Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

What my mechanic told me

I've had my car to a good mechanic the last few days, and the stuff he tells me about my car seriously scares me. Example, this time: The electrics of my car is in a complete mess. He swapped the fuse box because not only had its mountings broken off, but it was in the middle of a melt down as well. The fuel pump relay was MISSING (mind my car was in perfect running condition prior to this, it was just draining a lot of power quickly), and was probably wired to something else.

This car is a electrical nightmare. LUCKILY, he's fixing it all for me now. It's idling quite roughly as well, and he's taking a look at that as well.

it's a corrado mate - what else did you expect :)

you should see my electrics/central locking/interior rattles.......

Mine said that he's not that convinced about getting the injectors cleaned/tested etc. Said its more psycological than anything else.

Not sure if I want them done now!

hehe thanks... well this isn't even the corrado's fault, but dodgy owners, using crap connectors and skimping on pretty much everything (i.e. there are a ton of wires just cut straight off by the fuse box.

I would really like to have the time and resources to do such a thing, but an expensive corrado, which also happens to be my daily driver, is not a good starting point. Watching somebody work would be cool of course.

Im glad i can as i don't think I could afford a corrado if I couldn't fix it for myself...just to dame expensive!!!

Yup, im with you here man, pretty much done everything to my rad myself. way forward

... dodgy owners, using crap connectors and skimping on pretty much everything (i.e. there are a ton of wires just cut straight off by the fuse box.

This is exactly why people prefer to buy a car that has NOT been hacked about at all. Rather buy a car with low miles and no major repair work (on a Corrado? Hah, no chance!!) than one with middling miles and lots of major, potentially bodged, repairs .. Unfortunately the reality is "many new parts" == "many dodgy repairs carried out by best mate who used to own a camper van in 1976 and thinks he's a mechanic".. :)

And though it's great for the people who can do it themselves and save money, inevitably there's a section of the car-buying public that would be wary of taking on a car where there's no *receipts* for the work. Swings, meet roundabouts..