Sign in to follow this  
rixy

3.1 Conversion to a 2.9 vr

hi, im thinkin of doing the above to my vr, as its using oil quite alot, just had the head all rebuilt thinking it was maybe stem seals but the problem is still there! Now thinking its probably the 'ovalling' of the cylinders thats causing the problem. :cry:

Any ideas?

If i go for the rebore, think ill go for the 3.1 jobby, does anyone have any prices on what this might cost?

And what companies in the uk import eip tuning bits, as their piston kits seem quite good!

Any thought would be appreciated, cheers :cry: hi, im thinkin of doing the above to my vr, as its using oil quite alot, just had the head all rebuilt thinking it was maybe stem seals but the problem is still there! Now thinking its probably the 'ovalling' of the cylinders thats causing the problem.

Any ideas?

If i go for the rebore, think ill go for the 3.1 jobby, does anyone have any prices on what this might cost?

And what companies in the uk import eip tuning bits, as their piston kits seem quite good!

Any thought would be appreciated, cheers

Blimey. Here we go again. Lots of dying vr's around!

Don't bother mate. Unless you have very deep pockets. Small gains for lots of money. Get a standard rebuild and charge it. Or get an r32 or a 24v vr engine. Rebuild, r32 or 24v all approx the same cost depending on who does it.

Or you could mince around for months being horribly indecisive like me ;)

PS. Might be time to change your sig a bit??? Lol.

yeah, but i'll be doing the rebuild on my own with the help of a few mates, just need the machining done by someone, all the other rebuild work and port and polishing etc i can do myself? so i only need rough prices on machine (re boring) work, and the pistons etc, along woith any onther bits i might aswel replace while im at it!

Just rebore it to 2897cc with 82.5mm Mahles and save some cash. 3.0 and 3.1 give very little in return for the outlay as Doubles said. And, according to the VR expert - Vince - it's debatable if there's enough meat left in the bores if you go out to 83mm.

Or.... get an R32, they can go out to 4.0 litre apparently :-)

I have a block in need of a rebore. I could probably get it done and sell it to you, that way you wouldnt have to stop using yours. i reckon I could get it done for less than the £160 quoted above too, butr obviously the price of the block would be on top. You could probably then sell yours on and get some money back in.

just a thought ;)

£100 for the rebore and £425 for the pistons and £200 for the gaskets bolts etc and there's ya 3.1 what's the problem with that? Wires just spent £800 on an inlet manifold which will give him 0 power increase.

Go for the power increase with the largest bore you can, it'll be fine, VERY few people have done this so non of the people who are posting on here have any real life experience of this mod and are too scared to do it too so lead the pack and go for it, then put a charger on it!

Chris

Load of old horse mate. Who's too scared?

Maybe people just want to do the best option available? Which probably isn't a 3.1 rebore......

What difference does it make, in reality it's going to be 3.0 i'd guess at, but for the same money i'd rebore it as far as i could get away with, not that i'd say bore it til it breaks but 3.0 is safe and if you can get the pistons to get a real 3.1 do it!

The rebore cost is the same so who's saying it's extremely expensive to go 3.1, it just isn't!

Load of horse mate! :lol:

The bores are worn and poss ovaled like he says so it needs a rebore so whether it's bored and pistoned for 0.5mm bigger or 3mm bigger it's the same money and he's building it up him self so let him go for it, it's the same then go for a remap at stealth or get a snail and then go for a remap, he's be happy. Stop trying to scare monger and put people off 66

Chris

I am sceptical about the 4 litre claim mind. Horra and Chris 'the fainting goat' mentioned it the last time they called round. The block is not that different to the vr, so I cant understand where the extra capacity is coming from.

and I scoured the net for evidence of said R40 and found nowt.

well, like chrisVR6nos says, its going to cost the same to bore out to a standard re bore or to a 3.1 so i may aswel go as big as is safe to do so!

Where did you get your prices from chrisVR6nos? Are they forged pistons and what make are they?

I should have my mk1 polo on the road soon, so ill use that and take the raddo off the road!

How much would you want for your 2.9 block STAN24V as i'd prob have that off ya with it rebored to the required size, that way, like you said, the car can be off the road for the least time possible, and i've got a mate with a 2.8 who wants a 3.1 too, so he';d probably buy my block to re bore out the same?

Cheers

You aint gonna get decent forged pistons for much less than 700 notes mate.

425 is for the special 'away with the fairies' ones that only come free with a 425 quid flying pig :)

(preparing to eat my words)

Vince has sourced some german forged pistons for £500 that take the compression down to 9.5:1, which is just right for taking the edge off the boost and without killing the bottom end. You could always slot some of those in until you're ready for the charger action :-)

Coxy, it was Vince that said the R32 could go to 4 litre. I didn't ask him how mind :-) If VW can take the 32 out to a 36, I'm sure there's a way to get a 40. H8RRA's crank can enable him to get 3.3 with the right combo of stroke and pistons etc....so it's doable.

im not really too bothered what pistons i run, as long as they are well up to the job! Was already thinking of going down the lower compression pistons ready for when i feel the urge to buy a snail!!!!

i take it vince is the ol chap from stealth? might be worth givin him a call when ive got the cash to get him to sort me out with all the necessary bits!

how much can you get a charger for nowadays then?

so direct from eip it'll cost me 899 dollars then? thats not too bad, their kit is everything you need isnt it?

If im going to do it, id defo go with the 3.1 conversion, so whatever size bore that would be (83mm??) not too sure?

just seems a lot though doesnt it.

Harras motor can potential be taken out 400cc approx, 4 litres from an r32 is double that expansion!!!

would be great though :D

Double 6 seems to be voicing his opinion loudly these days.

Well the price was copied directly from the EIP site matey so suck a plum.

The price is correct and then whatever parts you order you need to have them posted to you at some cost obviously.

Kevin, i'm not going to wase money making a mad VR cos i have a 600+bhp Skyline if i need to feel noise and power.

That's why my VR has remained at StgI for so long.

The R40 is a great idea and seemingly there is talk on the Vortex forum regarding this conversion but whom am I to argue, hope it's true.

rixy, enjoy the conversion mate, take no notice of them with littler engines :wink:

Chris