Sign in to follow this  
joby

Peugeot 306 XSi

Karmann,

No, I think you are thinking of the 106 Rallye which came originally as a 1.4 (later as a 1.6) with white wheels IIRC. It is meant to be a superb drive, as is the 306 Rallye. I haven't driven either but read any reviews of either car and they rate very highly indeed.

I did drive a 306 2.0 xsi about 6 years ago and was impressed with the handling. I'd imagine the Rallye version would be a bit of a weapon and a close match for a VR6 on a twisty B road if both drivers were of similar ability.

Euan

'94 VR6

Yeah,i also drive a HDI 306 and its a good little machine-but raddo wins hands down on most things except the stalk for the cd player.

Cheers Fraser

Blimey.

You guys don't go easy on your condemnation of other forums!

And I gotta say, this place is one of the best for not thinking that 'our cars are the greatest' and 'everyone elses is sh*te' - honestly we only reserve that kind of judgement for cars like Corsa's and Nova's - but thats the same as ANY forum :)

have u got an 8v xsi or a 16v? the 8v are shite :p I own a 306 Dturbo - tweeked the fuelling a turbo, and its about the same speed as the xsi 8v! Theres not much between a Rallye and a Gti6... but either should be able to beat a standard G60, and will be a close match to a standard VR6

how did you tweak the fuelling on the D turbo mate? :) - got a XRDT with the same engine and want to give it little more poke 8)

Scott

:lol: Not telling! Come on at least we are being honest and we like the Corrado VR6! I look forward to meeting you G60 guys on the road! Just check out that GTi-6 badge as I disappear into the horizon! :mrgreen:

There isnt one GTi-6 in the world in standard form that can match a VR6 in standard trim..... even my mate who owns a S reg GTi-6 describes the performance as 'nippy' but not mind blowing........ :lol:

:lol: Not telling! Come on at least we are being honest and we like the Corrado VR6! I look forward to meeting you G60 guys on the road! Just check out that GTi-6 badge as I disappear into the horizon! :mrgreen:

You might struggle if you come across most members g60's on this site :cry:

Sandy

Hey all,

had a drive of a mate's GTi-6 at the weekend and it handles pretty well, but feels a tad underpowered and plasticky interior. And definetly no match for my G60, but then that's not surprising :lol:

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

The 306GTi-6 is nippy and not mind blowing in the straight line stakes, and its forte is its combination of handling balance and enthusiasm. It has a very energetic twin cam engine that snarls as you approach the 7000 rpm mark and its 6 gears allow you to drop right the next gears sweet spot. The car has a dynamic balance that is difficult to surpass.

You can say that it is like a bigger and stronger 205 GTi 1.9 with all the modern refinements with the dangerous edges shaved off. Its handling and steering feel allow you to play with its stance through corners with a super sensitive accelerator pedal and a telapathic and feelsome steering response. Difficult to beat as a fwd drivers car!

Its true that the build quality is nowhere near as solid as the VW but I would take it anyday of the week over the boring Mk 3 or Mk 4 Golf GTI!

The 306GTi-6 is nippy and not mind blowing in the straight line stakes, and its forte is its combination of handling balance and enthusiasm. It has a very energetic twin cam engine that snarls as you approach the 7000 rpm mark and its 6 gears allow you to drop right the next gears sweet spot. The car has a dynamic balance that is difficult to surpass.

You can say that it is like a bigger and stronger 205 GTi 1.9 with all the modern refinements with the dangerous edges shaved off. Its handling and steering feel allow you to play with its stance through corners with a super sensitive accelerator pedal and a telapathic and feelsome steering response. Difficult to beat as a fwd drivers car!

Its true that the build quality is nowhere near as solid as the VW but I would take it anyday of the week over the boring Mk 3 or Mk 4 Golf GTI!

So basically reading between the lines you have to rev the bollards off the Pug to get it to respond within the rev range to make for entertainment...???

Dont get me wrong it sounds great - but people dont buy a VR6 to do that..... :D

I bought a VR6 for its low down torque and beautiful roar of nearly 200bhp at just 4000rpm.... *:)

As for the handling I have a Pug 306 XDT and it handles very well... but its no where near a match for my VR6 8)

Scott

I bought a VR6 for its low down torque and beautiful roar of nearly 200bhp at just 4000rpm.... *:)

Sorry to be a party pooper Scott, but at 4k rpm you'll only just be making 170-ish BHP, power peaks at approx. 5500 rpm.

More importantly torque peaks around 4200rpm.... :evil:

have u got an 8v xsi or a 16v? the 8v are shite :p I own a 306 Dturbo - tweeked the fuelling a turbo, and its about the same speed as the xsi 8v! Theres not much between a Rallye and a Gti6... but either should be able to beat a standard G60, and will be a close match to a standard VR6

how did you tweak the fuelling on the D turbo mate? :) - got a XRDT with the same engine and want to give it little more poke 8)

Scott

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.waters1/306_tuning.htm

The DTurbos don't have an ECU, and therefore you can manually play with the fuelling and airflow yourself. That guide posted above is something I wrote when adjusting the turbo pressure and fuelling on my DT. It's really easy to do if you have some experience in working with cars. :)

So basically reading between the lines you have to rev the bollards off the Pug to get it to respond within the rev range to make for entertainment...???

Dont get me wrong it sounds great - but people dont buy a VR6 to do that..... :D

As for the handling I have a Pug 306 XDT and it handles very well... but its no where near a match for my VR6 8)

Scott

You have read incorrectly between the lines ! The 306 does love to be revved but responds very well from 3500 and above. Also it has 6 sportingly spaced gears to ensure that you are always in the meat pf the rev range. The 306 GTi6 and Rallye will outhandle a Corrado around the twisties and will challenge the VR6 around the bigger bends too. The GTi6 will also inform the driver will its feelsome steering in a way that a Corrado driver will only dream of. It handles very very differently than the much softer and heavy fronted diesel engined 306 just as the Corrado VR6 handles differently from a Golf Mk3 TD 90bhp...

I do like the VR6 Corrado and am impressed that it pulls well from low down, but it should do in a relatively light car with a 2.9 almostV 6 engine. I also agree that a VR6 will beat a GTi6 or Rallye in a straight line, but so it should with an engine that is 50% bigger!

Don't get me wrong as I like the Corrado VR6 very much but for the money (purchase price and running costs) the 306 offers more in the smile per mile ratio.

One thing for sure we should all be happy that we have all got decent drivers cars to enjoy. Think of all the poor b*stards who are putputting around in their mundane mobiles when for reasonable money they could have a vR6 or a GTi6.

Happy motoring you V W dubbers! All comments meant in good humour!

[/b][/u]

Yeah absolutely mate.

I don't think we mean to come across as being high and mighty.. its not like our cars cost any more than yours or anything stupid like that - they can all be bought for the same kind of dollar these days, and its just a question of what you want out of your car! I think the majority of us lot just love the shape of the Corrado (I know I do) and I just find it difficult to find identify car in the same price range to better it - i'm sure you can buy more more affordable and reliable performance for the money though. Like the GTi6!!

Can't argue with the fact that the Corrado's are expensive to keep on the road.

All comments taken (and given!) in good humour too - don't worry :)

Fair do mate - I'm not a fan of high revving engines hence why questioned - if it picks up from those kind of revs then its a better engine than I thought as most valvers dont seem to go well at all until around 4k rpm.... my mates 170bhp Celica is a prime example (nothing happens till 5k rpm!!)... wouldnt mind a test drive in one!! - not a chance of getting my mitts on my mates :lol:

The 306 is a good car - I put 40k miles on mine a year - its reliable and handles better than 95% of most hot hatches - when the time comes to trade mine in I will be upgrading it to a phase 2 HDi model that I'm told isnt as tunable but is a good car in its own right. 145lbft torque from a 90bhp diesel aint no small figure and thats the mechanical injection one!!! 8)

Corrados are expensive cars but then thats what you pay for a car you rarely see on the road and was made in small numbers.... its a car that turns heads where ever we go and gets respect from people in the know and questioning looks from those who dont.... thats why I bought a VR6 :)

So ok it can be beat round corners by serious machinery but has the cubes to out accelerate quite alot even now when the youngest is 9yrs old... thats some mean feat but there is no denying that the Corrado shape is simply one of the best looking coupes of all time.

mucho respect Pug geezer 8)

Scott

Just to add my 2p seeing as i've owned a gti6, and now have a VR6. They are very different cars, and in a straight line the VR6 is undoubtably faster, but I am convinced over a bumpy b-road that the gti6 would be quicker. Now this may be down to my driving, but the thing that makes the gti6 a great car imo is the feeling of confidence it inspires - you can get in it and drive fast, just like that. The corrado requires a lot more concentration (mine does anyway) to acheive the same kind of speed, which detracts from the fun a bit. Of course the C has other advantages over the 306, like the noise, which more than make up for it! :D

I'd say i prefer the vr6, only just, but it's definatly down to individual taste when cars are this closely matched. :)

Sorry to be a party pooper Scott, but at 4k rpm you'll only just be making 170-ish BHP, power peaks at approx. 5500 rpm.

More importantly torque peaks around 4200rpm.... :evil:

I stand corrected 8) :lol:

I should know this as have the ruddy power graph lol!!!

No, I think you are thinking of the 106 Rallye which came originally as a 1.4 (later as a 1.6) with white wheels IIRC.

Nope, originally 1300 then 1400.

It is meant to be a superb drive,

They are. My mate's ex-girlfriend's 1300 was a riot. You don't drive it, you wear it. Far more responsive and mallable than the 306. A good little engine in them, 1300 8V which flies round to 7000rpm as quickly as a VTEC. They max out at 120mph but these things excel in urban thrashes and B road blasts. I just don't dig on red carpets and seat belts and minimal sound proofing. It's tiringly noisy on long journeys.

All this "which is faster" is purely academical. It's 70% driver skill and then the rest is the car. It's easy saying "X is faster than Y" on a B road if your following which ever. Not only are you in their slipstream, you're mimicking their lines. If you're in front, you have to do the navigation, picking the right line, feeling the tarmac and taking all the wind resistance. The car behind may aswell be an extra set of rear wheels.

My old MK2 Golf 16V Turbo could keep up with a 306 GTI-6 easily in all driving conditions. Likewise, if I was in front, he could keep up.....except on the straights, but straight line driving isn't difficult.

If you know your car inside out, you're 90% of the way there. You can spot people that aren't truly committed or confident as they're very tentative around demanding bends. They tend to brake too late as the front wheels pitch, and then the rear skips out of shape. Easy pickings for the more confident driver.

As I say, driver skill first, then the car.

And if you're talking proper FWD handling, then a well driven Integra type R will beat all of us.

K

No, I think you are thinking of the 106 Rallye which came originally as a 1.4 (later as a 1.6) with white wheels IIRC.

Nope, originally 1300 then 1400.

K

ahem wrong too kev..............1.3 originally(1994-ish IIRC) then 1998> 1.6 :wink:

I think Rodders should change his name to Statto!

more like saddo :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .........too much time spent reading mags for useless facts and figures :roll: :oops: :-P :-P

The Gti-6 is a lovely little beast! I have been in my mates (never driven it) but it goes like stink and handles beautifully. I know it may look like other 306's but at the end of the day, that is kind of the fun! The beauty of having someone tailgating you thinking that you have a standard 306 under the hood and then pulling away and leaving them in the distant rear view.

I know that the Pug is definitely quicker than standard g60's but of course the 'enhanced' g60 owners on this forum could leave us standard VR6 drivers for dead!

I would say the VR6 is quicker than the GTi-6 but not outrageously quicker. I would say that the GTi-6 is more comparable to the Golf VR6 but handles better!

WORDS OF EVO MAG:

The 306 GTi-6:

+One of the great GTi's - They don't make it anymore (5 stars)

Quoted by Kevhaywire - My old MK2 Golf 16V Turbo could keep up with a 306 GTI-6 easily in all driving conditions. Likewise, if I was in front, he could keep up.....except on the straights, but straight line driving isn't difficult.

I was just about to say bullsh*te when I noticed you said Golf Mk2 GTi 16v TURBO! What kind of power does that produce? Must have lowered the compression ratio significantly! A standard 306GTi-6 would have Mk2 Golf 16vs for breakfast though! Your turboed version must have had uprated suspension and brakes though as the 306 would outhandle and outbrake a mk2 Golf GTi 16v

I like Nick Micouris's unbiased view of the 306 because I think that is pretty much spot on!

I love suprising those fast lane BMW drivers who think I am a XRDT and that they have got me in their sights... snick it down to 5th (18mph/1000rpm) or even 4th and pull away watching their jaws drop. :lol:

Quoted by Kevhaywire - My old MK2 Golf 16V Turbo could keep up with a 306 GTI-6 easily in all driving conditions. Likewise, if I was in front, he could keep up.....except on the straights, but straight line driving isn't difficult.

I was just about to say bullsh*te when I noticed you said Golf Mk2 GTi 16v TURBO! What kind of power does that produce? Must have lowered the compression ratio significantly! A standard 306GTi-6 would have Mk2 Golf 16vs for breakfast though! Your turboed version must have had uprated suspension and brakes though as the 306 would outhandle and outbrake a mk2 Golf GTi 16v

It was giving 210bhp and 205ft/lb torque in a shell weighing 980kg. Afforded with all that torque in such a light car gave it phenomenal in-gear acceleration. I'm not interested in 0-60, that's a dated and worthless measurement. I prefer squeezing the throttle and letting the torque do the work. I don't like rowing gearboxes, which is why the turbo on the 1800 16V engine makes a rewarding difference.

CR was dropped from 10:1 to 8.5:1 by offset bushing the small end bearings. The KR 1800 block is Sherman tank strong and can run around 250 brake on the standard internals. Not bad for a 25 year old design. Any more and you need forged pistons and a steel crank..... then it starts getting really expensive.

I would expect GTI-6s eat NA MK2 16Vs for breakfast, as you said yourself, I should hope so given the Peugeot has 200cc extra, an extra gear and nearly 30 more horsepower. The Golf is an 80s car, and so is the Corrado, and it shows mechanically. The GTI-6 is part of the current breed of light weight, stiff and powerful hatches with decent suspension. I know the GTI-6 is a derivative of the 80s MI16 engine but it has been breathed on quite significantly. Plus, the French are the suspension masters, bettered only by Lotus, so you get great handling out of the box. Us VW boys have to work at that but it's worthwhile and brings the car up to date handling wise.

Disputes such as these can go on forever, and historically they do. At the end of the day, if what you own and drive pleases you, good on you, live and let live. I just don't have time for people that categorically state "My car's faster than yours" without sufficient proof. And does it really matter? Not everybody chooses a car to inflate their egos with numerous conquests. You never see 911 driver's thrashing around beating everything and then boasting about it on forums. Just seems to be people with under 200 bhp that seem to have something to prove all the time.

And in closing, I would say a VR6 Corrado and a GTi-6 are an even match on paper and in the real world, it's down to the driver to showcase what each can achieve.

K