chuck

Heater Matrix Replacement Guide

just got my new heater matrix from VW, so gonna do mine soon :( oh well at least i wont have a swimming pool in the rear footwells.

really really not looking forward to doing this again, this will be the third one i've done. not in the same car by the way.......

thank god i found this thread. had stripped dash down tonight ready to remove it fully as my matrix dumped hot water on my ankles this morning! :shocked!: that woke me up i can tell you! hope it all goes as smoothly as some of yours have ! :)

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old thread but this seems a good place to ask this question.

I am attempting to replace the heater matrix in my VR6 without taking the dash out. There is a wire loom around the Fan Arm which will prevent me pulling the whole assembly out from under the dash. How did some of you deal with this. I cannot see any accessible connectors which would free up the loom.

I have not started on the three fixing points in the engine bay yet because I can see this loom being a problem.

Picture of loom attached.

cheers

Adrian

There should be 6 clips that hold the heater assembly to the fan and duct.

2 on the front and back 1 on the top and bottom.

They're where the duct meets the heartier assembly.

Once these are removed you should be able to wiggle the fan and duct through the wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to bump an old thread, but Jesus Christ, I can't move that bloody plastic nut. Seems to be done up inhumanely tight, any tips?

Just finished after about 12 hours ... I have replaced the hoes in the paddles with Aquarium filer and sticky aluminum tape ... we shall see.

Regarding the wire loom around the fan arm/duct - I found it easiest to unclip the 3 fuses (if that is what they are - 79; 179 and 179 - to release the duct.

Now very knackered.

My next project.. which matrix did you buy.... I want the best quality one I can get... as I’m only doing this job once...

I went through Heritage Parts Centre. The first one delivered was ruined in transit and they were very prompt in sending a new one - no need to return the old one - for no extra charge. It was better packaged. I took photos throughout of all the boxes etc. Really impressed. Cannot confirm it was VAG OEM but keeping fingers crossed. Good luck.

Valeo seems to be the best - this has been covered plenty of times. You can still get Mk3 ones from VAG new, but they are about £150 and also made by Valeo. Sometimes you will also see Hella ones. Nearly all other "brands" are crap and not worth buying as they will fail sooner rather than later it's false economy considering how much labour goes into swapping out the matrix - it's not a job you'll want to repeat in a hurry.

looking at a heater matrix..

silly question coming up... do I need a different matrix if I have air con ????

the wording for the matrix im looking at says. No AC

1991-1995 2.9 Petrol Coupe 190 bhp [Eng.Code: ABV] CRITERIA: NO AC; ABV.

i'm assuming because corrados came standard without Air co. they would not put a new matrix in when air co was fitted. anyway its a different system.

Edited by delfinis38

I'd say it should be the same part for a UK car that had aircon retrofitted, but it might be different for US/Europe models with fsctory aircon. The matrix is just to get heat into the system anyway.

looking at a heater matrix..

silly question coming up... do I need a different matrix if I have air con ????

the wording for the matrix im looking at says. No AC

1991-1995 2.9 Petrol Coupe 190 bhp [Eng.Code: ABV] CRITERIA: NO AC; ABV.

i'm assuming because corrados came standard without Air co. they would not put a new matrix in when air co was fitted. anyway its a different system.

Definitely just a standard heater matrix if you have the Diavia aircon system.

As said many times b4, get the best and redo the foam on the flaps (sounds wrong!!) I also gaffa taped all my plastic HVAC joints as it went back together, super efficient afterwards

Good luck with this one