Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Scooters (that can do more than 30mph) are appealing though and even more crazy mpg and cheapness to run!

I got my only 3 points on my licence for doing 38mph in a 30 zone on my Vespa :bonk: .....

A scooter would appeal!

I very nearly bought an electric one for commuting purposes. They have sorted a special deal out at work with a company that does something that basically looks like a Vespa, has a range of 40 miles, will do a top speed of 50MPH, is tax free, and they're eventually going to put charging points at work so I could run it for free as well.. was £1,500. But bit late now - committed to the Fiat! Besides, can't really drive to the football in Grimsby with my mate on an electric moped ;)

Boy we sure do like to jump to conclusions, eh Alex? :) ;)

I like cycling recreationally and will happily do 20-30 mile bike rides on a nice day. I did spent a little time cycle commuting last year (5 miles each way) but it just got boring quickly.

Jumping to conclusions! you admit as much look! bored indeed :lol: i aint about entertainment it's about getting to work.. I'd say my commute to work is hardly the most thrilling thing i do every day but then I'm not sure that's ever going to change! :p

can't fool me :smug:

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I must admit, cycling quickly loses it's appeal in the Winter months. Cold, dark and wet!

Scooters (that can do more than 30mph) are appealing though and even more crazy mpg and cheapness to run!

I'd say that's as bad (or worse) in the winter... putting on cold wet gear in order to go to work or come back from work after the end of the day... The worst thing about Biking! you can't knock the economy though and last time i had to tax my bike it was £15! flippin bargain. But it don't stop you getting wet! (unless you get one of those stupid ones with the roofs but i reckon you'd get slated more for that than a Fiat!)

Your better off with the 500.. you can't go on your weekly shop on a scooter after all. your 3 mile commute is hardly the only thing you'll be doing in it is it?

Indeed... I do plenty of other drives (parents on the east coast, football up in Grimsby, etc) :)

Good on ya, Jim! You've always had a soft spot since the relaunch. Nice little mota- perfect choice as a daily. I love my parents' Fabia tdi. Think we'll definitely downsize for the next car after the Octy.

leaving the commute free for the push bike! :p

lol.. you're pretty determined.. yes, I am too lazy. But I have tried and did cycle commute for a while. It just isn't for me!

Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ive just seen the thread title:( so the VRs gone, is everbody i know sellin there vr at the mo lol

fair play Jim;)

Jumping to conclusions! you admit as much look! bored indeed :lol: i aint about entertainment it's about getting to work.. I'd say my commute to work is hardly the most thrilling thing i do every day but then I'm not sure that's ever going to change! :p

can't fool me :smug:

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I'd say that's as bad (or worse) in the winter... putting on cold wet gear in order to go to work or come back from work after the end of the day... The worst thing about Biking! you can't knock the economy though and last time i had to tax my bike it was £15! flippin bargain. But it don't stop you getting wet! (unless you get one of those stupid ones with the roofs but i reckon you'd get slated more for that than a Fiat!)

Your better off with the 500.. you can't go on your weekly shop on a scooter after all. your 3 mile commute is hardly the only thing you'll be doing in it is it?

I dont know, I thought I would get a lot more wet on a scooter than I actually do ..... I've had it for four years now and can count on one hand how many times I've actually got seriously soaking wet !!!

Although admitedly I dont think I would use it to take my friends to a Grimsby football match :o

It's interesting considering everyone's love for one coupe how opinions differ on other cars..

I'm not a fan of the 500 at all, however there's something I like about the smart and I thought the MINI's I had as company cars were great..

Fair play though, I envy the thought of a modern daily, especially through winter!

Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ive just seen the thread title:( so the VRs gone, is everbody i know sellin there vr at the mo lol

fair play Jim;)

Jim's kept his VR, it's his red 16V that he's now sold.

Ian.

fair play Jim;)

No... still got the VR! 16V was sold mate :)

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

It's interesting considering everyone's love for one coupe how opinions differ on other cars..

I'm not a fan of the 500 at all, however there's something I like about the smart and I thought the MINI's I had as company cars were great..

Fair play though, I envy the thought of a modern daily, especially through winter!

It was the thought of another winter which drove me to hurry up and sort out a new motor. There is rust on the VR which needs attention and I was getting worried about what more damage would be done over the winter months :(

I female friend I know used to have one ;) At the first MOT it needed £1500 spent on it. £500 of that was tyres but the rest was suspension :o She'd only done 34,000 miles.

That is one of the only things I have heard about them... the dampers wear really quickly! So I did factor that into my decision making process... :)

That is one of the only things I have heard about them... the dampers wear really quickly! So I did factor that into my decision making process... :)

Good excuse for coilovers :D

As is the way, ever since this discussion came up I've seen a lot more of Fiat 500s on the roads :lol:

You'd do well to sign up to Fiat 500 forum cause all the members will be fit women :D

I have to say - after 3 years or so when the warranty is up, I'd consider coilies and some decent alloys.. I hear it handles like rails on proper suspension! :)

I must admit, cycling quickly loses it's appeal in the Winter months. Cold, dark and wet!

Na Hard men are made in winter :) personally i cant wait for winter to come as thats when i train hard to get fit for Majorca holiday in March, did 2000 miles in 8 weeks last year so will be hoping to hit similar this year too.

I know what Jim means about cant be bothered though as i sometimes have to force myself to work on the bike even in the summer as if i have nothing to train for it's hard to get motivated but knowing i have my March trip makes me go out in all weathers and once you're out it only goes through to the skin ;)

Scooter is a good idea too.....

I wish I had your resolve Kip.. I struggle to find the enthusiasm to exercise at all. It just bores the crap out of me. I really got into the cycling for a bit as you know and was really proud having done my first bike build earlier this year but the enthusiasm for that all has diminished again! It's frustrating :(

2000 miles in 8 weeks! Blimey! I really need to get a road bike. I go on 40-50 mile rides with my Dad most weekends. He's got a road bike and I've got a mountain bike but the small of my back really aches after about 20 miles. One for Kip really, but is this down to the frame geometry not being suitable for long distance riding? Being hunched over the handle bars seems to make it worse so I'm not sure a road bike would improve matters!

The problem I find with the road bike is not my back, but my neck... cause you really have to lift your head up to see where you're going and after a long ride, my neck is rather achey!

Kip is being modest too, Kev.. you should see how many miles he does in just a week out in Majorca!

Yeah that's true, although my Dad's is a hybrid thingy, so a racer in essence but with flat handle bars. If we swap over mid ride, his feels immediately more stable, faster and easier to ride. Getting back on mine, the resistance from the wide tyres is immediately obvious and the frame just feels weird and unnatural.....hmmmm... I'm talking myself into something else I can't afford...dammit!!

I love cycling but not to Kip's level :D

2000 miles in 8 weeks! Blimey! I really need to get a road bike. I go on 40-50 mile rides with my Dad most weekends. He's got a road bike and I've got a mountain bike but the small of my back really aches after about 20 miles. One for Kip really, but is this down to the frame geometry not being suitable for long distance riding? Being hunched over the handle bars seems to make it worse so I'm not sure a road bike would improve matters!

Perhaps one of these Kev?

PR30274_30_AL_Walker.jpg

Also Jim, do you even fit in a 500?

You forget, Mr Monkey that modern small cars are actually enormous. It's certainly a lot shorter than the Corrado but it's REALLY tall. I could probably drive around with a stovepipe hat on without any problems!