Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Really want a corrado

have search for about 1yr looking at various VR6's, but recentely starting to think its not worth it.

£4-5k for a 12yr old car, over 100,000miles, etc, plus extra fuel costs, extra tax, extra insurance.

also i doubt i'll get to it to its full potiental due to where i live, and roads i use, (mainly b-roads, very bumpy, not many straights)

so might consider a 1.8, i here this is quicker than the 2.0?

is there much scope to improve the performance? also what kinda fuel consumption should i expect

have seen, VR6 = 25mpg, 1.8 = 30mpg, not much in it really???

VR6 every time!

So smooooooth! Really is fantastic. 4-5k for a 12yr old car that will probably never lose any money if looked after.

G60 if you really want to tinker, but (might be wrong here as never owned one), but VR6's are much better than the valvers for driving. Hence the reason you can pick them up for half the price of a VR.

i wouldnt discount any of the models - depends on a number of things depending on your circumstances.

Personally I like the trade off between insurance, petrol and mechanic bills on my valver (2.0) - not to mention you can pick up a decent one for about 2.5k or less.

Buy on condition and history and you can't go wrong

And you want a good history, not just a service book thats been stamped! (Talking from experience :oops:)

On a good day (e.g. warm), and as long as I dont push it, especially hard acceleration, can get 32-33 mpg out of my standard VR, so not that expensive to run, considering the smooth silkiness and performance. OK so mine is only used when I'm playing, so generally average about 25mpg :-P . I have also corked it out from miles and litres into tank, so I know its accurate.

*Get a VR, you wont regret it!

Phil

(*opinion only, please dont sue if it dies, costs a fortune, etc) :D

the 1.8 and the 2.0 valvers produce identical horse power in standard trim but the 2.0 delivers more torque 8)

VR6's are much better than the valvers for driving. Hence the reason you can pick them up for half the price of a VR.

Well, that’s a load of tosh…! How many valvers have you driven? if they were so crap how come we all havn’t upgraded to a VR long ago…?

There is a certain ‘exclusivity’ that some people seem to have about the VR, people seem to automatically want one cos it’s the fastest with the biggest engine, and that’s fair enough, they are fantastic cars, but that doesn’t mean they suit everyone! 5k is a lot of money for a 12 year old car if your not an enthusiast or 100% if you want one, I’d say get a valver (1.8 is slightly quicker but the 2.0 is torquier and slightly younger so may have less miles on it etc), you’ll get a good one for 2k, and then see how it goes… you can always upgrade in the future…. I love driving Boyfs VR but I wouldn’t have ever traded my valver for one…..

My old 2ltr got 30mpg when ragged and 38mpg when not – you’ll struggle to get that from a VR…..

have seen, VR6 = 25mpg

I get higher than that, mid 30s on motorways, but never below 30 as a daily drive

VR6's are much better than the valvers for driving. Hence the reason you can pick them up for half the price of a VR.

Well, that’s a load of tosh…! How many valvers have you driven? if they were so crap how come we all havn’t upgraded to a VR long ago…?

You obviously didnt read my post properly. Heres a quote!

G60 if you really want to tinker, but (might be wrong here as never owned one), VR6's are much better than the valvers for driving.

Emphasis on the bracketed comment!

You obviously didnt read my post properly. Heres a quote!

G60 if you really want to tinker, but (might be wrong here as never owned one), VR6's are much better than the valvers for driving.

Emphasis on the bracketed comment!

Yeah, I saw, I can read… but why you would even think that I have no idea, how many valver owners come on here and complain about how they are to drive…. :roll:

I was focusing on the power & torque aspect of it. I've owned valvers more powerful than the Corrado variants and I believe the VR6 is much easier and obviously quicker to drive.

Even Top Gear said the VR6 is the one to go for, and lets not forget the reviews of when it came out saying the first engines were underpowered for such a good chassis.

They're not bad cars by a long shot, I recommend people who cant afford the higher ins etc to go for one, but the VR (IMO) is better. How much better is the big debate.

I don't think there can be a debate on the issue of drive and power.

but you need different cars to suit different bugets, and different tastes etc.

Otherwise we would all be driving around in 500BHP Super Cars.

lets not start a "VR is better than G60" thread again, there are a million of those on here already :)

look at the figures in both power, price, insurance etc and see what suits you

(ps. VRs are the best :p)

['H3R4POR]

lets not start a "G60 is better than VR" thread again, there are a million of those on here already :)

(ps. G60's are the best :p)

:wink: :lol:

seriously though,just buy what you want.

id suggest driving each model that you have an interest in if you can (maybe a forum member or 2 could help?) and also worth reading a few techy threads on engine mods etc...

neil.

['H3R4POR]lets not start a "VR is better than G60" thread again, there are a million of those on here already :)

I'm detecing moderating potential there :-)

Although no one mentioned the G60 until you just did, LOL!

IMO the valver makes a better cross country car than the VR6. It has less weight to drag along over bumps and twisties and you can feel that in it's keener turn-in. Whilst the VR does cope well with 173Kg of dead mass forward of the axle line, you're always aware of it!

As all the other guys have said, have a look at all the models and decide which you prefer.

for me its the G60, but everyone has their own opinions and at the end of the day there isnt a right or wrong answer!!

As for not getting the full potential from B Roads??? are you mad?? thats where they are most fun!

They're all great infact, with there own characteristics.... I've had all three and think they're all great in their own rights...

You need to drive all of them to find out which one suit you best..

all the best mate

['H3R4POR]lets not start a "VR is better than G60" thread again, there are a million of those on here already :)

I'm detecing moderating potential there :-)

haha, I'm gonna add "use the search function" to my sig for sure ;)

I'm too sarcastic and opinionated to be a mod :)

hi people

thanks for all that, very useful.

i've only driven the VR so far, and looked the whole seating postion, the way it feels like your sat "in" the car, not on it, if you know what i mean, kinda surrounds you.

I really can't handle sitting in Fords etc after driving my VR for so long.

I get back ache, and just generally feel like I am driving a tractor!

Drop the seat in the C right down, get the steering wheel sorted, and your sat in a great position.

I don't know how people can handle these other positions

['H3R4POR]I really can't handle sitting in Fords etc after driving my VR for so long.

Drop the seat in the C right down, get the steering wheel sorted, and your sat in a great position.

Heh, I know what you mean, I had to drive a mates Vectra once for a looong journey. Goddamn after an hours my back was really aching and realised how crap the seating position was. In the Rado it just seems perfect, seats are great too.

['H3R4POR]I really can't handle sitting in Fords etc after driving my VR for so long.

Heh, I know what you mean, I had to drive a mates Vectra once for a looong journey. Goddamn after an hours my back was really aching and realised how crap the seating position was. In the Rado it just seems perfect, seats are great too.

indeed :)

(ps. VRs are the best :p)

How about a debate on how special/ overrated Storms are? Never seen that before!! :D :D :D :D :D

:oops:

yup - nothing can compare to the driving position on a rado...! my Audi, with seat as far to the floor as poss, still feels like a bl**dy bus..! the rado is also the only car that I have been comfy in, i am only 5'5" but everything felt in proportion and nothing was too far away.... god i miss my car already!!! lol.....

I'm 6'3" so it shows something when you can have 2 peeps with almost a foot difference in height (and alot in reach) both being confortable.

Hooray!!!!!