all round.

I kind of went with the theory that if the damping's right to start with then it doesn't need adjusting and to me it all feels good - not too firm, not too soft. The Konis on my Golf are top adjustable, but I've probably adjusted them maybe three or four times in as many years.

But anyway, the H&R coilovers don't feel harsh to me. Maybe if you slammed the car theyd be harder, but at a modest sort of drop they're just supple and controlled. You can feel the road, but it's not annoying. Mind you, my GTi's a bit crashy, so that may be a relative thing :roll:

Less preload then? Fwiw, I'm very happy with my H&Rs and would buy them again. I've not found the lack of damping adjustment an issue because the damping seems to be spot on as standard.

well i brought some, i went for the Weitec GT's and also a full set of Genuine Top Mounts Front/Rear in the end, with forum discount, around £500 in the end, so im very happy, rang up and spoke to a guy from g-werks whowas very helpful and asked what i wanted, weather track days or normal road use and then described what he had and i chose. brought them there and then.

Very happy and cant wait to get them fitted!

DO you lot recon it might be worth getting new wishbones aswell as i think my bushes are knackered?

That's what I've got, and I like them

Mine were slighly cheaper - £565 including VAT+delivery

That's inflation for you :(

How easy are they to adjust? Did you fit them yourself?

Well I bought them in a group buy about 2 years back, so that may have helped get the price down :wink:

Got them fitted by my garage when it was in for a new clutch/chains etc.

They are dead easy to adjust, just take the wheels off and use the c-spanners provided to change the height

Dampening is adjusted by turning the screw at the top of the suspension, although I left mine at the softest setting :D

well i brought some, i went for the Weitec GT's and also a full set of Genuine Top Mounts Front/Rear in the end, with forum discount, around £500 in the end, so im very happy, rang up and spoke to a guy from g-werks whowas very helpful and asked what i wanted, weather track days or normal road use and then described what he had and i chose. brought them there and then.

Very happy and cant wait to get them fitted!

DO you lot recon it might be worth getting new wishbones aswell as i think my bushes are knackered?

-Neil-, Also spoke to rob from g-werks about this kit and new top mounts all round, have you had a chance to fit them yet? would be really interested to know how they are?

Also had in mind FK highsport silverlines can anyone shed anylight on which kit might be better considering i'm in scotland and the salt on the roads etc?

If you go for the Silverline's then they have stainless steel pistons, which should be more corrosion resistant. Otherwise I think they should be pretty similar. Think the Silverline's are slightly cheaper, check out Venom.

If you go for the Silverline's then they have stainless steel pistons, which should be more corrosion resistant. Otherwise I think they should be pretty similar. Think the Silverline's are slightly cheaper, check out Venom.

Think with the g-werks deal both kits will work out the same price including top mounts front and back.

Was leaning towards the fk's for the s/s have you had a chance to fit your silverline x's?

Less preload then? Fwiw, I'm very happy with my H&Rs and would buy them again. I've not found the lack of damping adjustment an issue because the damping seems to be spot on as standard.

Not entirely sure what you mean by that, what has less preload?

The H&Rs are very good coilovers, but the front monotubes aren't very good at absorbing close packed bumps I found, which is unusual as that's normally a gas monotube strong point. I also found the 400lb front springs a little unforgiving with 17" wheels, so went down the custom route as the wheels had to stay (because of the brakes).

Of all the factory optimised kits out there, these are the best, but try a 2 way adjustable oil twin-tube damper and you'll never look back.