Sign in to follow this  
Trig

Dent - Pissed off. :roll:... but not anymore! :)

Yeh I would love to see the CCTV footage, it would be worthy of ebaumsworld I reckon.

Walesy, so yours is booked in at the place opposite RK? Leme know how you get on. This local place can't do anything for 3-4 weeks anyway because he's all busy with RTTS stuff. :roll:

Walesy, so yours is booked in at the place opposite RK? Leme know how you get on.

Yep , despite him repeatedly calling my car a Scirocco he seems nice enough , i'll let you know how it goes.

I think all supermarkets should be force to use trolleys that you put pound coins into. Then the lazy gits are forced to attach it to another trolley to get their quid back! Its such a simple soloution :roll:

I think all supermarkets should be force to use trolleys that you put pound coins into. Then the lazy gits are forced to attach it to another trolley to get their quid back! Its such a simple soloution :roll:

Completely agree with that! I don't know why more places don't use them.

Just wanted to say as well that my friend called up chipsaway last week because someone put a scratch (only about 10cm long) in his door. They quoted £170 and the scratch wasn't even that deep- seemed expensive to me!

Everybody shop I speak to says DO NOT use chips away.

Several people have said to me that they've had to have chips away repairs repaired after a couple of months.

Okay, well I've never used them, but was just suggesting that genre of company as a possible alternative to a full-blown bodyshop - hell, just trying to save the guy some money! :roll:

but whoever you use, i wouldn't let them near the car without seeing examples of their work anyway...

ChipsAway and their ilk are just franshise operations. It all depends on how good the guys are at the particular one you go to. I just put my Dad's Honda Accord in to have a really nasty bumper scrape & a couple of wheel arch scrapes done.

They did such a good job I'm entrusting the Storm to them next week to get a small dent on the door swage line and a couple of carpark door dings taken out - I'll post before & after pics.

They did such a good job I'm entrusting the Storm to them next week to get a small dent on the door swage line and a couple of carpark door dings taken out - I'll post before & after pics.

i`ll be interested in the before and after shots , i`ve got a couple of minor digs in my drivers door and would like to lose them

getting mine done next weekend, but the doors can be a pain apparently as the line iis so sharp that paint can just flick off!! my doors are pretty bad so i`m getting it done anyway... pick to follow next MON/TUE

Completely agree as well, no need to emply gimps to tidy them up either.

Completely agree as well, no need to emply gimps to tidy them up either.

..... be careful what you wish for ,you might be grateful of a job when your older trig :lol:

seriously tho, car parks are a bit of a no no to me, i`m sure we`ve all seen some fat or old git who will just fling the door open without a thought or the selfish git who `rest` their laden trolley against your car whilst they load the boot of their own sh*theap, i hope you get the dings sorted out without to much fuss or expenditure trig, damned pain the ar*e :rambo:

ChipsAway and their ilk are just franshise operations. It all depends on how good the guys are at the particular one you go to. I just put my Dad's Honda Accord in to have a really nasty bumper scrape & a couple of wheel arch scrapes done.

thats handy, your near me, so I could get the same guys to sort out my rear arch.

whaere abouts are you mate, and whats the number/url? :)

They're in High Wycombe 01494 769 079. Nice guys but very busy (usually a good sign, I find!). Both times I took the car to them first, got a quote & it was booked in for a week later. Mine's going in on Tuesday so you'll be able to judge from the pics.

£250 sounds a bit heavy. I think this 'blending it in to the next panel' thing is a cop-out most of the time, especially on metallic finishes, I had a crumpled rear arch filled and sprayed within a small area without needing to blend into the next panel, and once the clearcoat had been flatted and mopped over a larger area you could not tell where the repair had been, from any angle.

The C was Dragon green by the way, the job cost £100 and the place who did it was nothing special, just experienced I guess!

Cheers Nick, i'll give them a bell buddy :)

Andy, i've had nothing but stick from body shops and my Pearl finish, if you don't wanna get the whole panel done they won't do it, not cos they want you to pay more, but cos they don't wanna put their names to a sh*t job.

['H3R4POR]Andy' date=' i've had nothing but stick from body shops and my Pearl finish, if you don't wanna get the whole panel done they won't do it, not cos they want you to pay more, but cos they don't wanna put their names to a sh*t job.[/quote']

Agree with that. It really isn't a proper job if they don't fade it in properly, especially on an old car.

Well if it makes you feel better I think mine has probably got a dent on every panel ,which I must say are quite minor and I didn't notice them when I brought it! Not to mention a couple Ive done myself ! :mad:

Was thinking of putting up with it till I can afford a pukka quality respray! Although that is probably going to set me back a small fortune :shock: .

Was thinking of giving a company called Dent Magician a call for a quote. Has anyone dealt with these people or have any stories? I hear that sometimes they drill little holes into hidden areas to push out dents that are hard to get to and stick bungs in them! I don't know if I like the sound of that.

Hope you get it sorted mate. Its a bit annoying walking up to your motor and seeing the imperfections , I should know !

just get it done at a reasonable price. Your car's paint looks like it's in great condition otherwise, so a blend-in might not be neccessary. I guess you could remove the door and do some of the prep work yourself. It's not impossible :) That should save you at least a few quid, which you could use on food. ;)

about the trolleys, why don't they just replace em all with models with brakes that kick in when you release the handle? The most expensive option, but the safest also.

I've been driving past your car , parked in the 'viewing point' at Watergate Bay all day every day for the last week or so Trig , I assume you're avoiding paying to park :lol:

Today it was parked with the offending side facing the road so I could see it . It has to be said , it's one mother of a trolley dent! - one for a proper paintshop IMO mate, not a paintless dent removal.

']['H3R4POR

Andy, i've had nothing but stick from body shops and my Pearl finish, if you don't wanna get the whole panel done they won't do it, not cos they want you to pay more, but cos they don't wanna put their names to a sh*t job.

Why would they give you stick for having a pearl finish?! I can understand them wanting to do the whole panel because you don't have to blend with anything, but fading it in to the next panel is just being soft.

Agree with that. It really isn't a proper job if they don't fade it in properly, especially on an old car.

What does the age matter when its a clear coat finish? once they take a thin layer off with a compound, it's as-new, the base coat doesn't fade or deteriorate.

For those interested in how ChipsAway did with my dents, here are the pics. I'm very happy with what they've done.

DingBefore1 is a pic along the door with the main 3 dings circled - the worst is the nearest. DingBefore2 is a closeup of the bad ding, but seems to mainly show me :roll: Look at how the lens is distorted in the pic tho'.

The 2 "after" pics speak for themselves & short of having the whole door stripped, beaten & re-sparayed this is as good as it can get, I reckon.

That last pic is actually a reflection off the door and shows it looking like a mirror!

PS

It's only after trying to take these pics that I realise how bl**dy difficult it is to get a proper pic of small dings.

NickRStorm, I've had a few trolly dents taken out by a paintless removal place in Cardiff called Excelldent and they were great , my car was completly straight after they'd spent half an hour on it - but Triggers dent is a monster compared to the normal 'ding's :cry: . It might be worth speaking to a few people before making a decision though

Yep, agree that Trigger's dent isn't the sort of thing that a dent company is likely to want to tackle. For small yet annoying dents like mine the dent places can do a good job, you just have to be lucky with your local one .

What does the age matter when its a clear coat finish? once they take a thin layer off with a compound, it's as-new, the base coat doesn't fade or deteriorate.

somehow i can't see them managing to just take the clearcoat off without damaging the base coat...........if that was the case then instead of them re-painting a panel or car if the laquer is lifting which happens eventually they'd only have to re-laquer