Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

Full beam problem

Hi,

I got a bit of a shock when I was negotiating a dark country lane on saturday night, I clicked my full beams on and was suddenly left in the dark, fortunatley my dipped still work. I was having a bit of a play with the electrics last week, changing the interior lights over from red to green, the only ones I have done are the window switches and the wing mirror adjusters, could something I have done there affect the lights? Sorry I'm pretty clueless when it comes to electrics (should I be messing with the interior lights you ask? Probably not :) ).

I also have the upgraded light loom, I did a rudimentary check of the connections behind the headlights and they seem okay at a glance. I was wondering if the main beams are on a separate fuse and if so which one?

Any help much appreciated, cheers.

i had the same problem not too long ago. make sure all connections and the fuse on the uprated loom are ok and connected and seated ok.

Not sure off the top mf my head which fuse the main beams are, but if you take the fuse box cover off there is a list of the fuses!

Yup, I had this problem with my uprated loom and it was a blown fuse and a gammy connection.

whats the fix for this dinkus/et al - i have this at the moment with a newly fitted loom. Speaking to the maker of these looms and theyre happy to help me solve it - other than this theyre great :)

any help apreciated

Yeah, there's a pair coming off the battery cable, one of them had blown.

Why is a slight worry, but I've got spares now and if it blows again I'll look into it further.

just that i replaced mine 3 times and apart from the first one they blew within seconds. Sure theres a logical reason for it - just I dont know myself as i know little about electrics etc

Go to a reputable electrical shop (i.e. not Halfords) and ask for an automotive fuse of the required amperage that is slow acting.. Or some suitable fuse wire and make your own fuse.

When you first switch the lights on, their resistance is lower and the circuit carries an instantaneously high current (maybe higher than the rated amount). As the bulbs heat their resistance increases (and they glow!) and the current drops to a more "normal" level.

Sceptics should read this: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_12/4.html ;)

"Fuses can be designed to blow fast, slow, or anywhere in between for the same maximum level of current."