EDSTARVR6

Broken Wiper Mechanism

Hello there,

[email protected] approx## I am currently trying to replace the connector rod, BUT I can't. I can't get the 3 balck plastic peices of trim from the bottom of the windcreen off. They are clipped in place at the front, which I can see and have unclipped the plastic from, they are clipped at the back, which you can't see, but I have managed to free them from there, BUT they also appear to be glued with a blob of rubber in the middle which is very strong. I can't remove the trim from this rubber blob and am afraid I will distort the plastic if I pull too hard and won't be able to get a good seal back on the windsceen.

please help##

Further [email protected] approx##Just had another look at all the diagram, it appears these peices of trim I talk off don't have to be removed, but the part which the wiper arm attaches to does, back to the garage##

I see from previous threads that others have experienced the same problem as me.

My wiper mechanism keeps working itself free and the wipers stop mid-wipe. I can place the rod shown in the picture back on, but there is nothing to hold it in place. Whats missing? Can it bought separatly? Take a look and see what you think.

Also if someone could post up a photo of the same mechanism with whatever holds it in place I (and probably others, who get in this situation) would appreciate it :).

Other notes: the short rod coming from the bottom of the motor (about 15cm long, shown on the right in first photo) has a lot of play in the vertical direction, I guess this is so it is free to rise and fall when the wipers are working? But am I right?.

When I put this rod back other the pin to connect to the wiper mechanism there is only about 2mm left on top to fit whatever holds the rod in place. and the two rods don't sit flat with each other.

brokenwipermech2.jpg

brokenwipermech1.jpg

thanks for your help, and thanks to my mate Rob who was with me in the rain this morning and worked out what had gone wrong, the same guy also jumped started my 'rado from his E reg Fiesta last year :wink:

Off for dinner, and then to coat the windsceen in rain X and check the BBC weather forecast

ed

That is a ball joint and normally just pops on and off. Holds itself inplace. I think you will have to replace the central bit that the ball fits into.

Might be wrong but am sure someone will be along in a mo. :oops:

Think it's actually called a rose joint... I think ...

Going to search and find 5 other threads on this fix ... ;)

when it happened to me i melted the plastic bush slightly with a lighter and pushed it back on. Trouble free ever since.

Thanks for the help. I had read a few of those threads earlier in the day, but my search didn't find threads 3 and 5 in the list (which were the useful ones).

Gunna try and order the operating rod 169mm (part number 15 in diagram) tomorrow.......bet I have to buy more than that though.

From the sounds of it the plastic/nylon insert in the ring has worn to far.

Do a non-rain dance for me please.

You need a vice to press the ball (rose?) joins back together. It doesn't take a lot of pressure though, so you may be able to do it by hand.

You definitely need a vice/press to press the lugs on the new spindles into the chassis. Obviously if you're not replacing the spindles (the bits that the wiper arms attach to) then it's not an issue.

Ok - so this might win a record for reopening an old post, but here goes!

I've just experienced the same problem as the original poster here - the short arm attached to the wiper motor has detached from the rest of the wiper linkage. I'm struggling to reattach the linkage and the archived links above no longer work. Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Thanks in advance

Paul

When I replaced mine I used a pair of "water pump pliers", the kind with an angled head. Hold the joint together and place a large nut or spacer on top. Grip the whole lot with the aforementioned pliers and squeeze. It should pop on without any problem. The spacer is there to allow the ball joint to allow clearance for the ball part to come through unrestricted. Hope that makes sense. unfortunately if the joint has popped once it is likely to do it again at a really inopportune moment. a new linkage arm is the only permanent fix.

got a link for this?
Think there all gone now, was posted up about the last few being for sale not so long ago

I contemplated buying one but decided not to and in usual corrado style the one on the wife's corrado has now popped off and won't stay on!

I have ordered a repair clip off ebay that apparently holds it on for few quid will see how it goes, after ordering this I also found somewhere that supplys the rubber Bush's for a few quid incase anyone else is in the same boat as me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Think there all gone now, was posted up about the last few being for sale not so long ago

I contemplated buying one but decided not to and in usual corrado style the one on the wife's corrado has now popped off and won't stay on!

I have ordered a repair clip off ebay that apparently holds it on for few quid will see how it goes, after ordering this I also found somewhere that supplys the rubber Bush's for a few quid incase anyone else is in the same boat as me

hi. Do you have the link for the repair clip and new bush? These should be plastic and not rubber though.

As as a temp solution I popped it back on and used a heat hub to slightly melt the bush around the ball joint. Holding well so far.

hi. Do you have the link for the repair clip and new bush? These should be plastic and not rubber though.

As as a temp solution I popped it back on and used a heat hub to slightly melt the bush around the ball joint. Holding well so far.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windscreen-Wiper-Motor-Linkage-Rods-Arms-Link-Mechanism-Repair-Clip-Kit-/281832877467?txnId=1784535435018

Don't know if that's worked but that's the clip I got seems to have a hold of it will soon see the wife's off to work with the car now

And yeah sorry after looking again properly the Bush I found was a rubber one for the spindle not the plastic linkage one but I'm sure I did see a replacement linkage one on eBay but it was from Germany and they were wanting 15 quid postage! Can't find that again though sorry

Edited by neil20vtc

I just ordered some of these... They're called WINDSCREEN WIPER LINKAGE MOTOR REPAIR CLIP KIT on eBay. I haven't got them yet but many people say they work to keep the mechanism together.

Edited by dan

I had mine fixed at British Airspace, by a friend!:p He installed nylon Bush set and new screws, For Sale, Unused Onhold project for years!!