Sign in to follow this  
DaveVR6

Labeled engine bay photo

Was wondering if anyone had a labelled up photo/image of a VR6 engine/engine bay, think it would quite a useful resource for people (me included!)

I think there's one on the Canadian C forum, by Dennis, He certainly appears to known his stuff. Dont know how to post links on a webpage but you can find it in their technical forum

gradeAfailure, yep, those are the ones. Good lad. Its a useful set of pointers too in Dennis' article, and his engine bay does look smart imho.

OMG.

I've got a part missing from my VR6. Pic 2, part number 7

Stick it up then Philip!

There you go David :D (it only labels the sensors though - still useful I guess)

whats this bit???

Its not coloured on mine and it hate it, looks outta place

Its just part of the cam cover, it differs between early and late VRs. On one type its part of the cam cover itself and the other type it is separate.

how easy is it to remove? should it be removed? (obviously not permanently, just for laquering/painting)

Mines a late VR BTW

DaveVR6, Yeah - that is a very late VR and has the plastic cam cover, yours is metal...

You could 'upgrade' to one of these as they are lighter and soak up engine noise but you'll also need a new gasket and remove the studs from the top of the head as the plastic ones have captive bolts to hold them on rather than bolts.

You have to do a bit of work to get to it as the manifold has to come off altho this is fairly easy, remove HT leads out of way, unplug ISV etc then undo 7 allen head bolts at the front, a couple of pipes, water pipes on the TB and various vac pipes, then just unbolt the cover and lift out the way holding the fuel pipes clear...

Also a good time to check condition of chains / tensioners.

Cheers, very useful info!

How would I 'check' the condition of chains etc, is it just a visual thing or is there a more scientific way?