Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Ford Focus ST

My mate has just got one of these.... :)

Have to say they do look very nice indeed, although his gearbox seized about 2 miles down the road from the dealer!!

Anyone been in one?

Everyone seems to think it will wipe the floor with my car??

They are extremely good - I'd find it difficult to choose a Golf GTi over one, especially in the metallic orange.

Amazing how a simple re-design of the exhaust has made ithe engine feel and sound far more aggressive than in Volvo's

Was offered one by my local Ford dealer for 16.5k, brand new and in mid spec ST2 trim

225BHP, not sure on the torque figures, apparently the Ford engineers have designed the exhaust to produce a Quattroesque warble

The orange one looks like an after market respray colour chosen by a 17 year old chav!! Blue is loads nicer IMO! Would like to have a go in one, but my VW bias would point me more towards a Golf GTI (chipped to 250bhp :wink:)!

I think any sensible person would find it hard to justify a mk5 GTI over a Focus ST or a Chavic type R simply based on the price, all three have simular power, good handling and style wise, theres really not alot in it.

obviously most of us VW nuts arent sensible though ;)

obviously most of us VW nuts arent sensible though ;)

This is true!.....we all drive 10+ year old coupes!...hardly a sensible choice money wise!

Don't agree with you about the style though - the VW commands far more style than the other 2! I LMAO when Clarkson was leaning out of the ST shouting "ROONEY!" :lol:

It's also worth thinking about residual value - unlike the RS focus, I can see the ST not being quite so good as the Golf. No need to even mention the Civic!

well, yes fair enough the golf is a bit more subdued in GTI form than the ST or the CTR, but all three are nasty high sided boxy newfangled designs.

the new civic type R which is coming out later is seriously Phat though over the Golf, i qute like the new focus too, WTF is happening to me

Yep, and if we're talking 16 grand for a car, I'd stick it in a MK4 R32 anyway.....man, those b*ggers just will not drop in price!!

hopefully i can get around the awful 1st & 2nd Gears of the standard g60 box when when i put my Vr6 / G60 hybrid box on the car, when i can be bothered to fit it... 8) that should help deliver the power a bit more nicely.

my brother in law is a ford man and he just got rid of his old st for a new import scooby (paid £16.5k) over the new st. i must say i saw one in white the other day and it looked nice.

the new civic type R which is coming out later is seriously Phat though over the Golf' date=' i qute like the new focus too, WTF is happening to me[/quote']

WITCH!!! Prepare the fire :lol:

The ST sounds lovely on full chat and you can get an ST3 (the leathery goodness) for around £17.5 - £18K if you shop around. To get a MK5 GTI with leather will cost you £22K, but you can get a regular cloth'd GTI cheaper than list if you again, shop around.

Orange and blue only is very poor. Ford are not catering for the more discerning buyers at all and those Fiesta ST cum Dodgey Viper stripes are rank. Off with them straight away although I think you can spec them without now?

I must admit to struggling against an ST in the lower revs, they have some good torque, but my top end left it very convincingly once at motorway speeds. Oh and they are VERY VERY composed over bumpy B roads...... be warned and hang on tight if you chase one on such a road.

I'd still take the Golf any day and get it down to BBR for a Morego 275hp chip and exhaust package. The ST suffers with bad lag, a chipped GTI has no lag what so ever, so much so I was even considering dropping the FSI turbo engine into my car, you can get the complete transplant package from Brentautos for £2K.....which with another £1K on top for the 275hp upgrade, is a real bargain imo.

I've read about 6 hot hatch write ups and only once did the GTI come second to the ST by a very close margin, mainly cause it's cheaper. The remaining 5 write ups put the Golf at the top spot where it belongs.

dinkus, u think thats bad we went to see a mitsi evo last week on 55 plate for 17k nearly bought that but it was YELLOW

dinkus' date=' u think thats bad we went to see a mitsi evo last week on 55 plate for 17k nearly bought that but it was YELLOW[/quote']

Meh, they're nice cars, but the interior is slightly below the build quality of the Corrado and they're so common.

If they do one in pink tho...

the new civic type R which is coming out later is seriously Phat though over the Golf' date=' i qute like the new focus too, WTF is happening to me[/quote']

Called common sense mate and not just falling for the 'This is x branded product, therefore it is worth an extra 3k premium on top of this other brand!'

The new MK5 GTI is a lovely looking motor but really they just aren't with it on their pricing when compared to the competition. I think the Focus ST will end up getting the same sort of image as the Impreza if its not careful but it does look like a nice car.. not even seen one parked up yet though so not had a chance to have a nosey around one!