Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

Hi all im polishing my borbets tonight

can anyone tell me if they have done this did they laquer there wheels afterwards and if so how!

also did you use and paint stripper to first!

Thanks Andy

A lad called J4M3S has done it, I'll see if he's on MSN now to come on here. He's registered here too..

edit: Nah he aint on MSN at the mo but check his gallery Here

Looks smart IMO

yeah they do look good do you know how he done them matey sorry i mean the before and after polishing!

would like to know how hard it is too laquer the alloys and then also before whether he used paint stripper do you know how i can get hold of him 16v or is there any chance you could ask him too post in here cheers fella!

i did mine ,paint stripper (nitromors) ,then wet sanding and polishing ,it aint easy though and there still not perfect ,i tried laquering with 2 pac and it wouldn't stick right ,and it dulled the fnish,may just be how i did it though ,im sure its possible ,your car looks sweet it would really suit it with polished wheels ,good luck !!

i tried laquering with 2 pac..

bet he wasnt much help. :lol:

LMFAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi lads used a 400 grade paper last night and have just started to rub down the little scuff marks but it seems very time consuming! so Im just gonna try the lips of the 4 alloys first then see how that looks and if im happy then ill keep it as that!

regarding taking the wheels to someone - if i dont get the desired effect then i probably will but I wanna try myself first!

the polishing will have to go on hold later as i've heard a funny noise in the bay on the way to work today so will need to inspect that later!

then carry on polishing should be able to show you a bit more by monday when post some pics!

Hello mate,

I stripped and polished my TT rims - they were in a shocking state with lacquer peel and corrosion. Basically there is no short cut just plenty of hard work, but you can easily do them in about 2 weekends. The results are impressive though and I've not lacquered mine after polishing. You can get a polish called Belgom which protects unlacquered wheels well. TBH, if you do lacquer them, if or rather when, the lacquer lifts you'll have to strip them back down again and start over, hence i dont think its a very good idea to do. Just make sure you dont use them in winter!

In a nutshell, strip them down with Nitromors, use some steel brush attachments in a drill to assist removal of the softened lacquer. Then rub the rough areas with 120grit w&D. You'll need some polishing mops too - I got mine from http://www.thepolishingshop.com. and they'd got a good guide too on their site. HTH

Wish I'd taken some pics of mine along the way now :(

hi mate thanks for that i cant find their products page for some reason

in regard to the wet and dry im doing it all by hand! and my wheels are'nt too bad at all so starting at 400 then working up!

what grade did you finish with fla?

also where did you get belgom from?

here's what i've been doing very long process i've started with all the lips and been getting the curb marks out not done by me i must add! heres a pic of them

DSC02022.jpg

then here's pic with no mark!

DSC02019.jpg

then i got a little bored and polished my exhaust was very happy and it was like a stained stainless steel colour not good and here's what it looks like now!

DSC02018.jpg

and here's just 2 pics of the beast after a clean!

DSC02020.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

good work m8 8)

you are doing the right thing starting off with rough paper,can be a bit scary...but just try and get a nice/even non pitted mat finish all over,polishing is really rewarding when you get to the stages of using finer wet n dry.

you want to finish off with at least 1000 grade,2000 ideally.and then move onto liquid polish.

car looks good,ill take the wheels if ya get pi$$ed off with em :D :lol:

Looks Minty.

Im not surprised your exhaust got dirty dude. All that popping and banging on lift off.

cheers riley i used 1500 on the exhaust i was really happy with that and didnt take ages but yeah with the wheels its just gonna take time!

gaz yeah i dont have to play footys on saturday now so thats fee'd up a big chunk of time to allow me to fiddle!

yeah i think the flame must be slighty tarnishing it zippy! lol

Sorry to sound an idiot... But can anyone give me a rough bullet point on how to do this polishing thing... What paper d you start with and where's it from... I fancy having ago at this :)