Sign in to follow this  
Storm Monkey

Sub installed...........and room for the shopping!

Finally got round to finishing my install. Not the greatest sub or amp I know, and not exactly sexy, but it sounds a damn site better than without, and I still have a boot/spare tyre etc. The space was too damn complex to make an MDF box, so I lined the hole, took a GRP mould, and stuck a face on it. It sounds pretty resonable, with a vol of 19.8l, Qtc of about 0.76 and F3 of 46Hz, for the technical buffs! And yes, I do realise the speaker ain't quite level! I managed to make a clamp thingy to hold it in place too, so no drilling or gluing to the car. All I need to do now is stuf in a little rockwool (absorber) tidy up the wiring and re-fit a boot light.....a few ultrabright LED's I think!

Phil

OK.so I need to work on not posting the same pic twice!

looks very nice that

good work

you could prob make a bit of cash selling the mould

The mould would need a little work first - a bit too lumpy to see ATM. I would have made it easier if I could have rolled the car over to do the top bits! Bl**dy resin too runny!

Phil

nice m8 8) i started out doing the same but ended up with 2x subs in a shelf :lol: never been good at measuring/cutting funny shapes...

If i'm honest never been a fan really of mouting a sub to look neat, because thats all it ever will be (Neat)...

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sound... Subs have to be measured and placed in a specific dimension made box to get quality sound..

But thats just me!!!!! Each to their own... Looks nice and tucked up tho

Good work Mate

If i'm honest never been a fan really of mouting a sub to look neat, because thats all it ever will be (Neat)...

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sound... Subs have to be measured and placed in a specific dimension made box to get quality sound..

But thats just me!!!!! Each to their own... Looks nice and tucked up tho

Good work Mate

Know what you mean mate,

I once had a single 15" hit 142dB only powered off of two rocky 120.2 amps, all that was down to the box.

It was damn ugly, but served it's purpose!!!

But if you do decide to knock out any more moulds, chalk me down for one!

Yeah, It's not a bad compromise though. The volume was calculated (have some very useful software for windows!) and measured, the box has no parallel surfaces, so should avoid standing waves/strange resonances etc. The construction is very stiff, as GRP is anyway, plus there are a few stiffening ribs inside to boot. I admit I would have vented it, but the volume would have been about twice thw size, and I'd never get the dive kit in there with it! Sometimes practical has to win. :(

Phil

Phil, i've been playing around with cardboard templates dreaming about doing exactly this, not being able to stretch to some audiscape rear enclosureage. Yours is how i dreamt mine would look but won't im sure.

Top work, very impressive indeed 8)

Can see the other guys view points too, but I use my boot a lot so this really appeals. Plus im loathed to buy mad expensive hardware beyond a certain point as a car has to be the worst place on earth to get quality sound anyway.

What are these spl comps then? A friend of mine said they are to get the highest db reading possible, but i assume its about quality too or you'd just stick a metal dustbin in the boot and throw a £30 firework in there?

Can someone explain how they are judged etc??

Phil, i've been playing around with cardboard templates dreaming about doing exactly this, not being able to stretch to some audiscape rear enclosureage. Yours is how i dreamt mine would look but won't im sure.

Cardboard and old plastic bags is the way forward! first step was to totally line the boot with plastic, sheeting, to avoid resin spill damage, then randomly slapped mat and resin in the hole. Easy really. Trust me, though, behind the carpet and front piece of MDF, its scruffy as hell! I can do some more pics/instructions if you want.

Phil

Or you could make a few more and sell them! seeing as the Audioscape one is £180, I'd be happy to buy one off you if they'd be considerably less...? ;) looks good mate!

looks very nice that

good work

you could prob make a bit of cash selling the mould

interested too

I have a few jobs to finish at the moment (I have no bathroom!), but might see if I can use smooth over the cast, and use it to make a mold for more. Will keep ypu posted!

Phil

Dave, can you describe the clamp as im not keen on drilling any bodywork, which is whats been holding me up.

Ive made some carboard templates and im going to try and do the whole lot in mdf. Think ive got everything i need, other than knowledge! Im going with a 10 as ill probably loose some volume with the inner bit being mdf it wont be as close fitting to the near side inside, does that make sense!?

Anyway clamp? and any other advice much apreciated.

Jigsaw is in hand!

Nice work, I got a false floor. No room for shopping. I am going to atempt this one before the summer is out.

Really clean!

You could make a bracket to attach it to the top of the suspension tower, where the parcel shelf support is attached by a nut/stud arrangement. That's what I've done, with that and the close fit I have with the rear seat and rear bulkhead it's well secure! :lol: Mine's a Jekyll and Hyde box, tidy from the front, mdf and fibre glass filler monstrousity at the rear :lol: Works ok with it's little 8" though :oops: Err........Yeah just read that back!

id settle for an 8" lol

cheers colin, unfortunately i think my strut brace may hamper this approach but there may still be a way to use the turret, or if lucks on my side when i have another look it could be easier!

starting to wonder if i should just use the standard sub box up againsts the rear seats, but i really want a neat unit that i cant forget about and still do the shopping, when asked!