Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Tappy noise when cold?

I've just spent an hour on the search and nothing seems familiar so i'm sorry guys (n gals).

When the cars cold (vr6 92k miles) and started there is a tappy noise. After 30 seconds or so it clears and the cars as smooth as you would expect. I thought it was the auxilliary belt as it was making that dry grating noise on acceleration so i changed it with an OEM belt and the tappy noise is still there.

Is it the tappets or a belt to a pump? I love to take it to the garage but by the time i'd get there the damn tappy noise would have gone god damn it!

Any help most appreciated

I have this same issue and I think others with VR6's mention something similar. Not sure what it is but would love to find out. My friends Jetta VR6 starts nice and smooth in the morning so I am not sure why mine doesn't. My guess would be a bad lifter but I can't confirm this. I believe there is one that goes sooner than the rest due to where it is in the head but I am not sure which one.

Paul

I had a golf VR6, i know the unit is different in some ways, but when i bought mine it was sweet, it would start up and have hardly no tappety noise. Once the car had runned for a bit the noise would vanish, i was told thats a common thing with a VR6 engine as its large and needs time to warm up etc.

I also was told it is nothing to worry about, as once at running temp its smooth as :D... Its like if you've heard with the CTR's they are the same.

Is it your teeth?

Mine (16v) rattled for a few seconds when cold, definately the lifters. I've just cleaned the oil pump pick up strainer out. It was about 20%-30% blocked. Oil pressure is now on average 1 bar higher at low revs, plus it rattles for about 1 second now on a cold start.

May well be worth cleaning the strainer, even if it does not stop the rattle it will provide better oil pressure.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? On mine the pressure goes up to 6 bar within a couple of seconds on a cold start.

Sorry guys, been away from the PC for a few days.

Oil is changed regular as you like but as dr_mat says it is probably not worth worrying about. Still it is nice to know others have the same.

When you start a damn nice looking car you don't want to sound like a tight git who can't maintain it properly so it would be nice to sort thats all.

When you start a damn nice looking car you don't want to sound like a tight git who can't maintain it properly so it would be nice to sort thats all

You could try denting a few panels and not cleaning it?

You could try denting a few panels and not cleaning it?

Or just forget to mention to my bird to be careful opening the door into walls, posts etc each time she goes to get in/out

Sounds like something not worth worrying about to me ...

Sounds like something not worth worrying about to me ...

That tapping noise is definitely a metal on metal sound, so premature wear is indicated. I am pretty sure it is a lifter and I remember reading somwhere that there is one lifter that gets hotter than the rest and dries up and makes that noise. Although you would think it would be the same on all VR6 engines. My friends Jetta with about the same mileage doesn't have the tapping.

Puzzling...need a stethoscope.