Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Turbo Supercharged G60

The easiest entry into this would be to drolp a TSI engine in I would have thought... there are bound to be some second hand ones soon as they've been on the roads over 6 months...

The easiest entry into this would be to drolp a TSI engine in I would have thought... there are bound to be some second hand ones soon as they've been on the roads over 6 months...

Sod that, if they are making a 2l TSI then that would be the one to use!

Good platform for some serious power, just need someone to produce uprated roots chargers to completment a bigger turbo.

Nah, twin turbos 8)

Interesting plan, small one on the front and a big one on the back, bet it would be really crap until the first turbo spooled up though!

um... Guys, that's not a twin turbo setup... :roll:

Twin turbo setups use 2 identical turbos, one each for half of the engine's cylinders (eg one turbo for left bank and one for the right bank on a V engine...)

BI-TURBO setups use 2 different turbos, one for low end, one for high end... ;)

Twin turbo, bi-turbo, sequential turbo - not an exact science in terms of how they are described.

The 335i BMW is set-up as Henny describes a bi-turbo but BMW call it sequential turbocharging

Sequential turbo is one small one and then a bigger one, that's what sequential means, one followed by the next!....so yes, BMW are using the word incorrectly. There's as you say, is a turbo per bank, so twin or bi turbo.

I believe the 335d uses sequential turbos though.

When have BMW ever made sense though? A 3.0 engine with a 335i badge? Or a 2.3 engine with a 325i badge?

not much point on a 4 pot let alone one without 2 banks of cylinders.

The subaru legacy B4 is a TT. 0 point. may as well use one good quality turbo.

Yeah 2.0 and smaller 4 pots don't really have enough exhaust flow to justify two turbos.

A GT3071R works very well with 1.4 litre capacity though, as a good mod is one per bank in a Porsche 911 :lol:

twin turbo is not a preferred setup, spool over from small to large turbo is a common problem..

ecu / boost controlling 2 turbos is tricky..

supra and rx-7 are an example of twin turbos as std, supra or skyline where its a 6 cylinder 1x turbo can service each "bank" of cylinders....etc ...esp where there are space constraints..

big power always requires big single turbo