Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Really Have To Read This!

Todays conversation with a VW parts desk.

--------------------------------

Me: Can I have some prices for a Corrado?

VW: Whats a Corrado?

Me: It's a VW.

VW: Are you sure?

Me: Do you want the chassis number to prove it?

VW: Yeah, go on then.

little bit later on.....................

Me: An electric mirror switch, part of the drivers side door handle.

VW: Hmm, can't seem to find it.

Me: Mine doesn't work so it'd definately there.

VW: From what I remember Corrado's haven't got electric mirrors?

Me: But you'd never heard of them before speaking to me?

VW: Errr, I'll have another look.

......little bit more later on............

VW: Hmm, according to this, the Corrado rear badge is free!

Me: Eh?

VW: Yeah, price = £0.00

Me: Is it really, then I'll have 5 please. (with a hint of 'your an idiot' in my voice)

VW: Ok, then. Oh, wait a minute, it's no longer sold sorry.

and finally.........

Me: Ok, I'll order these parts................, thanks.

VW: Do you have the part numbers?

Me: How would I have them?

VW: Sorry, what we're you wanting again? I've shut the system off and I haven't written down any of the part numbers, thought you just wanted a price.

Me: You're an idiot aren't you?

VW: Sorry,didn't catch that?

Me: Ok, this is what I want!

VW: Ok, ready now.

Me: 2x washer jets, not heated.

VW: Ok, 2 washer jets, non heated for a Passat. Ok, next.

Me: (Hangs Up!)

A really inspiring tale!

I have to say though, that isn't the same across all dealers. The two or three I use around here are superb.....and they know what a Corrado is :-)

lol - it's just a nightmare dealing with VW sometimes!

I've been fairly fortunate that my local dealer is generally quite interested in helping out 'enthusiasts' and they happily offer me discounts where they can, etc and actually seem to be interested in helping! :)

what you also have to remember too is that generally most VW parts peeps aren't interested one bit in cars let alone Corrados.......my local VW stealer's parts guy is a sound kinda chap and absolutely hates corrados...........

Where do you go Jim?

I use the Cov branch and the old guy there is fully up to speed, but the younger ones dont seem interested. Now Leamington GSF are always keen to know, even since a massive staff change over - as the old staff used to be very clued up on technical stuff, whereas the current mob are just VW mad!!

Yeah - I go to Listers in Coventry as well rather than Spirit in Leamington. The manager of the parts dept is very good (even calls you sir, sorts the discount out automatically, knows the system well)

Oh god jim, don't get me started on spirit vw in leamington....aaaaarrrrrgghhhhh!!! I used to use listers in stratford, as a mate of mine worked there, but I've moved to leamington now.

lol - they a bit useless then? Do you know / want to know where VW in Coventry are?

Sounds just like my local dealers Andy, absolutely shockingly bad. I overheard a conversation last week whilst I was in Peter Coopers(VW dealer in Portsmouth) too. It was from a guy with an R32 who had steering vibration at 75mph. I thought ok thats probably just a wheel out of balance, no problem, just balance them up, quick suspension check perhaps. No. Vw service man has to speak to VW manager, tells him the problem, they then get a handful of "mechanics" involved. Then they speak to the guy on the phone again. Sorry sir because your problem is exhibited above the national speed limit for this country we won't be able to look at the fault for you. We can offer a full allignment but we need the car for the day and its going to cost over £100. Hmm (I'm thinking just take the car to any tyre dealer and get the wheel/s balance for a tenner). Awful service. They're prepared to sell a car capable of over 150mph but aren't interested in faults that occur at half of that speed. My dealers are shite, some of their parts people have asked me to spell Corrado, they ask me for the registration number every time to make sure they get the right (wrong usuallly) part. They won't take payments over the phone so I have had to drive a 25 mile round trip to prepay for a washer costing pence. Then back again when they've ordered it.

grrrrr

They're right next to where I work :-)

Ok, where do I work? Next to Listers :lol:, who are on Quinton Road in Coventry, exit 5 on the inner ring road (exit where the police station and 2 Accor hotels, Formule 1 and Ibis, are located). Can't miss Quinton Road, as the main sight is actually VW Listers :-)

Tempest

lol - dead easy to find.

Get on the A46 and follow it into Coventry. At the roundabout take the left and follow what becomes a two laned road (The London Road) all the way along - you'll go past a cemetary on your left and a Ford Dealer and the Coventry Tip (same place? :D) on the right.. keep following it till you get to some big traffic lights with the Transports Workers Union on your left / in front of you. Stay in the left hand lane and head up the slip road that joins the ring road but instead stay on the slip road and up to the next ring road junction. You'll be on a sort of elevated roundabout with the hotel Ibis to your left (first junction) and listers VW are the second exit..

Dead easy! Mention that you're part of the Corrado owners club when ordering and if they can do you any sort of discount.. they should do! :)

Sounds just like my local dealers Andy, absolutely shockingly bad. I overheard a conversation last week whilst I was in Peter Coopers(VW dealer in Portsmouth) too. It was from a guy with an R32 who had steering vibration at 75mph. I thought ok thats probably just a wheel out of balance, no problem, just balance them up, quick suspension check perhaps. No. Vw service man has to speak to VW manager, tells him the problem, they then get a handful of "mechanics" involved. Then they speak to the guy on the phone again. Sorry sir because your problem is exhibited above the national speed limit for this country we won't be able to look at the fault for you. We can offer a full allignment but we need the car for the day and its going to cost over £100. Hmm (I'm thinking just take the car to any tyre dealer and get the wheel/s balance for a tenner). Awful service. They're prepared to sell a car capable of over 150mph but aren't interested in faults that occur at half of that speed. My dealers are ****, some of their parts people have asked me to spell Corrado, they ask me for the registration number every time to make sure they get the right (wrong usuallly) part. They won't take payments over the phone so I have had to drive a 25 mile round trip to prepay for a washer costing pence. Then back again when they've ordered it.

grrrrr

The few times ive gone to Peter Cooper they have been very helpful, one of the guys wasnt sure what part i meant so was happy for me to take him to the car and show him where it should be went straight back to ETKA and found it!

Must admit the dealers do seem much more helpful in person than on the phone.

Just watch your speed going down the A46 though mate - they quite often stick a speed scamera van on one of the overpasses.. seen so many cars belting down there that must have been done! Its normally facing the A46 coming back out of Coventry and its on a bit of a clever corner - ie by the time you've flown round it and spotted the van they've already nailed you!

The few times ive gone to Peter Cooper they have been very helpful, one of the guys wasnt sure what part i meant so was happy for me to take him to the car and show him where it should be went straight back to ETKA and found it!

Must admit the dealers do seem much more helpful in person than on the phone.

There is a new guy in there, young bloke, he's ok but the rest of them.....

Chichester, Petersfield and Hedge End are much better, but a bit further out of the way for me.

Todays conversation with a VW parts desk.

I'd rephrase your conversations in future. I hate calling people to sort stuff, its much better to go in person. Even my trust VAG dealer & GSF both manage to quote one price and part # then give a completely different one when I turn up.

Conversation should go...

--------------------------------

Me: Im after some quotes of spare parts for my Volkswagen Corrado VR6 (199X model), engine code XXXX?

VW: Whats a Corrado?

Me: Probably the best coupe car VW have made.

VW: Are you sure?

Me: True, its a matter of oppinion. Do you want the chassis number to prove it does exist? VW: Yeah, go on then.

Me: An internal electric mirror switch, part of the drivers side door handle within the car door.

VW: Hmm, can't seem to find it.

Me: Ah, you must be new to the VW IT system; call in a senior member of staff please.

------

Me: Ok, I'll order these parts................, thanks.

VW: Do you have the part numbers?

Me: No, but you do. Click back and call them up again.

VW: Sorry, what we're you wanting again? I've shut the system off and I haven't written down any of the part numbers, thought you just wanted a price.

Me: Parts for my beloved VW. Whats your full name sonny? And get me your manager on the line.

VW probable response: Billy, Billy-Joe-Bob. Whats a manager? I'll go get my daddy...

:lol:

I've been tempted to go to Peter Cooper in the past. I usually use Winchester Motor Company for parts, they're actually pretty good on the parts desk. Don't like the service weasels tho. Had a discussion along the lines of;

me:My rear brakes don't work, I am sure the bias valve is wrong, can you fix this?

them:that's clearly not the problem, why don't you bend over the bonnet while we do you with a torque wrench? and charge you £250 for stuff that isn't wrong, that doesn't make a difference to your problem?

me:no ta, you wooly headed goon, I'll use a cable tie and jam the valve open thank you very much.

Yeh i always find the cov listers very good, the other day i got a reciept form there and it said the parts managers name was Ian Birch, isn't that the name of the Dubsport geezer?

classic..

sounds like parts departments everywhere tbh.

I was speaking to the girl on parts at work today:

me: can you tell me the price to fit a tracker to a mini cooper s please.

parts: it costs £299.

me: yes, but whats the cost to fit it.

parts: its doesnt say.

me: but i need to know, who should i speak to?

parts: well it would be ordered through me.

me: so i need to get a price from you then?!

parts: it costs £479 including fitting.

me: so the fitting charge is £180 then?

parts: I dont know, I can only tell you what the computer says.

me: ...and the computer says no? *coughs*

:lol:

my biggest fear when ever i pick up a phone in work is the word beetle or t5 transporter along with Skoda.......

....all absolute pigs to find proper parts for.

....on the other side though if the magical 535 is read out hand over the dog and bone pronto.