Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

Whats the Easiest Brake Upgrade?

Hi,

Spent today at Cadwell park today. I was an amazing day with one unfortunate side effect. I have become bitten by the trackday bug, need to go again, now!

The biggest let down on the rado was the braking, had to brake very early and they went off too quickly for my liking, would like to do at least a 20min session without worrying about fade.

Would a swap on the front for cross drilled / grooved discs help? with some better pads? If so do you have any suggestions?

I am running 17s, so should I be considering a 288 or 312 conversion.

Thanks in advance..

Yeh Radovr6storm has. I think he had to shave a few mm off the calipers though...

The 312s are the cheap and easy brake upgrade, but they're still road brakes and will fade on a track. They're also rather hefty.

They should give you better braking and will last a couple of laps longer than the standard stuff before they burst into flames though (seriously - do a cool-down lap before you come in).

Braided hoses all round and 5.1 fluid are also very highly recommended - if you're using the brakes a lot, the fluid gets hot and softens the standard rubber hoses. Then when you brake some of your braking force is lost to flexing the hoses rather than pushing pad into disk.

Kev's AP Racing 4-pots are more like what you need for hardcore track work, but they're something crippling like £1,500 :shock: :lol:

If you do a lot of track days, you'll want the 312s as a minimum, drilled discs, fast road/track pads and 5.1 fluid.

Try some Pagid ceramic race pads too, RS42 or RS14 are good uns. They need a couple of sharp stabs in the mornings if used on the road, to get some heat into them and then are fine there after.

A decent midway organic track/road pad is their RS421, or Ferodo DS2500 are good too. Avoid DS3000, it contains iron and the dust will wreck your wheels :-)

EDIT - Dinkus got in there first :-) And yeah, the APs are somewhat pricey but imo VR6s *need* something like that as the standard brakes are just w@nk. Pardon my french :-) 312s are the best and most cost effective middle ground though ;-)

Yeh Radovr6storm has. I think he had to shave a few mm off the calipers though...

He's got 16" RCs, 17" will be fine

APs are somewhat pricey but imo VR6s *need* something like that as the standard brakes are just w@nk.

In the same way they need a supercharger and water injection? :lol:

APs are somewhat pricey but imo VR6s *need* something like that as the standard brakes are just w@nk.

In the same way they need a supercharger and water injection? :lol:

LOL, Yeah - Kev doesn't take his car on the track but he no longer gets beaten to that last warm Steak and Pepper pasty at Sainsburys on his lunchbreak...

The fade you describe is most liekly the pads.

The 288mm upgrade is the easiest as it just bolts on without haveing to sort longer bolts and spacers.

Get some hotter pads first, with changes in the fluid and braided hoses if you're still losing the brakes.

Anyone braided their hair?

Just wondering if it would stronger and less flexible than just brushing it?

I'm mad :-)

Thanks for the advice, yes, cooling down laps were essential. I would only go out in short stints, couple warming up then maybe only 5 flying laps, the cool down. Any longer and your car, and more importantly your EGO, gets red hot!

I think I need to decide if the Storm is the right starting point for my new addiction. It feels sacrelidge to modify or track it as I have put so much effort into its care and keeping off the miles. The plan is a few tracks this year, I would like to do Donnington, Brands. One day I want to head over to Nurburg too.

Some thinking required..