Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

24v V6 Engine Conversion

Most people who are "vocal" on the forum have modified cars, true enough.

I find it quite annoying being stuck in the same three or four insurers every year though, that's very restrictive.

cheers. i got most of those down but not all.

i actually stil get a good deal with elephant but they wont take on the 16vt

so a 24v is cheaper than a modded G60. thats good but not for FI peeps.

you dont get much more of a torque spread than a G60 though jay

quote]

yeah, but its about the amount of torque, not just the spread.

for example, i would rather have 20 fags evenly spread before me, than 10 fags evenly spread before me :)

for example, i would rather have 20 fags evenly spread before me, than 10 fags evenly spread before me

:lol: I really hope you're talking about cigarettes there

I think it's all about both... But I take Jay's point - A curve can be consistently high but often ignored over 'peak torque figures'.

Car A might have a peak torque of 200 lb/ft spread nice and high along the rev range and Car B might have a torque curve that suddenly shoots up within a short rev range to attain a peak of 210 lb/ft. I'd rather have Car A!

for example, i would rather have 20 fags evenly spread before me, than 10 fags evenly spread before me

:lol: I really hope you're talking about cigarettes there

I was going to put 'reefers' but thought I'd keep the thread 'clean' as it were.

Bit late now though ;)

intersting points. triggers got it there. the power of an engine is the area under the torque curve. that makes a G60 a powerful engine. however it drops off early in comparision with a multivalve x-flow. now when using the car harder most of us use say 4k+ change at 6 ish... you get the idea. so that means that most of the time when screwing a G60 is beyond peak torque-power is dropping off. the reason i am gonig 16vt. it will have a narrower powerband than the G60 but when it comes down to it the 3-4k of rev ill be using will give a lot more and it will be a lot faster as long as i stay in boost. as ive said before though i think ill miss the low down from time to time. i do fancy a GT40r on a 24v though hence my interest in the thread.

I think it's all about both... But I take Jay's point - A curve can be consistently high but often ignored over 'peak torque figures'.

Car A might have a peak torque of 200 lb/ft spread nice and high along the rev range and Car B might have a torque curve that suddenly shoots up within a short rev range to attain a peak of 210 lb/ft. I'd rather have Car A!

no sh*t sherlock!

i think i'd have car A too funnily enough! :)

the problem with BHP and torque figures are that they don't give an accurate representation of the car... :|

As previously said, it's the area under the graph (either BHP or Torque) that's important, not the height it peaks at, and even then, it's seriously difficult to quantify and compare 2 engines for performance from just a pair of graphs 'cos the gearing then comes into it along with a whole bunch of other factors...

Basically a car is only as quick as it is... numbers don't make a fast car, the whole package needs to be right to do that... ;)

Thanks for answering the engine code question.

Next...Does the OHC still have 24V????? none of the 5 books ive looked state it.

Or does the engine have the little 2nd cam attached to the cam like some of the other VW engines?

henny its area under torque as hp is just a calculation taken from torque. i know you knew that already but thought id add. but you are right. no point having the power if you cant put it down or stop it.

I like meatiness in the midrange, say 3 to 4k onwards. It's typical 80s/90s VW engine behaviour and fitting to the car we all love. So many modern cars these days are tuned for low down grunt for easier and more relaxed low speed cruising and pulling away etc, but I often find that when stoking the boiler at higher rpms, what initially felt like a torquey engine suddenly does not.

What the 16V and VR6 lack in the lower regions is more than made up for at the upper reaches of the rev band, it's character, good for high speed cruising and typical cross flow / multivalve behaviour.

If I want to rip tree stumps out of the ground from 600 rpm to 2000 rpm, I'd buy a Chrysler 300 C. Only big capacity Amercian V8 autos can deliver the kind of bottom end grunt that rearranges your organs as soon as you jump on the gas at idle, but why waste all that grunt with a nannying traction system? Better to have the torque higher up where rolling momentum won't cause undue strain and traction loss and where the power is more usable.....