Sign in to follow this  
spike16vgte

corrado vr6 vs astra gte 16v vs calibra turbo

new to forum so hello people.my best friend is a vw nut and loves them to bits.im more a vx fan.i have just sold my astra gte 16v and wanted a calibra turbo but best mate says i should get a corrado vr6.the question i wanted to know is why???.why should i buy a corrado vr6 over a calibra turbo yes the turbo would eat vr6 for breakfast in a race i have no doubts about that but after owning a mk2 astra i would like to have abit of a idea of whats going to happen when u go around a corner!!!!.i would love to hear a vr6 in a video clip or just the sound as around where i live there r no corrado vr6s at all.everyone seems to talk about this bca bma :oops: air filter so what power gains do u get and what does it sound like??????.so why should i get a vr6 over a turbo?.and dont talk about the transfer box on calibra they can break but doesnt everycar have something thats 'weak'.

you've missed the point on looks too, A Corrado beats a Calibra all day every day :)

do a search on here or Google Video for some clips, you'll find plenty :)

This is a question, not a comment.

:?: Would a calibra turbo beat a VR6 in a race? :?:

One of the reasons i like my corrado is 'exclusivity'. This might be slightly vain, but i dont care.

They're alot less common than calibras.

Far nicer looks wise.

You can strap a charger on the side.

The BMC CDA, is just a good quality carbon air filter, that doesnt make your car sound like a saxo with a 9" exhaust. Its quiet as a standard airbox around town, and people will know your coming when you give it some.

I agree about the Exclusitivity, I love it :)

If you wanna make more noise buy a paxo with a 19" exhaust and drive around McDonalds carparks all night :D

I bought my Magnex for the fact that it wasn't really loud

just go drive a good (and by good, i mean not a tired one with knackered suspension bushes) VR on some decent b-roads, open the throttle wide until you hit the redline (with the window open of course)...

calibra? what calibra...?

;)

the calibra would b right there!!!.ive driven a calibra turbo and they r fast alright but i havent driven a corrado vr6.the corrado i was looking at has done 160k but has full vwsh so should i b looking to buy or walking away?.the corrado is clean and has had loads of money spent on it.

thats a lot of miles, but people on here have them with more, all depends on the history mate (and prices).

you shouldn't really mention the two cars in the same sentence ;)

So long as it's had the tming chains done I'd say it'd be a good buy... what sort of money is it going for?

Straight line the calibra would probably have the edge. Its also easier to tune. But the corrado will last longer, looks better, handle's better and is far less common IMO.

surely you need to know the money before you can say whether it would be a good buy or not? ;)

what if he says £20k? :D

Yeah, I was going to point out the top gear clip!

"I own a Corrado"

"Oh, I've always wanted one of them!"

-----------

"I own a calibra"

"They're chavtastic! Which estate are you from?"

hmmm... might be worth a look - have you had a look through the 'cars for sale' section yet - there's some good VR's about at the moment for £3K and less 8)

as im a big vx fan is very hard to accept that a vw is better but i shall look in for sale bit.i still cant find any clips of a corrado vr6(filter and exhaust would b nice) anyone got any links to one????

If you're even considering a callibra you have come to the right place mate.

We'll set you straight and on the path to enlightenment. Step this way.......

Seriously Dude - a callibra or a Corrado VR6??? Sort it out fella. Thats a total no brainer and no one on here is gonna argue :)

hehe. I know of one person who owns a Calibra, and they have their first name tattoed on their chest.... says it all really....

I know one guy called Bob who used to own one, and he has a 'B' tattoed on each ar*e cheek for when he bends over (think about it).

I think that just about sums up callibra drivers in 2 elegant examples :)

after owning vxs for 11 years i just thought id like a change.i agree that calibras are not as good looking as a corrado but looks are not everything and i just want a car with some charm.i would still like to hear a vr6 fly by or a pass by.i live in the sticks in somerset so i dont really know what they sound like.and no im not stupid but i really wanna hear what all the fuss is about when it comes to the vr6 sound.

The best bit of the vr sound for me is the burbling and kinda gargling on the over-run. Such a nice sound. 2nd gear, coming up to a roundabout or junction, the last bit as the revs drop just sounds amazing.

God I'm sad.......

The best bit of the vr sound for me is the burbling and kinda gargling on the over-run. Such a nice sound. 2nd gear, coming up to a roundabout or junction, the last bit as the revs drop just sounds amazing.

I'm gonna totally agree with the description there.

I have my own vid file, but with a K&N cone filter and standard exhaust, the sound is the same with a standard airbox just heavily muted.

Lurvely!