Sign in to follow this  
Elboy

Blue smoke

Hi All,

Well I have read through all the past threads relating to this problem but I thought I would just post my own to double check my suspicions.

I own a 1990 1.8 16v. The car does get through quite a bit of oil, i.e. I’m topping it up once a month. which I think is way too much. The exhaust blows blue smoke pretty much constantly.

Before you ask there is no oil leak. Car drives perfectly but just blows blue smoke and likes a drink of oil. There is no mayo in the oil so I’m thinking no water is getting in there and therefore the head gasket must be fine.

What do you reakon is the problem??

probs valve stem seals...classic 16v problem. Ofcourse could be rings but less likely. the 16v is meant to use around 1l for every 1000 miles (i think its in the service book). how many miles do you do and how much oil do you top up with?

hth

Really? the 16v is supposed to get through that much oil?? 1L for every 1000 miles? wow!

having said that i probably get through a bit more than that though so...

But yeah there is blue smoke so i thought valve stem seals too based on comments on the forum.

How difficult is it to sort? what would i have to do?

Cheers

I think the 1litre every 1k is a maximum oil usage figure. I'd say it's a bit much really...

Yes - that figure is just to cover themselves on new cars that can use alot...

If any 'run-in' VW uses more that a litre every 3-5's then i'd say your looking at engine problems.

Mine uses a bit, probably 1 litre every 2-3k, i'm trying some Silkolene oil on my next oil change to see if it'll reduce consumption.

(Happy birthday Dave! :) )

Thats a good point! what oil are you using. I use the vw synta 10w40. Its a good oil but maybe a bit thin for an aging 16v when hot.

You could try something a bit thicker when hot would that be 10w50 (i can never remember how the number work with oils)

my 2l16v uses around 0.5L every 1000 miles (well it used that over the last 995 mile trip i just got back from)

edit: the seals cost next to nothing but the work to fit them is hefty. not sure if they can be done with the head on or not..

Valve stem seals can be done with the head on - the garage will pressurise the cylinder with air to hold the valves up, but the guides will need to be checked for wear as if they're worn, the new stem seals will last no time at all.

To check whether stem seals is the most likely cause, stick the car in whatever gear gives you about 4-5000rpm at the top of a long hill and go down it with your foot off the throttle pedal. At the bottom, stamp on the gas and see if that's when you get the cloud of blue smoke. If so, you're most likely looking at stem seals iirc.