Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

changing thermstat and water pump vr62.9?

hey all

i am atempting this weekend to change my thermostat and water pumpon my vr62.9, however i have a few complications!

first with the thermostat, one of the three bolts holding the housing on has ground up inside, i have bought a bolt remover but wondered if there was any advice to make my life easyer, for instance would running the car to walm up the engine help it come out a little easyer??!

the other prob is i dont know were the water pump is or if it a tought job? i could not see any guides on the site but i guess there must be one or if someone could give me some dirrection on the matter.

all help apreciated,

many thanks

nick

Hi mate.

Fek knows how to get that bolt on the thermostat housing out.

As for the water pump..... it's on the right of the engine near the front, kinda under the coil pack.

Its about 6 inches or so long. An inch or two thick and cylindrical in shape. Like a very large silver and black cigar! :)

Water pump is an easy enough job i guess, but quite hard to access.

Good luck :)

There are 2 water pumps on the VR6, one belt driven and one electric...

The elctric one is easy enough to get to and swap over but the main one is a bit more involved...

If it is the main water pump I suggest you join the CCGB as there is a really good writeup by Chris Gaskell with photo's on how to change it in the latest Sprinter magazine.

ok i am at my wits end, the bolt on the thermostat the little one that is recesed, is ground up inside i have tried an extractor and it did not work, it is such a pain to get at, does anyone have a idea to get it off! maybe break the housing up somehow, help please@!!!!!!!

the housing useually breaks when you take it off as they become brittle over time,just break it around the bolt and use some vice grips on it

It may be an idea to chance the thread title to read 'thermostat', instead of 'thermstat', so the search function has a better chance of finding this information again for others with the same problem. Just a thought!

Yep, new housings are only £25 from the Stealership, cheaper still from GSF. Just break it and get a new one, you have no choice by the sound of it.