gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Right have checked the shocks - NO height adj base plate - they are just welded with no circlip or grooves - just bog standard TA's :(climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfShock1.JPG[/attachment:7uet0rl7]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfShock2.JPG[/attachment:7uet0rl7]

I can now either buy 2 new Koni TA's with adj base plates (how much?)

OR

Buy lower springs - Pi or likewise - and hope i get right effect!

OR

Bite the bullet and buy coilies - a midprice set with height adj would be fine!

What you all think?

Is there a guide somewhere to changing your suspension? I've got a bad tower that I'm hoping to try and replace this weekend.

I fitted some KW Varient 1's to the rear of my VR as part of a rebuild on the rear beam. They are really, really nice and ride superb too.

I was going to fit adjustable AVO coilovers, as I had these on the front, but I got let down on the delivery once too often (should have been 2 - 3 weeks, after over 6 weeks told Demon Tweaks to keep them).

I went to G-werks - they were A1 - and they got me the V1's as I was now seriously behing on my deadline and couldn't quite stretch to the V2's.

I've been so impressed with them I splashed out on the front and bought some V2's last week (again from G-werks) which arrived in less than a week.

They aren't cheap but the build quality, finish and the stainless bodies/plastic caps mean that they should stay looking (and working) good for a lot longer than the AVO's.

The difference they have made to the ride and handling ....... well worth extra the money.

Good Idea,

I've got Koni TA/H&R springs as well on 15's. Lowered 30-40mm.

I think they are a great setup, really responsive when needed, have a much better overall feel of the road. Can be a little crashy over bad bumps. I go over speed humps daily and have no problem with them at all, car always feels nice and solid when I go over the humps. I've found since getting this kit fitted that I can go twice as fast round roundabouts!

I hope you can help a newbie with a few questions.

Am I right in thinking that you buy the springs and dampers seperately orr can you get these together as a kit from anywhere you know of?

What is the cost icluding other bits such as bump stops and top mounts?

Gwent VW can fit for about £100. Is that a good deal?

Thanks.

hHey DazzerVR6,

I'm in a similar boat to you, my shocks need replacing and i'm thinking of just getting a kit (Koni SSX) and getting it fitted. The bad news I've moved 100 miles from my regular garage and really need to find a good local independant who can fit and do the tracking , cambers etc.

Anyone here know of a good independant VW Garage in Birmingham?

Hi,

Does anyone know any good places in Birmingham where I can purchase and get fitted a KONI SSX Suspension kit?

Cheers

for any info

I've got a quick question, looking at buying a VR just now. I recently purchased a set of weitec GT's for my 91 valver and was wondering if they would fit the VR. the only difference I can see is the part number for the springs but I'm unsure if this is to do with spring rate or a different spring for the VR's top mounts. I'm assuming its spring rate due to the heavier VR block as I'm sure I've read on here that the VR weitecs need the old style top mounts but I could be wrong.

Just want to know if they'll fit straight on, as I'll have both stlye of top mounts as the 16v will be broken for parts. Or if I'll need to order the spring by themselves from weitec and reuse the dampers. Also which mounts will I need to use.

Any weitec owners shed some light on this for me please.

i have some weitec VR springs sat in my garage, couldn't tell you about the spring rates, but i know they only fit the early style spring plate, which i'm told can be used with a late top mount.

Would you be interested in parting with them springs if I buy this VR I'm interested in? Take it there the 40mm drop ones as I couldn't see any others on the site.

Thanks for the info as well on the top mounts. That'll come in very handy! :thumb right:

yes! i do need to sell them on, i just been lazy at making a for sale thread.

they were on car for about 500miles, and they are the -40mm springs

not sure what to charge, they £110 delivered from europerformance, obviously i'd like as much back as i can

i also have a set of the early springs plates, and a set of early top mounts

all this stuff is nearly new

Weitec colies for my VR6 just arrived at my door today.

Gotta love the G-werks!

Now i've gotta fit the bloody things.. it's cold outside!

Will update as soon as :)

I took my VR6 to the local garage the other day (to get the loose brake shield taken off -- see separate thread) and the mechanic told me that he reckons the rear suspension is knackered. Something along the lines of 'it's only sitting on the springs, and I can see oil leaking out of the shocks'.

My question is, how can you tell if the shocks are knackered? The ride is pretty firm, and the suspension is generally quite noisy but I guess that's normal. Sometimes get a knocking sound from the back when going over bumps. The back bounces up and down OK with only minor squeaking.

I believe the suspension is a Koni height-adjustable kit...

Cheers

T

Push down on the back end of your car on either side... if it bounces up and down quickly and continues to do so... you've probably got little oil left in your shocks and therefore you have no dampening! A normal suspension setup should return more slowly due to the viscosity of the oil in the damper/shock and then re-settle.

It's fairly common not to notice this if it becomes more and more progressive over time, but you should get it sorted.. not going to be doing you any favours and can seriously mess about with the car's handling and safety!

Got my H&R RSS Clubsports fitted yesterday......... HOLY SH*T!!! :)

Seriously hardcore!! They are pretty mad - biggest piston I've ever seen on any suspension set up ever! They must be over an inch in diameter!

They are obviously EXTREMELY hard as the spring rates are way up there, but amazingly the ride is pretty good in general except over sharp potholes etc.

But I have to say it's the first time I have ever felt suspension actually pressing the tyres into road. It's quite wierd to be honest! And it goes round corners like an absolute Mo Fo!! :)

If you want comfort, steer clear though ;)

just bought some of these, glad to hear a quick review on em. cant wait to get em on & go play on snake pass!! :lol:

Yes it's a shame Dukest, that I've had to get rid of the Gaz, and I too firmly believe in you get what you pay for but I think Gaz need to realise that although Dave Lyons (their key technician) is ex-Leda, it is not a Leda product. They have some issues to address.

I would have kept the Gaz if it were not for the issues Jon and I have had with them, but otherwise the dampers are among the best i've tried.

Just to resurrect a previous comment of Kev's which passed me by the first time, my Gaz setup fits pretty much perfectly now, and it was the fitting of the front dampers that was the main issue that I had.

Tim at The Phirm turned down the custom spacers that Stealth had made up for me so that they actually sleeve the damper rod and it all now fits together very well.

My problem with my Gaz setup is that I don't feel the springs and dampers are correctly matched and I also don't feel that the damping is right for me - I can't find a road setup that works for me.

The reason I'm considering the KW Variant 3 is because it is a kit with matched springs and dampers and also the bound and rebound settings are independent which (I understand) they are not on the Gaz.

Does anyone know if there is any resale value in my Gaz setup?

That's correct, the Gaz have one adjustment for both bump and rebound.

All 4 KW dampers have seperate adjusters for low speed bump and rebound. High speed bump is factory preset, which feels about right to me.

Getting it how you want it is very time consuming, but do the ride first, *then* the damper adjustments.

I would start with 2 clicks B & R off minimum. Take it on a motorway and using just rebound, get it so that the nose bounces only once over large bumps / undulations etc. That's it pretty much set.

If you raise or lower the car afterwards, you'll need to readjust the dampers again because the static preloads affect the spring rates.

Avoid the temptation to dial in too much B & R as it massively reduces grip. A small amount of low speed bump will take the edge off initial impact with bumps, sunken manhole covers (as per typical gyppo resurface jobs) and pot holes and is a very welcome adjustment for a daily car.

TBH and knowing how fussy you are, I don't think you'll like the V3s. They are noisy! The rear dampers make a loud "phsssssshhht" noise over bumps. Spoke to KW UK about it and they reckon it's normal and is the oil moving through the valves. Not sure if that's a fob off or not but it doesn't bother me that much tbh.

Fussy? Moi? :)

Well, I guess maybe I am. I'm just chasing the elusive goal of good primary and secondary ride without compromising handling - just like every engineer does. :)

Although if things go the way they possibly might, then my Corrado could cease to be a daily driver and become just a track day car in which case my requirements may be different, so I'd best hold off any suspension purchase for now I guess.

Fitted the Weitec Hicon Coilovers today - VERY impressed with the ride. Seems firm yet comfortable. Going to have her tracked up and camber adjusted in the morning. piccies soon!

Fussy? Moi? :)

Well, I guess maybe I am. I'm just chasing the elusive goal of good primary and secondary ride without compromising handling - just like every engineer does. :)

Yeah I hear that!

I had my geometry redone yesterday at Stealth and I also applied the "33% bump rule" that he recommended from his Audi and Vento track racing days. He said that bump being 33% of the rebound works best, so on the KWs, that means 3 clicks of bump to 9 clicks of rebound and holy moly, she's a kart round the bends with ride of a Bentley....well....not quite, but it's pretty darn good.

I knew the secret to success would be unlocked via those adjusters, but I had no baseline to work from and I ended up having stupid settings like 10 clicks of bump and 3 of rebound, but it still wasn't too bad though, LOL!

hi

vr on 35mm vogtland springs and koni sport gas adjustable dampers not to harsh only on big pot holes but very nice handling :)

hi, my corrado is ariving this week and it needs new suspension, i want to lower it so it looks good on the speedlines and improve the handling without having to worry about wheel rub or too harsh of a ride. im talking about a maximum of like £500, so was concidering weitec gt or fk silverline coilovers, or a normal type susspension kit.

i have read through loads of posts but am struggling, i like the look of the weitec hicon gt's, does anybody haves these or know anything about them?

Has anyone heard of/fitted the FK Highsport Edition Plus coilover kit???

They are, based on the Highsport Coilovers with an additional 6 damper rate settings, top adjustable.

After reading reviews on the Highsports having a tendency to be too hard; maybe FK have caught on and incorporated an adjustable damper for the 'softer' amongst our community?

With a budget of around £400 I cant find much better for the money?! Unless someone can sway me towards something else.

M4N1