Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Car not starting - maybe dodgy old immobiliser

I got my first Corrado about a month ago now. I love it and everything was fine with it up until Saturday when it wouldn't start. I got in, put the fob in the imobiliser, turned the key in the ignition and nothing... it didn't even turn over, you could hear the fuel pump click on but that was it. The battery is not flat, all the lights etc were still working. I left it for a few hours and then it started fine with no trouble.

Then today I started it up fine, drove to work, and now its decided not to work again. So now I'm stranded and don't have a clue what it could be.

Any help???? All I keep thinking is it must be the imobilliser which is one of the old varieties with a little key fob which you put in the dash and then take out before starting the ignition. As the engine isn't turning over but the battery is definitely ok, I can't think what else it might be.

If anyone can help at all I'd be very grateful.

Welcome to the forum (and Corrado ownership!)

Could be the imob but I would buy an ignition switch first, cheap and will go wrong eventually anyway and you can try without fitting it (which is a pain)

- just make sure you turn the key in the barrel to release the steering lock before you drive the car if it works!

Thanks for the advice.

It actually started again last night so I think you might be onto something with the ignition switch. It could be on its way out and being temperamental.

I'll get a new one and try that.

Any idea how to replace the ignition switch? I'm no expert at wiring or mechanics! I've noticed Haynes don't do manuals for Corrados, are there any other manuals anyone can recomend??

I have a very similar problem in that i go for a short drive then get back in and try and start it up again, it turns over but doesnt fire. Do you think this could be the ignition switch or is the imobiliser? Its only every now and then this problem which confueses me!?!

Your problem sounds exactly the same as mine except mine doesn't turn over when it happens, it's just completely dead.

The weirdest thing about it is the way it just happens sometimes, and usually as you pointed out its when you go for a short drive, then go back to the car within a short time and try again! It seems to be alright if left for a few hours or more :?

I'm going to try and get a new ignition switch before the weekend if possible and replace it. I'll let you know if it works and makes any difference. Out of interest do you know what sort of imobiliser you've got as that's another possibility I reckon.

Thanks Walesy for the link for replacing the ignition switch (very helpful, reckon I can do it now!).

Your problem sounds exactly the same as mine except mine doesn't turn over when it happens, it's just completely dead.

So it's actually a completly different problem then! :lol:

No stereo work has been done in mine, the stereo's like an antique!!

I did find a load of water in the passenger footwell after it rained hard last week. I'm thinking this could have come in through the heater system if there was a blockage in the drain holes. Maybe something got wet from this and is playing up as a result.

Looks like I've got a busy weekend ahead...

I did find a load of water in the passenger footwell after it rained hard last week

Another one to 'use the search' for mate :)

There's a few possible reasons for water in the P/S footwell

I think I'm getting somewhere with this. It happened again this morning but I managed to start it by pushing the key (and the lock cylinder) in further. Then it started straight away. So I've tested it and this seems to be the problem. If you don't push the key and the lock right in then it doesn't start the ignition even although the key will turn all the way round like normal.

Its a bit weird but at least I can get it started now. Dunno how long it will last like this for tho. I'm intending to change the ignition switch anyway. Does it sound like thats still the problem or could I need a new lock cylinder?

ps. I've sorted the leak problem too thanks to a search on the forum. I found about a tree's worth of leaves behind the bulkhead which was blocking up all the drain holes. Nice n easy one to fix.

it's DEFINATELY the switch in that case... all the barrel does is lock the steering column and turn the switch... 8)

this happened to me to, and it turned out to be the starter. Just so you know that could be a possibility.

Hmmm....sounds like the exact same problem, that has just developed in my rado.... :cry:

ignition switch it is then (most likely).

Bugger! Well I've replaced the ignition switch with a VW one, and still nothing. Still here the fuel pump click but thats it. Any further suggestions, would really be appreciated.

:cry: :cry:

Its a 1991, 1.8 16V.

Been working fine no problems (never missed a beat, never failed to start) until yesturday morning, just woudn't start. It has an immobiliser, though it is farily new and seems to be disengaging, basically you stick the key turn it, flash the fob at the steering cowling, and the little light stops flashing, and the dash lights come on (fuel, oil etc..) as with a normal start, I then turn it fully to start ignition, and absolutely nothing other than the fuel pump click from behind me.

As I said above, I've replaced the ignition switch now...but still have all the same symptons.

Tried wipers, electric windows etc. to check battery and all seems fine. It's unlikely that overnight it would have completely discharged itself.

Umm, I've been a bit slack on this actually! It seemed to sort of cure itself. Once i figured out that I needed to push the key in a bit harder to move the lock cylinder back and make the ignition switch work, well since doing that its started first time every time.

I'm 99% sure that its the ignition switch that needs replacing. But as its been working again, I've been trying to sort out my rear brakes for the MOT along with some other stuff so haven't got round to changing the ignition switch yet. It's on the to do list though along with 100s of other things!!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this. I'll be back on the road within the next few days, and I can't wait!!

mine is showing similar symptoms at the mo, you turn the key and there can be a delay of several seconds before any signs of life, always fires first turn, but you don't know how long after you turn the key!! gonna change switch this weekend to hopefully cure the problem before i get left stranded!!! thanks for the helpful links!!