gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Here's some info for KW V3 owners. I believe there are at least 3 or 4 of us on here with them.

I've had mine for 4 years and always been impressed by the build quality and ride comfort, but handling wise I always felt there was some untapped potential in there. I just never had the time to adjust the ride and damping to nth degree.

So anyway, a friend of mine on here approached KW for some advice and this is what they came back with as a recommendation for a Corrado VR6. This was based on them actually testing their kit on actual, real life, Corrado :D

Ride height

Front - 315mm (Centre of hub to wheel arch)

Rear - 310mm (ditto)

Dampers

Front compression - 0.75 turns open

Front rebound - 0.5 turns open

Rear rompression - 0.75 turns open

Rear rebound - 1.5 turns open

And this is how it looks. Just under my preferred 2 finger gap. Despite my blatherings about wishbone angle suspension travel, it's very clear the V3s were just designed to be low from the outset because these settings have totally transformed the handling and it wasn't shabby to begin with! :D

I want get some stiffer springs for my GAZ GHA rears, anyone know the spring length and ID before I go and get the spanners out so that I can measure them?

Here's some info for KW V3 owners. I believe there are at least 3 or 4 of us on here with them.

I've had mine for 4 years and always been impressed by the build quality and ride comfort, but handling wise I always felt there was some untapped potential in there. I just never had the time to adjust the ride and damping to nth degree.

So anyway, a friend of mine on here approached KW for some advice and this is what they came back with as a recommendation for a Corrado VR6. This was based on them actually testing their kit on actual, real life, Corrado :D

Ride height

Front - 315mm (Centre of hub to wheel arch)

Rear - 310mm (ditto)

Dampers

Front compression - 0.75 turns open

Front rebound - 0.5 turns open

Rear rompression - 0.75 turns open

Rear rebound - 1.5 turns open

And this is how it looks. Just under my preferred 2 finger gap. Despite my blatherings about wishbone angle suspension travel, it's very clear the V3s were just designed to be low from the outset because these settings have totally transformed the handling and it wasn't shabby to begin with! :D

I just applied this measurement to my weitec hicon GT's because it seemed like a nice compromise, but I have a few questions,

To reach this measurement required more upwards adjustment on the o/s, just wondered why? (new front top mounts, lower arm bushes)

The higher you go the harder the ride gets?

Also my powerflex lower arm rear bushes came with washers and small collars, I was unable to fit the collars on the n/s because the bolt thread was either offset to the subframe or the subframe is bent/located wrong. Has anybody else had this problem?

If it's a VR6 you've got, then that's quite normal as the weight of the engine block tends to pull the car down a little on that side.

Mine is the same. The offside needs more height to get the car level. That is one advantage of coilovers over fixed struts!

If it's a VR6 you've got, then that's quite normal as the weight of the engine block tends to pull the car down a little on that side.

Mine is the same. The offside needs more height to get the car level. That is one advantage of coilovers over fixed struts!

Yeah it's a vr, that's good to know cheers :)

Any one tested avo gtx or gtz they are advertised on demontweeks, was wondering how they compared to other coilovers in the $500 $1000 price range.

Just a quickie!!

If I set my coilovers to -30mm at the front (thats low enough for me),what adjustment is recommended to get the VR riding level?? -40mm?? -50mm?? or just the same -30?? Certainly dont want it to look like its lower at the back.

It'll be running 7.5x16 rims with 195/45/16 tyres if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Ta much

Just a quickie!!

If I set my coilovers to -30mm at the front (thats low enough for me),what adjustment is recommended to get the VR riding level?? -40mm?? -50mm?? or just the same -30?? Certainly dont want it to look like its lower at the back.

It'll be running 7.5x16 rims with 195/45/16 tyres if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Ta much

Not to sound harsh but couldnt you just measure the arch gap then set it from there ? If you need to make small adjustments you can just jak it up again and tweak it till its sat exactly how you want it

As above really. Though make sure the ground youre doing it on is level. From what i believe its good to have it slightly lower at the back - maybe 10mm or so (undetectable to the eye) as it improves handling.

Not to sound harsh but couldnt you just measure the arch gap then set it from there ? If you need to make small adjustments you can just jak it up again and tweak it till its sat exactly how you want it

Its currently sitting on a a space saver on the front n/s and has a broken spring on the o/s so measuring aint much use just yet. I was a just after a rough idea b4 putting it all back together, then after i get the wheels on I can do some fine tweaking.

Cheers

Purchases of coil overs is looming really its going to have to be kw, i have been told i can change the spring strength when i purchases them does any one have any preferences, would like to know about any ones experiences with different springs. i noticed Mr Fishwick has jumped from 400lb-275lb to softer 325lb-228lb springs (a while ago i might add).

So really style of driving/road conditions (track/main roads) vs spring strength, as really just want to come up with my own starting point and go from there.

That would probably be somewhat comfortable and soft. Anyway, if you speak to KW, they can valve your suspension different, if you like.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Look into the different variations then. They are a lot more expensive on V2 and V3, but you can adjust it a lot more, and through a bigger range. In, out, etc.

But it's a lot more to shell out when buying. I do regret I didn't. So A V3 is on my personal wishlist for later.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Thanks redfox. I like the idea of being able to adjust coilovers and not just the height although not so much the price of them so maybe I will reconsider what brand I go for. Saying that there's no substitute for quality, different beast but I know my bikes and suspension fork quality makes all the difference have rebound and dampening adjust on my current set up and adjust it accordingly dependent on conditions so I'm sure I will make the most of it. Plus have used 5inch travel forks and 2inch and the lesser travel has been the better ride due the build quality and correct set up.

okay so im thinking of a little drop but not with coileys all i ever hear is that they are to stiff and to get anything good you have to fork out a bomb.

so im planning to get new dampers and springs, first of all has anyone got anything to say on the best manufactures for a vr??

the main thing im trying to work out is what drops best? atm my front ends a little dipped as the top mounts have gone so sus is coming up through the strut :/

im running a 90mm splitter and was just wondering how low people have gone and still been practical. i.e can slowly go over a speed bump??

I have only had coilovers after the standard suspension, so no talk about that. I am sure there are lots of good people in here who can tell what to do.

Captainredeye, Yes, I know exactly what you talk about, since I do the same on my motorcycle. It makes a world of difference.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Purchases of coil overs is looming really its going to have to be kw, i have been told i can change the spring strength when i purchases them does any one have any preferences, would like to know about any ones experiences with different springs. i noticed Mr Fishwick has jumped from 400lb-275lb to softer 325lb-228lb springs (a while ago i might add).

So really style of driving/road conditions (track/main roads) vs spring strength, as really just want to come up with my own starting point and go from there.

I flit between the two rates as I can never make up my mind which I prefer :D Variable rate springs would be nice. In fact, why has no one invented them yet??!?!

The softer option is really nice for a road car but you can carry more cornering speed with the stiffer ones.

Thanks Kev I may just get a second set of springs have soft for the winter and harder for the summer when I'm more in the mood for a good drive plus hoping to get some blasts of castle combe in soon.

My mind is almost made up v1's I like the price but from what I understand are a little harsh could do with a slight tweek could get away with softer springs.

Now really I'm thinking v2 or v3 adjustment is what i want, but i haven't noticed any one with variant 2 is it worth just jumping straight to 3 and having rebound also! or has kw done a good enough job on rebound on variant 2's to maybe not justify streching to 3's.

Hopefully this will be my last post on this matter and I can whip out the bank card. :)

From spending ages looking and reading all posts to try and sort what is the best shock and spring set up for vr it seems to be OE or similar shocks and hr springs. I am off to price up Sachs shocks this morning then price up HR 30-40 mm springs later. Will post best prices after.

My mind is almost made up v1's I like the price but from what I understand are a little harsh could do with a slight tweek could get away with softer springs.

Now really I'm thinking v2 or v3 adjustment is what i want, but i haven't noticed any one with variant 2 is it worth just jumping straight to 3 and having rebound also! or has kw done a good enough job on rebound on variant 2's to maybe not justify streching to 3's.

Hopefully this will be my last post on this matter and I can whip out the bank card. :)

If you can stretch to the 3s, they are excellent. They are totally different units to the 1 and 2, hence the big jump in cost. They are also rebuildable and guaranteed for life (IIRC).

I tried a 24V Corrado with V1s and the ride was terrible.

If anyone is interested I will have a pair of front Koni struts with H&R springs powder coated satin black to sell soon.

I'll express an interest depending on price of course, I'm not too far away from you to collect either