gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

also previous post, the difference with innox and v1 standard is just the protective finish, innox wont, or shouldn't rust, I have used innox before greased them up before fitting and re greased once a year, and not a blemish on them, daily driven.

worth the little bit extra if your paying out that much

If everything's tight and the geometry is good, and there's still some wayward behaviour, I usually put that down to tyres. VWs like R32s and Corrados that run 0 front toe can be quite picky with tyres and there's no suspension thrust angle to force the car to run true, if that makes sense. I know F1s used to be shyte on my Corrado but they were a highly regarded tyre.

Got the koni/HR on. Still not happy with it.

Took it to another garage that i've not used before (but the guy has built and raced some nice cars over the years)He took it out for a drive and thinks its the rear suspension that is too firm still. Which is what the last garage said about the KW's.

I set the rear circlip as high as it would go and am running them on the softest setting.

Decided to buy some original rear shocks, (sachs advantage) will sling them on next week and see what its like.

Car is looking a bit naff now due to bigger arch gaps but think i've gone past caring now.

Sachs advantage shocks have arrived. Only got a couple of rears. Will see what difference it makes.

Noticed these shocks expand on their own. Whereas others don't. Koni kw etc. Is that the difference between gas and oil?

All the front units I've had return after you compress them.

20140224_161630.jpg

That's partly why I moved on from Corrados. I was never 100% happy with the ride / handling compromises.

They are all filled with oil, but the SACHS are gas pressurised and the KW / Konis aren't. The gas just helps stabilise the damping when the oil gets thin and hot, or something like that. Bilstein B6, B8, B12 etc all gas pressurised too. Easy way to tell when they are knackered is when the damper rod doesn't return when pushed down.

Had it setup today. Couldn't go to stealth racing in the end so found a small garage locally that seemed knowledgeable and more enthusiastic than others.

Quite happy at the moment. It's still a bit bumpy but drives nice and straight and don't feel like I'm constantly correcting it. Been out in a few cars and vans and land rovers this week and decided the corrado is still better to drive than those. Was quite surprised at how much the land rover felt the bumps and steering wasn't great. Definitely the state of the roads. Corrado felt quite decent when I got back in it.

Not sure if I should buy a land rover or not. Been looking hard for a decent 300tdi discovery.

Have got two new koni rear shocks sat around now. Can't say the difference between them and the sachs was very noticeable. Garage still thought it was too firm on the rear.

Just a little comment from me. I've only ever been in my two Corrados until today. The first (early valver) had unknown brand 25mm lowering springs with standard shocks. Ride was reasonable, without being anything great. A little bouncy at slow speed, but I was happy enough with them for it not to be a priority. I now have FK Konigsports on the VR which were on it when I bought it. They're pretty much top of the FK range, and are supposed to be damping adjustable - but they need to be removed to adjust. :rolleyes:

They must have been set pretty firm, because the ride is not very comfortable at at. Its made worse with me running 17" wheels, but even when on the standards, handling didn't feel too good. Having kindly been given a ride in somersetdubs VR today, which is on standard speedlines with the Bistein B12 kit, all I can say is WOW, what a difference! The car seems extremely well set up, and is an absolute credit to him. We went through some of the little twisty B roads Somerset has to offer, and a quick blast on the dual carriageway. The car sat beautifully, and handled the undulations, potholes, and corners with aplomb. As with my previous Corrado, suspension was not particularly high on my priority list. After today however, its moved a fair old way up the ladder, and I'm now convinced this is the setup I'll go for! :cool:

Just a little comment from me. I've only ever been in my two Corrados until today. The first (early valver) had unknown brand 25mm lowering springs with standard shocks. Ride was reasonable, without being anything great. A little bouncy at slow speed, but I was happy enough with them for it not to be a priority. I now have FK Konigsports on the VR which were on it when I bought it. They're pretty much top of the FK range, and are supposed to be damping adjustable - but they need to be removed to adjust. :rolleyes:

They must have been set pretty firm, because the ride is not very comfortable at at. Its made worse with me running 17" wheels, but even when on the standards, handling didn't feel too good. Having kindly been given a ride in somersetdubs VR today, which is on standard speedlines with the Bistein B12 kit, all I can say is WOW, what a difference! The car seems extremely well set up, and is an absolute credit to him. We went through some of the little twisty B roads Somerset has to offer, and a quick blast on the dual carriageway. The car sat beautifully, and handled the undulations, potholes, and corners with aplomb. As with my previous Corrado, suspension was not particularly high on my priority list. After today however, its moved a fair old way up the ladder, and I'm now convinced this is the setup I'll go for! :cool:

Sean how do you think it would be with a C with this suspension and a set of 17's with possibly adapter's

I think it would be generally ok tbh mate. The damping is progressive so firms up the closer to the limit you push it. It's on the limit that I think there would be the compromise. Firmer damping and less tyre sidewall flex would equal more oversteer imo, so wouldn't handle as well when cornering quickly.

Not sure if I should buy a land rover or not. Been looking hard for a decent 300tdi discovery.

I you really need to go off road and/or tow big trailers then they are a good tool, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Forget about having fun behind the wheel as well.

Mine is amusing as it's far faster than anyone expects and it sounds fantastic. I couldn't cope with a diesel one but I can't live with 18mpg for much longer.

My wifes Defender has it all with its GMC 6.2 diesel V8 but it eats gearboxes.. and it's still a Land Rover.

Anyway, On my Corrado I run Weitecs' basic spring and damper kit (Ultra GT?) with poly bushes up front and standard rear beam bushes. It's a bit firm but doesn't skip around even on the rubbish Cornish roads.

Had it setup today. Couldn't go to stealth racing in the end so found a small garage locally that seemed knowledgeable and more enthusiastic than others.

Quite happy at the moment. It's still a bit bumpy but drives nice and straight and don't feel like I'm constantly correcting it. Been out in a few cars and vans and land rovers this week and decided the corrado is still better to drive than those. Was quite surprised at how much the land rover felt the bumps and steering wasn't great. Definitely the state of the roads. Corrado felt quite decent when I got back in it.

Have got two new koni rear shocks sat around now. Can't say the difference between them and the sachs was very noticeable. Garage still thought it was too firm on the rear.

Have you got any pictures of the car on the konis/h&r setup please? I've got some konis and wondering whether to go for the h&r springs or something else, or put my fk konigsports back on.

Cheers

Had my wheels off today and the rear shocks fitted are painted red.

These will not be standard fitting i gather?

i have only had the car 12 months so this is new to me. looking to but new standard shocks and putting lowering springs on just to bring it down by about 30 to 40 mm.

Or just stick with the 4x4 look :shrug:

Have you got any pictures of the car on the konis/h&r setup please? I've got some konis and wondering whether to go for the h&r springs or something else, or put my fk konigsports back on.

Cheers

Hi, took these yesterday, although the rear end is on sachs advantage shocks, still H&R springs all round (i think the rear sat slightly higher with the koni shocks but i had the circlip as high as possible.

20140415_172112.jpg

20140415_172055.jpg

20140415_172137.jpg

Having kindly been given a ride in somersetdubs VR today, which is on standard speedlines with the Bistein B12 kit, all I can say is WOW, what a difference! The car seems extremely well set up, and is an absolute credit to him. We went through some of the little twisty B roads Somerset has to offer, and a quick blast on the dual carriageway. The car sat beautifully, and handled the undulations, potholes, and corners with aplomb.

Aha, I always suspected as much about that kit! I'm so glad to read that. It was on my to-do list before I sold my Corrado. Bilstein B6 upwards, they're all very good dampers indeed.

Hi, is anybody running ap coilovers if so what are they like ride wise, at the moment I have some crappy pro sport ones that came with the rado an I'm desperate to change them for something better, as I don't think my step dad wants to hit his head on the roof as we hit bumps:lol:

I have read good things about APs, though have not owned or experienced them myself. The reality is that suspension is much like anything else in that you get what you pay for.

Can anyone please give me advice as to what would be the most similar to OE & value for money non-adjustable spring/shock combination for a VR6?

I'm after info on something that replicates the standard set-up for daily driving.

Anyone?

Is there a Bilstein/Eibach combo similar to the stock setup but maybe lowered a touch? I'm after ideas for something neither wallowy nor crashy for daily driving.

Bilstein B4 dampers are designed as an OE application and indeed are not suitable for lowering springs. So if you could get a set of those and find suitable springs (may even be able to order them from VW) you'd be well away?

Ok thanks. I've got B4's on my current daily & they seem perfectly reasonable. Just need to think about which springs.

Haven't bought the car yet, but pretty much betting any purchase will have rock hard suspension.

So I just failed an MOT on a leaking (standard) shock. Which is a good excuse to get some new ones. Assuming I want something that isn't going to rust in 5 minutes, so stainless, I don't really care about "stance", but I do care about handling... what are my options?

I could of course read all 100 pages, but I'd rather not :).