Sign in to follow this  
cromwell

un-connected wires

hi there

some of you may have read my other posts about this problem, but ill explain it again quickly anyway. my car starts and runs perfectly until it heats up and i get steam erupting from the header tank and the car overheats. i know this sounds like the head gasket but whilst having a poke around today i found a couple of unconnected/dodgy wires that could possibly be causing the problem? the first is what looks to me like some sort of sensor that is completely unplugged and is on the drivers side of the car, by the induction. could this be unplugged from my water pump?

http://i3.tinypic.com/vzypew.jpg

The second is a wire in front of the head that seems to be warped/exposed:

http://i3.tinypic.com/vzzati.jpg

The third is right next to the warped wire and is again unplugged:

http://i3.tinypic.com/vzzc4h.jpg

any ideas guys? all help much appreciated, the car is sitting on the drive doing nothing :cry:

The first plug looks like the ambient temp sender to me judging by it's position, does the MFA show outside temp OK?

Third pic looks too short to reach anything major, could be something the previous owner did or something for diagnostic tools maybe?

Second pic, not sure on that one!

not sure about the MFA's outside temp, will have to check that later! wouldnt be causing the problem then you dont think?

Is one of the wires for the optional oil pressure gauge sender? My 16v has a wire for that in the loom that's connected to nothing.

Have you got both of the sensors plugged in on the water hose that leaves the head, the first looks VERY much like the blue one that should be connected there. (think it's water temp, so that should explain overheating)

Have you got both of the sensors plugged in on the water hose that leaves the head, the first looks VERY much like the blue one that should be connected there. (think it's water temp, so that should explain overheating)

I agree. That blue plug is the give away really.

2nd shot is your knock sensor cable. Mine was in a sim condition. Tape it up. Follow it back it will have a plug on 1 end. The other end is bolted in to your engine block or 'Should be' Mine was not. Again the cars wonderful previous owner who was an employed mechanic!!!

Other shot. Well could be for attaching to an oil switch or it could be for the alternator. Does you Alt have a single wire coming of it? If so is it connected?

Mine has a single wire that breaks at a join like that. For removal of the Alt I guess.

Hope that helps

Similarly i've got some random wires in my engine bay, even Vince couldn't work out what the hell they are for! I'll post up a picture of them tomorrow... :)

cheers for all the help! g60 dave yes i have both the plugs plugged in, ive even changed the plastic bit they sit in! But youre right, it does look exactly like that plug.

is there anywhere i can download a haynes manual or something similar in PDF format or anything? cant find one in any of my local shops!

In the most awkward place - right underneath the car, obstructed by the PAS pump bracket, and a pain to change. Follow the radiator bottom hose to the engine and you'll see a black plastic housing that it goes to - that's the thermostat housing. If the bottom hose isn't getting hot, then it's the thermostat at fault. Get a VAG one as they're better than the GSF ones, though you might want to get a Neuspeed 80deg one from AwesomeGTI if you're going to be modding the engine.

wooo finally i think i might be getting some answers! cheers guys! ill get on that tomorrow. ill look into that one from awesome GTI too, because i will be modding the engine up more eventually.

:D

well i took the car to a garage and they changed the thermostat and it still boils up so the thing is now just pissing me off. anything else it could be? i may just have to scrap the thing and break it for parts if this carries on any longer :(

well i took the car to a garage and they changed the thermostat and it still boils up so the thing is now just pissing me off. anything else it could be? i may just have to scrap the thing and break it for parts if this carries on any longer :(

Did the garage check the waterpump? Maybe its dead! Do you have the new water expansion cap? They are blue in colour. The old black ones are prone to pressure failure.

Ask the garage to do a water test. This will show if you have headgasket trouble.

Also flush the rad with a hose pipe. Maybe it has a blockage.

My 60 had lots of probs. Was boiling over all the time. New stat still not fixed. In the end they tested the pump, it was fine bur my headgasket had gone. The water was flowing down my exhaust! This was why I could not work out where my water was going. Head was kinked had it skimmed and refitted no trouble since.

ah thats good to hear, someone who had a very similar problem! how much did it end up costing you for the head gasket replacement etc?