Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Rear caliper probs...

Both rear calipers on my new valver have completely seized. I can only park on a flat surface. The paperwork shows that the n/s rear caliper was replaced in Feb this year, so it shouldn't have seized by now.

Anyway, before I spend loads of dosh on new MKIV calipers, what's the best way to try and unseize them? Gotta be worth a try. Is it just a case of wheels off and lots of WD40, or do I have to remove the calipers totally (worried about trying this!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

...so hopefully no need for new calipers? Are the bias valve and cables easy to change?

The valve probably just needs unseizing mechanically...

Look for the block with brake pipes going to it near the rear axel, then locate the spring mechanism next to it, spry loads of WD 40 on it and try and 'free' it with a hammer (being careful not to hit the brake lines) - MOT testers are used to doing this on VW's!

mind you, both the handbrake actuating arms were shot on my sis's rear calipers - replaced them both with calipers off a broken VR and joy, handbrake again! apparently std calipers are only £35 or so for the pair, exchange from gsf...

Thanks guys.

Steve, I'll give that a go first. Is it best to have the wheels off?

I Failed my MOT on the bias valve being seized. WD40 and a hammer :lol: Soon soughted it.

Valve-hard.jpg

These are the lines going into it.

2_Door_fun, thanks for the pic! Where did you put the WD40, and what did you actually wack with the hammer? Could you bung some arrows on the pic? :wink:

Cheers

2_Door_fun, thanks for the pic! Where did you put the WD40, and what did you actually wack with the hammer? Could you bung some arrows on the pic? :wink:

Cheers

Here ya go mate.

valve-side.jpg

valve-below.jpg

My cars of for its retest 11:30 tomorrow morning here's hoping :roll:

Thanks matey, you're a star :) Pics are worth a thousand words.

Best wishes for your retest!

You need the brake line conversion kit from Goodridge too @ £35.

If your other lines are the early rubber type you have to change all of them for the braided ones ~ 6 intotal, two conversion lines for the rear and the replacement ones for the front and rear axle

Thanks matey, you're a star :) Pics are worth a thousand words.

Best wishes for your retest!

Woooohoooooooo

I have my MOT...Get in there hahahahahhaha. Tester said when I have run in that Supercharger that car is not going to be touched from the lights.

Handbrake is a bugger. Even with a new caliper and adjustment it still only reached 18%. He said try to adjust it a little. His mate has a Mk2 Golf and that prooved to be a swine to get right.

Anyway I'm off out for a spin.... :D

Right, gave the bias valve a load of WD40 and a good hammering, and the handbrake is now working! Thanks for the advice guys :D and 2_Door_fun, thanks for the brilliant pics.

Have got hold of a couple of MKIV red anniversary callipers as a precausion :wink:

You need the brake line conversion kit from Goodridge too @ £35.

If your other lines are the early rubber type you have to change all of them for the braided ones ~ 6 intotal, two conversion lines for the rear and the replacement ones for the front and rear axle

can I ask why you need to replace all of em?

Have got hold of a couple of MKIV red anniversary callipers as a precausion Wink

Nice one - they are factory powdercoated so should last longer than standards!

can I ask why you need to replace all of em?

STORM 2, I think they just recomend that all are done as it will change the 'feel' of the pedal as the hoses will not expand as much as the rubber ones...

hmmm, sis's C failed on n/s caliper not working on handbrake (tho pretty sure it's the cable) and seized compensator - guess what I'm doing Sunday!

guess what I had to do this morning after my car failed it's MOT...

They really are a crap design... :lol:

Still, she's got nice new brake pipes now and a working compensator, so I think I may go whole hog tomorrow and fit the MKIV rear calipers and Brembo 4 pot fronts while she's off the road with no MOT... :roll: :lol: