Sign in to follow this  
djemmo

2nd gear

I've just bought a corrado and I'm having trouble changing gear fron 1st to 2nd, it goes into neutral ok then sometimes I can't get 2nd gear , is it a known problem. Dave

Sounds like the either the gear linkage needs adjusting or the circlip under the gearstick has come loose.

As a starter, Gear circlip problem should help, but a search for "gear AND linkage" or "gear AND circlip" should find you more info :)

Have a look at the link in my last post, or have a search as said.

There's no Haynes manual for the Corrado, but there is a Bentley manaul for the US-spec cars (some bits are the same, some are different) and a Lindsey Porter manaual too, but not sure how good that is.

Mechanically, the Corrado is made up of mk2 Golf and Passat parts though, so if you have those 2 Haynes manuals, you should be set with most stuff you need.

hmmm..

I couldn't get into 2nd gear when I first bought my new g60 , but I found that the circlip had dissapeared, so I replaced it and it made the gearchange MUCH better, but I still find now and then it crunches going into 1st, so maybe the gearbox mount is the next thing to change.

I dont think the mount would affect the gear change from stand still as much,more on the move. Anyway the gearbox mount didnt fix mine completly but definitely improved it! I going to change the rear mount for a VT as its the only one I havnt changed. I does feel like movement thats causing the problem as i can feel it through the stick whilst trying to engauge!

pic of the circlip here :)

if the circlip is there and it struggles to find gears then its gonna be the cables that are tired/need adjusting.

Neil. :)

Thanks for replies- how do I get to the circlip, where is it and if I need to adjust the cables how do I do it..........Dave

where the karmann badge is on your gear lever surround,pull the plastic up at that end...you will then see the gear lever rod and the shaft where the circlip should be.

not too sure on the cables sorry m8...

Neil. :)

no probs dave m8,was a big releif when i saw mine was missing :lol:

makes a real difference!

Neil.