Sign in to follow this  
cheetham1980

VR6 PISTONS

Hi all

Having stumbled across this forum I am really really hoping someone can offer a bit of useful advise. Having purchased a vr6 a few months ago it is now in a sorry state and have been told by the garage that three of the pistons have gone and that they have to buy all six which will cost me a whopping £600 just for the parts plus a few other bits. Firstly does anyone know if this price is over priced and if so can they advise me where to get any at a cheaper price. Secondly, when they say pistons do they mean the piston rings? If so i have seen a set at an american shop which is selling these at a hugly reduced price but will these fit my vr6?? I have the part number but is there anywhere i can check on the internet from my VIn number to see if these will fit?

Any advice would be great as i really want to get back on the road ASAP as i love this car too much to give up on it.

Ross

What makes them think the pistons are gone? That's very unusual!

The parts will be pricey. No question.

Piston rings are less rare, but still it's unusual. How many miles has the engine done?

Which engine is it? 2.9?

Cheetham, The UK/Europe VR is a 2.9, this is a 2.8 overbored. There is only one oversize piston available from VAG for the VR and the 2.9 is already using it.

600 seems like a lot but it may be right. You might be better looking for a lower mileage 2.9. The VRs do beat their pistons/bores if the engine has been abused, missed oil changes. If it the bores that are worn, then you could overbore a 2.8 block and maybe reuse the pistons you have got.

The secondhand motor is probably the best way to go.

Gavin

Ooh shiny parts :-)

Gav is right, VW don't sell 2.9 overbore parts. You need 82.5mm Mahle pistons and rings to rebuild a 2.9, and that will give you a true 2900cc engine (well, 2897cc to be precise) compared with the current 2861cc. StealthRacing and other places can get the Mahles. If you want a regular 2861 rebuild, you need new 82mm pistons and rings, which VW do sell.....and then fit them to a bored out 2.8 (81mm) block.

Or you can use 83mm pistons such as the spangly ones above and make a 3.0 engine.

If you choose to go down the s/hand engine route, keep an eye on the forum as engines come up for sale, including a 24V 4Motion engine.

And if its just a couple of standard 2.9 pistons your looking for ive got 5 good spares. :wink:

That's a good engine in Xbone's car, smooth and grunty. It'll be up for grabs when he's fitted Coxy's 24V engine.... early next year I think he's planning on....