Sign in to follow this  
juloesG60

Poor MPG & high running temps

My recent purchase of a 95 2L 16v is going well so far just lowered it got it fully serviced, but after driving about 800 miles in it now im finding two key issues im a little worried about.

Firstly the MPG return is being very poor, averaging between 20-27 MPG and thats even if being frugle with the right foot!

Secondly Oil Temp is averaging 118 - 120 C today sitting in traffic on the M25 at idle and even at speed after didnt really drop below 108 - 114 C!

Ne body else finding this? Are the two likely to be related?

thanks

not sure about mpg as im rather heavy footed but my oil temp is about the same as yours. Ive always thought it ran hot but it doesnt seem to cause any problems....

It seems to me that the 2.0 16v is the most troublesome of Corrado engines, despite the relative simplicity. My friend's 2.0 16v Corrado regularly reaches similarly high oil temperatures but is returning not far off 40mpg.

The oil temperature seems high to me as the oil in my 1.8 16v rarely tops 100 degrees. I guess maybe all the 2.0 16v engines run hot. I think I'd be inclined to fit an aftermarket oil cooler if I owned a 2.0 16v that reached those temperatures.

But that could have just been your old Lambda probe was faulty. I doubt that buying it at 3 times the price made the probe any better. Plus you'd have to make your MPG double to make the money back on a new probe at VAG prices..

brakes dont seem to be binding, it is possible the timing is out as I have just had the cambelt done and perhaps the timing is not quite been set properly, it does link in with what 'flusted' says about feeling gutless as low down it is seeming extremely gutless even for a valver!

What aftermarket oil coolers are about?

I have a similar problem with my 92' vr6.. I get about 15-16 mpg average... That seems very poor. I do rev it up every once and a while but when I drive very economicly I still recieve about 16mpg in the city. The highest my mpg has gotten was about 23 on a open road with no traffic.... What is the problem with my car?

Lanceevox, i'd connect it up to a VAG-COM & check for eror codes because it sounds like your car is overfueling quite a bit. Could be a lambda sensor fault.

It's also been mentioned before, but tuned engines may throw off the MFA. Only way to know how much MPG you're really getting is to do a manual test.... Fill er up and drive her around. Then refill and see what you used for what distance....

I did this recently.... mine was out...

The VR6 MFA's mpg readout is fed by the ECU, so as long as the ECU is directly in charge of injector timing (which it is), then it knows within a pretty tight tolerance *exactly* how much fuel it put in. The rest is simple maths.

Sounds like the timing's out on the 2.0 16v, I'd agree with that. No way your oil should be > 100 degrees at idle. The oil should reach the *same* as your water temp at idle, no higher.

As for the VR6 doing 23 mp(US)g .. ? *That* might be the lambda.. but you'd really need to get the diags port scanned..

More likely it's the lambda. Heavy overfuelling is usually the lambda..

Get it on the ECU scan..