gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Does this make sense? Do I need two rear ARB bushes? I can't even recall seeing a rear ARB on the VR?

It runs inside the main section of the axle, is just a straight bar. I never renewed mine.

I'd get lemforder stuff, i swear what you get from VW isn't the same quality as the parts that came on car from factory, they just get a third party to make them and stick a VW logo on it

B12 dodgy batch

Right folks so I bought a set of the Bilstein b12's from Mk3 Highline in the group buy in March last year but still haven't got round to fitting them yet, (The Rado did about 50 miles last year).

It now needs an MOT so thinking about getting the suspension fitted at the same time; however i know thatSean Jaymo and others encountered problems with a dodgy batch and the rears being too low when fitted. (Sean Jaymo got his at the same time as me on the group buy)

Is there anyway I can tell if mine are the affected ones or not before I go to the expenses of paying somebody labour to fit them?

Edd

Out of interest what did the dodgy ones look like fitted? Just interested to see how low they were front compared to back.... we're they unuseable

SeanJaymos dropped to 295mm from centre Hub to bottom of arch when it settled. If you have a look on his members gallery the new buyer posted a pic of them side by side. They have different markings on them but not sure if that's definitive, as I have the same markings on mine as his originals, and I haven't suffered that problem. Mine sit 330mm at the back.

Ok so looking at the photo the new owner of Sean Jaymo's vr6 put up comparing the standard vr6 springs, the correct b12's provided by Eibach in replacement of Sean Jaymo's defective ones, and the defective b12 that sean Jaymo received; and then then comparing them to the rear springs i received in the same group buy as Sean Jaymo mine seem to look the same as the ones that were deemed defective

suggestions, do I go to Bilstein/Eibach first or put them on and see, what does everyone reckon? I think Bilstein wont even listen to me if i can't prove there is anything wrong and even then any form of buyers warranty i may have has will be long gone, over 12 months ago, group buy etc etc

Can I just purchase the correct rear springs on their own now and sort it right first time, i think i'd rather just do this than faff about and get pi*&ed off with it all

Edited by edd
spelling

SeanJaymos dropped to 295mm from centre Hub to bottom of arch when it settled. If you have a look on his members gallery the new buyer posted a pic of them side by side. They have different markings on them but not sure if that's definitive, as I have the same markings on mine as his originals, and I haven't suffered that problem. Mine sit 330mm at the back.

Wow so the wrong ones sit 35my lower .... do twice what they should?

Mine sits now at 310mm rear and 330mm front. The springs are Bilstein black and got them along the absorbers as a set out of scrapped Corrado. Front shocks are genuine VW Corrado and rear are BOGE green marked VW (this is the first time i see vw items painted green). Somehow I get the impression that when putting lowered springs the rear sits marginally lower than the front.

Mine basically the B12 kit although bought separately. Bought the Eibach pro springs and Bilstein B8s - not sure what my front sit at - looks pretty even to the back

I know seanJaymo also cut his Bumpstops down by about 25mm too, so that could be why it went so low if it was sitting on them. I didn't bother as I wanted to retain some sort of comfort over looks. Not sure if they sit on them when static though?....

Just checked front and that's about 10-15mm higher than back..... looks fine mind

I know seanJaymo also cut his Bumpstops down by about 25mm too, so that could be why it went so low if it was sitting on them. I didn't bother as I wanted to retain some sort of comfort over looks. Not sure if they sit on them when static though?....

IIRC you should never be on the bump stops as that means your suspension is not taking care of the travel

I know this is the case for VW camper vans. it is very common for them to be lowered so much they sit on the bump stops. this in turn causes a horrible crashey ride & effects the steering too

air ride is the way forward if you want silly low lol

I hate silly low.... think I'm too old lol

it looks good when static or at a show - my mechanics son has a lupo & my word it bites my cherry every time I see it

its a 1 litre, runs on fumes, goes for miles, got full heated leather (cant recall what out of), a few bits plasti dipped, gorgeous alloys & air ride. it is one mean looking lupo once dropped when at rest

seriously makes me consider selling the valver & going to a lupo! lol

Just checked front and that's about 10-15mm higher than back..... looks fine mind

Yes, that seems to be the case when lowering but its allright and can't be noticed otherwise but by measuring.

Question..

I intend to upgrade my coilovers. I have read a lot of positive comments on here recently about alternative spring/damper combinations but in the interests of vanity i still want to be able to tweak the height so coilovers are the only way..

Question is what have people got that is very good quality? Im talking KW V3 or similar. The car is road used but want some more comfort than the V1s offer.

I went for Bilstein B16's. Car still in 100000 bits so not driven yet to comment but I was in the exact situation. Want to adjust height but also want comfort. Don't think you can go much wrong with V3's or B16's. Have fitted both to many cars from MK2 Golfs to RS4's to New Fiesta ST's, all ride extremely well. I can get good price on both if interested?

I went for Bilstein B16's. Car still in 100000 bits so not driven yet to comment but I was in the exact situation. Want to adjust height but also want comfort. Don't think you can go much wrong with V3's or B16's. Have fitted both to many cars from MK2 Golfs to RS4's to New Fiesta ST's, all ride extremely well. I can get good price on both if interested?

Thanks for the feedback, ill do some more homework and get back to you if thats ok...

Thought I would add some input here, last week I fitted a full Bilstein B12 kit to my 91 G60, using Meyle HD VR6 front top mounts with the correct spring plates etc and Meyle rear mount rubbers, at the moment mine sits at 335mm at the front and 330mm for the rear (measured from the wheel centre to the lip of the wheel arch) it may or may not settle down a little more, but it looks ok with 17” rims

Incidentally the corrado rear bump stops that I got off the auction site where huge white things, after fitting measuring and re-fiting for a total of 3 times I ended up cutting 60mm off them to avoid sitting on the bump stops on a flat surface, the ride now is very good , it also does not ride on the bump stops and deals well with the schitt roads around here.

I was wondering what if I swap the rear shocks only with a Bilstein set I have? Front shocks are stock. I have Bilstein lowering springs all around but since the rear sits a bit lower at the back than in the front and the rear shocks are some green Boge, labeled VW,which I presume are OEM specs and probably tired (got them of a scrappie), I thought I would put the Bilsteins at the back and solve?? the height issue along with a better handling since the Boge seem a bit soft. Will the B6 Bilsteins at the back lift somewhat the rear or the height is something that only the springs manage? Most importantly, will there be any handling issues? I also have the front B6, they came with the car along the rear ones, but are a bit rough on the ride and this was the reason I took them off. Also having them out now and trying to compress/decompress the struts they make this funny noise like fluids/air are moving within the tubes, but really noticable, never heard anything like it before. Do these sounds show they are gone? The rebound also is not so evident, is kind of slow. The rear ones though seem to not have any issues.

What suspension are people running with a 1.8T? I use mine daily but find the current setup a little too firm. With the car being a bit lighter at the front has anyone gone for MK2 golf units? not looking for a massive drop usual 30-40mm is ok, more about getting a good compromise between handling and comfort. Not too fussed about height adjustable, I have been looking at the Koni STRT shocks if anyone has feedback on those, or any coilovers people can suggest, I'm open to suggestions but on a fairly slim budget. any advice/experience gladly received

cheers