Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

24v V6 Engine Conversion

I knew it wouldnt take too long for you to turn to the darkside, all you need is a mask and some deep breathing and you will be complete ;) Oh, and 24 valves!! :lol:

yeah, i admit it, it didn't take long.

the more i thought about it the more it seemed sensible to go for a newer engine.

fingers are crossed.

That was the main reason I did it mate. I could have spent nearly the same amount getting my 12v sorted, but it just made sense to go for newer and better (?) with more power and speed.

Good luck ;)

.. Apart from insurance and resale ramifications. Despite the R32 being a "standard" engine in *a* VW, it's not a standard engine in *your* VW, so you will get shat upon for insurance. And this will have a significant impact when/if you sell the car too - the buyers will be looking at a car that's had an engine swap and that they will have a nightmare insuring.

I agree, there are many upsides, and they probably outweigh the downsides, but don't rush in without thinking about this stuff.

.. Apart from insurance and resale ramifications. Despite the R32 being a "standard" engine in *a* VW, it's not a standard engine in *your* VW, so you will get shat upon for insurance. And this will have a significant impact when/if you sell the car too - the buyers will be looking at a car that's had an engine swap and that they will have a nightmare insuring.

I agree, there are many upsides, and they probably outweigh the downsides, but don't rush in without thinking about this stuff.

Wrong i'm afraid. I pay less for my standard engined 24v V6 rado than I did for when it had a modded G60 engine. Most modified car insurance companies only care about BHP, not what is producing it. :)

jay

cant see much point in doing a full swap though if you dont get a power hike for it. a new engine and being different are the only real points i can see.

There are endless reasons.

1. The power delivery of the 24v is completely different to the G60, its not the peak figures that make a car fast, it how long that figure is spread across the rev range!

2. You get a hell of a lot more efficiency from a modern engine. 36MPG on a long run rather than 28MPG.

3. You get all the extras (if you install the whole lot), cruise control etc..

4. You know you will be able to get parts for a lot longer as its only 3/4 years old rather than 15/16.

5. You get FULL vag-com diagnostics so you never have to guess what might be wrong again...

I could go on.....

Jay

Jay - i started a similar thread addressing VR engine rebuild or replacement and you've just sold it to me mate. I'm going for the R32!

Cheers!

Actually one further point regarding insurance - do you think insurance companies log enquires about significant engine modifications?

(apologies for temporarily stealing this thread)

Cheers

I can understand about the extras like air con and the newer engine with better economy. you dont get much more of a torque spread than a G60 though jay

its all opinion but i wouldn't swap a perfectly good vr for a 24v. the vr would have to be on its way out to justify the cost for what, 20 horse? i can see why you swapped the G60 though as its a different shooting match the 24v feels more effortless but unless its 4x4 like some of the others have done i cant see the advantages for the cost.

not dissing your project though mate as its one of the best around. luv that dash job.

Ive read alot of this thread..but have you guys sourced your engine from the Bora/passat. britain/ europe etc and is it the DOHC or the OHC 2.8 which has 24V's? and that being the AQP or AUE engine??

Hopefully a good question lol.

Engine code for the latter 24v with vvt is BDE (european market), not sure what the code is for the american one.

AQP is the earlier 24v without vvt for the yank market and AUE the same but for the europen market, AFAIK

Dutch

edit: Mine, Stans and I think Jays are BDE 2.8 24v's and the other are R32 lumps

BDE - E for european would guess, especially considering the american code is BDA

I think the r32 one is BDF but I cant remember... or it might be ADH....oh balls I think I heading the same route as Mike Baldwin

BDE - E for european would guess, especially considering the american code is BDA

I think the r32 one is BDF but I cant remember... or it might be ADH....oh balls I think I heading the same route as Mike Baldwin

in that case i'll give you 25 quid for your engine mate. seems fair mike?

:)

Wrong i'm afraid. I pay less for my standard engined 24v V6 rado than I did for when it had a modded G60 engine. Most modified car insurance companies only care about BHP, not what is producing it. :)

jay

Not wrong, just different. Your car was modified anyway.

Fair comment. But I think most people on here have modified cars, so the sort of insurance companies we use are not bothered, in general.

Jay